Author Topic: Tintamar setting question  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Tintamar setting question
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
From my reading it appears that the local government for each of the "more than a hundred  star systems" colonized during the Second Exodus might be limited to that single system. In other words, the only government in the human sector which extends beyond the limits of a single system is the Terran Federation. "The Terran Federation is an alliance of semi-autonomous 'planetary' governments." In addition, while the Sol system assuredly contains multiple local governments, it appears that many of the others systems may also contain multiple governments.

Is this in accordance with your reading and understanding? How does this function with regard to regulation of trade? Should I think of the Terran Federation in terms of NATO or in terms of the EU?

"Each member government is wholly responsible for its internal affairs and may freely make agreements with other Federation governments. Foreign policy, defense against hostile aliens, threats to humanity, and the resolution of intergovernmental conflict are reserved matters for the Council of the Federation, which convenes in Antarctica City."

Takeyabue

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Tintamar setting question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
"Foreign policy, defense against hostile aliens, threats to humanity, and the resolution of intergovernmental conflict are reserved matters for the Council of the Federation, which convenes in Antarctica City."

That sounds more like NATO than the EU to me.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:29 PM »
Yeah, generically speaking, the EU is economic while NATO is militaristic.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
I'd think it's more in line with the UN than the EU, but with some overlap with NATO.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Online NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
NATO in a military sense with elements of EU and UN and other international organisations. Unlike NATO, every human government must be a member (or be Interdicted from FTL travel)- the Silth demonstrate the necessity of this level of human unity. Autonomy in local affairs recognises that there is no one size fits all for humanity.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme