Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 281807 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #540 on: September 15, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
Currently struggling with the NE Jaiman timeline. Need to integrate factors from Xa-ar, Cloudlords, Iron Wind, Jaiman and some larger events, and not make it too long. So much to remember! Brain hurts!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #541 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »
Terry, forgive my spotty memory as I know this has been answered before but is either Iron Wind or Vog Mur due for a possible revision? I know you mentioned being hesitant about touching at least one of them due to... rights or old file formats or some such?

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #542 on: September 16, 2014, 02:26:09 AM »
Terry, forgive my spotty memory as I know this has been answered before but is either Iron Wind or Vog Mur due for a possible revision? I know you mentioned being hesitant about touching at least one of them due to... rights or old file formats or some such?

NP. Part of Vog Mur was actually reprinted in Emer II (and will be again) with Pete's permission, but a lot is not relevant as part of Shadow World. Iron Wind was written by several other people besides me, and I am reluctant to dive in and change much. The original is available through GCP. With so many other projects on my plate in addition to those issues, I don;t see a new IW coming out any time soon.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #543 on: September 16, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
Good to know and thanks for the answer, Terry. Pity about Iron Wind, I'd certainly love to own a modern, updated version, but I can definitely understand your reluctance and your already more-than-full plate of projects. ;)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #544 on: September 17, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
Busy-busy-busy on NE Jaiman! Lots of progress on regions, interesting places, and animals. Also begun mapping out the Subshuttle system. I love it when I am in a productive cycle! (And oops, need to finish that last adventure of Gryphon...) 8)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #545 on: September 17, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
Busy-busy-busy on NE Jaiman! Lots of progress on regions, interesting places, and animals. Also begun mapping out the Subshuttle system. I love it when I am in a productive cycle! (And oops, need to finish that last adventure of Gryphon...) 8)

Remember, sleep is overrated!
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #546 on: September 17, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »
Terry, when time permits and at your leisure, have you ever considered writing a tell-all blog about the creative process and discussions, meetings, etc, that provided the genesis for Shadow World? I think it would make for a fascinating insight as to how this fantasy world and some of its particulars came about, though I'm unsure how in depth you can get given any lingering rights with the old ICE and any others who may have contributed to the project, like Pete.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #547 on: September 17, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Terry, when time permits and at your leisure, have you ever considered writing a tell-all blog about the creative process and discussions, meetings, etc, that provided the genesis for Shadow World? I think it would make for a fascinating insight as to how this fantasy world and some of its particulars came about, though I'm unsure how in depth you can get given any lingering rights with the old ICE and any others who may have contributed to the project, like Pete.

Wow, that's so long ago... and it's really probably not all that interesting as far as SW. I was given a pretty free hand as far as setting up the world, after it was decided that we wanted to have an actual 'world' support for RM, rather than the generic Loremaster modules. The biggest debate came over the outside material that we would accept. The financial people wanted to crank out a lot of volume, and someone else wanted the modules to be more generic, and not have to adhere closely to my overall concept of the world. Naturally I was not thrilled about that, so we got several books, that (while not necessarily bad in themselves) were not really "Shadow World."
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #548 on: September 18, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
Well, as I delve into running a Middle-Earth game and have been reading The Court of Ardor, I can see some of the genesis there, and in other ICE MERP products.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #549 on: September 18, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
Well, as I delve into running a Middle-Earth game and have been reading The Court of Ardor, I can see some of the genesis there, and in other ICE MERP products.

Hah, well true enough. Court of Ardor was, as Pete Fenlon once said, a 'rogue project.' Though I was never quite sure what he meant, it was certainly unlike any other MERP module, and perhaps had more of a proto-Shadow World flavor than Middle-earth. Maybe ironically, it's the most expensive module if you try to buy it on ebay. I once sold a copy for over $400.

Anyway, I'm curious what SW genesis you might have seen in other MERP books? Naturally there were beginnings in the Loremaster books, especially Iron Wind and Tanara. It's so long ago now that I doubt I could remember much about my thought processes at the time. I remember being on a terrible deadline to get the Emer boxed set books out...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #550 on: September 18, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #551 on: September 19, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »
So, it looks like Scotland is staying in the United Kingdom! I'm personally relieved, though I think that Scotland certainly has some legitimate grievances that I hope will be addressed. Being equal parts Scottish/Welsh/English/German and a shameless Anglophile, I was following this closely. Back when I was a kid my family drove around Scotland: we visited Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, Edinburgh, Glasgow and I remember a town called Pitlochry. We also visited several cool castles.

