Author Topic: Armor Skill in the Master NPC Table  (Read 1575 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Armor Skill in the Master NPC Table
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Hey all,

One of my players is working on a spreadsheet to build NPCs for me using the NPC master table from the HARP SF book.  He stumbled upon something that he has asked me about.

"If the NPC table assumes no stat mods, how can the NPCs have an armor skill of 0?"

So I was just wondering if this should really be -25, +5, or if +0 was right and the table was just a simplification/approximation tool.

I seem to remember a question about if a negative armor skill actually made the armor penalty worse - but I don't remember the answer to that one.  Maybe my answer lies there as well.  I'll have to search for that.

But if anyone knows the answer to this one please let me know!

Thanks,
-Pyrotech

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Armor Skill in the Master NPC Table
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
If you have no Armor skill, then the maneuver penalty to all Agility/Quickness-based skills from your armor is the maximum fitted / unfitted penalty as appropriate. Having Armor skill is all about buying off the armor's maneuver penalty. It is never intended to be used as a maneuver roll itself, so the unskilled -25 penalty never comes into play.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Armor Skill in the Master NPC Table
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
Thanks Nicholas!

The more I thought about it that was the answer I was expecting to hear, I just couldn't remember the details on the armor skill discussion.

Thanks again,
-Pyrotech