Author Topic: Munchkin Confessional  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Munchkin Confessional
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
Years ago playing with a certain GM, all the players had to learn to min/max due to the GMs anti-PC outlook.

He didn't allow potentials, so stats were lower. You had to pay DPs to increase stats, a lot of DPs too. He never gave any extra DPs but mandated you had to have the right skill. We did use RM2 and all those skills. Oh, and no similar skill either. You had the exact right skill or you didn't.

Then his NPCs were powerful. But when we got a hand on their items, he'd have a magic eating monster come and now your x2 PP is gone, or whatever stupid stuff.

Looking back at it now, he really wasn't a good GM. I remember trying to buy items, when asking "How much for this +5 magic shortsword that you have 10 of in stock" the response was always "How much you got?" Couldn't stand that the price was dependent on how much I had, ofcourse that as GM he knew but the vendor never did.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 02:03:04 AM »
I once inadvertently created what I would call a munchkin character these days.

Fighter with duel wield using Adrenal Speed in combination with talents that resulted in a huge OB, massive concussion hits, and consistently reliable use of adrenal skills.  The concept of the character was not intended to create a monster... but it did.  Imagine four attacks per round with an OB far closer to 200 than 100.  Freaking combat blender.  I actually started to see the problem before everyone else, but the final straw was when the GM had to throw in a foe just for me... and when I went down due to a lucky knockout crit it fairly easily overpowered the rest of the group.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »
A GM allowed us to pick the BGs in Comp 1 instead of rolling them, so I made a Magus that picked spells as an Archmage, had 2X Powerpoints, double range in spells, learned Martial arts as a warrior monk, payed 2/5 for the first weapon catagory AND could use Psionics.  ;D

My mage Fee, lol  +1
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Experiments from RM2:

The halfling mage that I allowed to have the Crystal Mastery spell list. Bolt spells cast through the crystals doing 2 and 3 times damage, other crystals for more PPs, etc. It was ugly.

The Monty Haul group I ran, made specifically for munchkin playing. Stats were 95+ with several 101s for the 4 characters. The worst was the 10th level Noble Warrior with one of the really cool swords from C&T that killed a mature fire drake in 2 rds without a scratch. Don't think we played with them after that.

Weapon Kata. Never allowed it again after seeing a monk use it for about 5 levels. Bad news, martial arts is enough without the extra OB and criticals.
On Weapon Kata, the definition needs to be changed to "allows PC to alter critical type delivered using his martial arts at -20 OB mod."  So the MA Table is still used with rank limitations on damage and such and the martial artist must carry round the weapon, or make one up using objects around him.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
Combining the two BG options that A) let you get a spell list to lvl 50, and B) allow you to have automatic ESF rolls on a spell list (I think both were introduced in RMCI). That basically meant that you could cast any spell on that spell list to lvl 50 without any prep time, nor spending any PPs.

-shnar

I have suffered this. The Cleric in my game has the automatic ESF BGO and at first level cast lesser demonic gate and scared the bejesus out of the entire party and the dark elves they were fighting.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »
While I wouldn't quite put it in the "Munchkin" category, we had a summoner accidentally summon a NAMED demon during a fight (which he hadn't gained the spell/skill required to control) due to his dice rolls.  As soon as the player said "Uh oh" we all ran for cover since we knew, roughly, what was going to happen. We got a rounds worth of hiding/cover/fleeing in while the bad guys stood around in confusion, the demon coalescing in the middle of the room.  It went after them first (since they were closest) and we high-tailed it out of there as fast as we could.

The funny thing is the story line revolved around a 'plague of demons' in the desert. We later learned from a traveling merchant that the town was pretty much leveled in the end... everyone expressing their shock that things had gotten so bad.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss