Author Topic: PDF Form HARP Fantasy PC Sheet  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
PDF Form HARP Fantasy PC Sheet
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
I sent a HARP Fantasy PDF fill-able form to the vault that should be approved soon. Everything is fill-able. There is one extra unofficial skill (Chi Balance) included in the Concentration category. If it is requested I will work on and submit another character sheet without the added skill.

Please provide feedback via this thread as I am making that same form semi automated so most of the basic math (if not all) will be automatically calculated.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: PDF Form HARP Fantasy PC Sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:30 AM »
for all us lazy ####'s can you link the location to your post?
It also makes it easier for google search traffic to come find it directly.

cheers :)
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:44:04 AM »
Overall its really good job..

The only criticism i have is that the skills sections can be a bit fiddly to click in and  edit due to size but I can see that it was cleary an ordeal to get all the skills to fit in.

if you suceed in getting most of it automated that will be absolutely awesome.
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
I'm working on the simple automation right now like the skill bonus plus stat bonus plus special bonus and so on. It is much harder than originally thought because when I want to add the sum of several cells I have to go into a list (that contains every named cell in the entire spreadsheet) and click on every individual cell. It is tedious and slow work. Plus I have to save it after just about every new entry I make because for some reason every so often the spreadsheet locks up and I have shut it down and restart it. The first couple times it happened slowed me down a lot, but now I save every entry. The more complex formulas are a little more difficult because I don't know javascript much less the Acrobat tweaked javascript. I'm trying to get some help off the Acrobat forums but the people on there don't say much except that it is possible to do this or that, but don't list any code.... Very annoying.

The slightly complex codes I am trying to write are for the rank bonuses (1-10 +5 per level, 11-20 +2 per level, etc), the stat bonuses and the Racial bonuses. I also can't figure out how to add text to the output of a formula or how to add the stat bonus in skills that have variable stats. If I can get someone to help me figure out how to simulate a table in Acrobat then most of my problems are solved.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »
I have succeeded in getting just about the whole PDF automated. The only thing that isn't automated is adding in skill ranks and a few other things. Also, right now the skill costs are set no matter what you do. So if you choose human and take the "skill flexibility" ability then you have to pencil in the cost. On that note the PDF does not auto calculate how many ranks you get or have left when leveling up. There is also a slight problem with the PDF not calculating in a sum in the last field (or cell) you changed a or added a modifier, you have to go into another field (cell) and type a 0 or clear the field out (the field has to actually change) to get it to calculate the last actual modifier you added. If your still adding numbers or bonuses it doesn't matter until you get to the last one.

Also, I just noticed how crappy the human special abilities are. All of them focus on and only really affect starting level. I was wondering why that after going through the book none of my players ever choose human as a race, because their special abilities suck compared to the other races. I wonder why I never noticed this before. This sounds like a discussion for another thread.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
I am almost finished with this character sheet. It works really great so far. I am re-creating the Cyradon adventure characters with it starting with Aliah the human monk (since all the Cyradon characters were based on the old rules). This is a test run and I am tweaking as I create the character. After I finish this I would like some feedback and may have to actually create an instruction sheet or another page in the PDF that will walk someone through the sheet itself. I might password protect it, not sure yet. I want other GM's to be able to tweak this sheet as they see fit (though some knowledge in Acroscript [enhanced javascript] is required) . I am also doing a write up on the new skill (Chi Balance) I use in my games and will be included on the primary version of this sheet. If there is enough interest I will also put out a sheet without the Chi Balance skill on it. One other thing. This character sheet has all the new skills from Martial Law and College of Magics (with Battle Runes and the two Blood magic skills).

Bruce

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »
Good work.
I am happy to say you have exceded my expectations with your quick delivery
Nice work Bruce!

Disclaimer: Lets hope I'm not too premature and he does get it finished  ;D

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
If you do a full screen the skill fields don't look so small. I guess that is one of the drawbacks I have is that with my 24" widescreen monitor I usually only see the PDF when everything looks very spacious...lol.

It is almost done, at least version 1 is. There are some things you will have to figure in on your own, like how many DP's you are spending. I still need to add a few fields that figure in how many Stat points you have left to develop your initial character. I may eventually add a special column that figures in how many points your spending and shows how many you have left, but that will be in a later version. 

