Author Topic: Names  (Read 1714 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Names
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:17 AM »
A while ago there was a topic for names and I thought I would throw out a couple that have been rattling around in my brain,

1) Cord Wood: I was watching the news and a spokesman for the Forestry Service in southern Oregon was talking about the fires, his name was Cord Wood.

2) So Ka Teufelsker: I am not sure of the spelling of So Ka but it is Japanese for "I see" and Teufelsker is German for "Devils-man". I got Teufelsker from an article on the World Cup describing the various saying for players on various teams. IIRC the term refers to a goalkeeper who you want to have a deal with the devil to keep out your opponents shots. But I sort of like the phrase "I see Devils-man"

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Names
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
"Teufelskerl" (mind the "l" at the end - "Kerl" = Man, Guy, Bloke, Dude, Person, etc., always male) has a positive connotation. I'd translate it as "daredevil".

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
I just did a search and came up with the same thing I guess I wrote it down wrong, going in reverse Devils Man to German is teufel mann, so the article was way off.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
I have always had a weakness for "punny" names for characters.

Recently there was an article (in the US at least) commenting about how "Harry" isn't Prince Harry's real name, it's Henry. That rather made me sad, I would have thought that after Brannagh did Henry V several years ago, even an American audience would have been able to spot that one without help.

But it got me to thinking that one day I want to have a Bard character who is extremely large/tall named Henry Deal... just so he can be the front man for a band called...

Big Harry Deal and the Small Potatoes.  ::)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Maybe it's the cold I have talking, but...

Big Harry Deal and the Small Potatoes.  ::)

:mullet:

...though I confess to playing an Astrologer named Justin Time.  :angel3:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »
My son had a Healer named Mel Practice. A girlfriend had a fighter who used a sword in each hand named Julie Ann Fryes. I had a Magician named Crisby Kridder.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
A friend of mine had twin gnomes (?) that were named Black and Jack. I believe they were both illusionists who gambled. This was in the mid 80's.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
My neice had a dwarf fighter named Dain Brammage.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
2) So Ka Teufelsker: I am not sure of the spelling of So Ka but it is Japanese for "I see" (...). But I sort of like the phrase "I see Devils-man"
「そうか…」would be better transliterated as "sou ka" (it would lose the "u" only if you're able to use the line over the "o", i.e. "sō ka"). Also, it's means "I see..." as in the expression "Oh, I see..." since the literal meaning would be more along the lines of "Is it really as you said?" It doesn't mean "I see" as in the sentence "I see something".
Just FYI.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
Thanks I am only going off the translation I see at the bottom of anime that I watch and how it is translated there.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.