Anyway, back to Shadow World. Lots more done on Wuliris, last touches on Green Gryphon, and started a long edit on a submitted module about the city of Lethys. Lots of interesting ideas, but it will have some input from me. We'll see how it goes!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline zyax1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Lethys -the city
« Reply #552 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
So, it looks like Scotland is staying in the United Kingdom! I'm personally relieved, though I think that Scotland certainly has some legitimate grievances that I hope will be addressed. Being equal parts Scottish/Welsh/English/German and a shameless Anglophile, I was following this closely. Back when I was a kid my family drove around Scotland: we visited Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, Edinburgh, Glasgow and I remember a town called Pitlochry. We also visited several cool castles.

Anyway, back to Shadow World. Lots more done on Wuliris, last touches on Green Gryphon, and started a long edit on a submitted module about the city of Lethys. Lots of interesting ideas, but it will have some input from me. We'll see how it goes!

How much of that Scotland trip now is in Shadow World? I love Scotland myself, have to go there again to cover the parts I did not in the last trips.

Besides, I like you being productive Terry I hope the editor Terry get into some material too ;)
http://lethys.joabsson.se/

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #553 on: September 19, 2014, 01:00:23 AM »

How much of that Scotland trip now is in Shadow World? I love Scotland myself, have to go there again to cover the parts I did not in the last trips.

I was only 12-13 years old on that trip, but many fond memories. As for SW influence, purely subconscious. (Of course the Haalkitaine book is heavily based on England... I spent a lot of resarch on those titles.)

We went on these cute mini-bus tours in England to see several cathedrals and Stonehenge, then took a train from London to Edinburgh, and then the driving was hilarious, as I was the navigator while my mother drove (on the left side was quite exciting)! My return trips as an adult were limited to London, Oxford, and a few locations in SE. I'd love to go back to Scotland some day.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #554 on: September 19, 2014, 01:46:04 AM »
That is a sweet desk.

Are you going to make one with all of your extra free time?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #555 on: September 19, 2014, 01:58:16 AM »
That is a sweet desk.

Are you going to make one with all of your extra free time?
MDC

Hah! Actually when I was in my teens I built a desk with a folding cover and a sliding work surface and lots of little drawers. And I also built a harpsichord (yes, from a kit, but wow talk about a project). So I was a rather crafty boy back in high school (too bad D&D had not been invented!)

Here is a link to the harpsichord kit I built, I guess they are still in business!

http://www.zhi.net/instr/FS56ZHI-K.shtml
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #556 on: September 19, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
Holy ****, Batman. That Harpsicord kit looks like a lot of work and of course the picture looks amazing.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #557 on: September 19, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
Holy ****, Batman. That Harpsicord kit looks like a lot of work and of course the picture looks amazing.
MDC

Our paint job was MUCH simpler, but we did get the paper that went along the inside around the keyboard. But all the internal workings were the same. Ironically, no one in our house could play keyboard! We had to have friends over to play it. The plectrum (the little things that plug the strings) were a little stiff on mine, so you had to press the keys hard, but otherwise it worked pretty hard. Harpsichord action is very different than on a piano.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #558 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »
[…] I designed that special PDF of printable GM handouts for the Xa-ar module. However, I never got much feedback on it, so wasn't sure if it was worth doing for books since.
Ok, here's some feedback. I liked it and would appreciate printable handouts in future products.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #559 on: September 25, 2014, 03:13:40 AM »
[…] I designed that special PDF of printable GM handouts for the Xa-ar module. However, I never got much feedback on it, so wasn't sure if it was worth doing for books since.
Ok, here's some feedback. I liked it and would appreciate printable handouts in future products.

Thanks Vurkanan! Anyone else? Maybe we can figure out a way to give away the handouts PDF to people who write reviews for the modules... heh heh.  8) :-X
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.