Once I send this one in, hopefully those who are interested (like you Turbs) can go through it and let me know where it might be improved. I know there are better ways to do some of the script functions but my skill level is no where near that part yet. I am learning all this as I go along.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
I've sent the semi automated HARP Fantasy PDF to the vault. Hopefully it will get approved soon. Here is a summary of the PDF:
This a "mostly automated" PDF character sheet for HARP. Some things to note: It has all the basic info from the HARP Fantasy core, College of Magics and Martial Law. It also has an "unofficial" skill (Chi Balance). It has all the combat styles, MA styles, weapons and cultures from the Cyradon core book.
I am working on adding all the weapons from Martial Law (though as we all know some of the stats are missing and I will have to add those based on personal opinion) and a system to keep track of your DP expenditure when you level up. In time I will also be adding a set of scripts that will automatically add your culture ranks to your current ranks and a set of scripts to add training packages. But that is in due time, how long it takes depends on the enthusiasm for this sheet I get here and what bugs or problems are reported here.

Bruce

Offline Cyanide Baby

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
Great work. Thanks a lot for the effort!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:43:24 AM »
Thanks so far guys! When the auto calculating one gets approved it is titled HARP Fantasy Plus. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
The second beta of the auto calculating character sheet is almost finished. I have a few more minor scripts to write and format it so it isn't that confusing (along with trying to fit in instructions).
FYI, the second beta has so much more than the first sheet.
Here are some of the new added features:
-Keeps track of DP expenditure
-Calculates cost of DP's for; new skill ranks, multi-racial characters, Training Package ranks, adding Talents, increasing stats, etc.
-Equipment list added
-Talents; add only the talents your group uses along with their DP cost.
-Select your culture and auto add in the culture ranks

There is a new skill that isn't "official" called Chi Balance. I still haven't added a description for that skill just yet.

The only issue I have noticed so far is that some of the calculations can take more than a few minutes to complete (like transferring all the new skill ranks from leveling up over).

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
I have uploaded version 2.1 of the beta sheet. I corrected some errors and fixed some bugs.

Now I need to contact the guy who handles the uploads and ask him to delete version 2.0.

Please report any bugs or feature requests here.

Bruce

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »
Contact Thom for the deletion, that is IIRC.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Ok, Thom it is....

Thanks

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:45 PM »
I am going to assume that since no one has reported any bugs or serious problems with my last release of the PDF character sheet (in the vault) that all is good and everyone is happy with the sheet. Well, at least the 6 people that downloaded the file from the vault is happy.

I know it is a slow sheet but that's because of the limitations from using Adobe Acrobat and the limitations of my coding skills (or lack thereof). But it does work (at least as far as I can tell). I plan on adding some features or options later on but there seems to be limited interest so there is no rush.

The features I plan on adding/changing:
Cleaning up the overall look of the sheet so it is more user friendly and not so cramped.
Add your own races and equipment much like the way you can currently add new talents.
Adding a few optional sheets for a more detailed character outlook.
Adding profession specific character sheets that have more skills dedicated to that specific profession.

For those that have perused the sheet, please let me know if there are any features you would like to see added and I will let you know if it is possible with my limited skills.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
For those that are interested I have an update!
First off the current sheet is a little slow and I have been working hard on improving the speed of the sheet. I have been consolidating a lot of the code and it is running faster now. I also discovered the sheet runs much quicker in Foxit (so please try out their reader if you need to) and when I saved the file after editing it, it was less than half the file size to what Acrobat had. This is due to Acrobat set on saving all the changes in the PDF so you can go back to any version whenever you like.

In doing all this I have discovered some more bugs and glitches. Those have been corrected but the sheet is not as usable as I thought. An updated more dynamic version is coming soon!

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »
For everyone interested, I am  still working on the next beta version of this sheet. I discovered a few bugs that make the most recent one barely usable. The next one has a few more features including the ability to adjust the categories so you can make clerics and I implemented some script that allows you to actually adjust the cost of individual skills as per the human "skill specialization" talent. The current PDF doesn't have that capability.

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 01:10:55 AM »
I have added the latest auto calculating PDF beta sheet for HARP fantasy into the vault. It should be approved sometime this week.

Bruce

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
I approved it a couple of days ago - just forgot to reply here.
Sorry about that.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com