Author Topic: Gen Con 2014  (Read 21601 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Gen Con 2014
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
It would be great for ICE to get the nod on BBT, but often products represented are product placement and require $ from the company selling it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
yup, I know that unfortunately that is the case.  But I thought that maybe a letter explaining how the ICE products tend to be played by the more logical thinking and better educated members of the RPG market and supplied with free copies of the product might help, especially if Will Wheaton also pushes for it if he is truly a fan as well.

I'll have to take a look at what his involvement as been on the twitter feed (just for curiosity).  Actually, with me not ever reading twitter feeds, how would I access such stuff (I may get involved it is something that doesn't require too much time and is not too difficult)?
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2014, 02:07:06 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to start rumours. I have no evidence to suggest that Wil Wheaton plays, has played or ever will play an ICE game, he just comes up in the ICE twitter feed because I follow him.

I am however pleased that I'm not the only person who believes that the BBT guys would not play D&D, they'd play Rolemaster.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
Wil Wheaton is a rather prolific poster too.  As much as I like him in general, I finally unfollowed him on Facebook because of the sheer volume of stuff he posts that I have absolutely no interest in (Like: what beer he happens to be drinking, anything to do with the L.A. Kings, etc).  His politics are also sometimes a little too "knee-jerk uninformed rants" for me.

I just don't do Twitter though.  A bit too narcissistic for me.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2014, 07:14:16 AM »
Sorry if I jumped to conclusions there.  I must have misunderstood what you were meaning. 
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
Hey all, sorry I have been in Hiatus the last few weeks or so. Been busy with work and all. As far as the dinner meet up, Sunday afternoon is good after 4pm (I have a savage worlds game from 2 till 4pm). I have two friends that will probably make it with me. The third friend (Walt the guy who helped design the Victoriana game line) will not be able to make because he has a flight home on Sunday afternoon. On that note I have an extra ticket for the Victoriana game on Thursday from 2pm till 5pm. If anyone is interested in playing this game please let me know by PM. The ticket is free for ICE gamers (though it is not an ICE game...lol)
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »
So it sounds like we plan for getting together after the exhibit hall closes and any 'official' events are over, we'll say 4:30pm?  Trying to communicate at the con itself might be problematic, so I suspect it's best if we get a fairly solid plan up front.  Something close to the ICC is probably best too, so once we know who's going to be able to show we can figure out where we're going.  Hopefully they'll take reservations for larger groups, just in case the post Con crowd hits the restaurants hard.

So it sounds like it'll be...
2 - Myself and a friend.
3 - Bruce, sounds like you plus two friends.
1 - Wolfhound, assume you're solo?
2 - Beggarking, still you plus one?

4? - Oldman and Pyro, any word from the wives?

jdale, I think you were going to be at Gen Con... have time/any interest?

Obviously anyone else speak up if you'll be there.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Sounds like there might be 2-3 people coming along with me to the dinner get-together (from the RMU play-test group I run) as well. 

Bruce, I would be interested in the Victoriana ticket, but already have something scheduled that would overlap with the first hour.  However I may at least swing by to see how the game is played and such (and if no one else claims the ticket and it would not disrupt things too badly (although I suspect it probably would be disruptive) I can join in late). 

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
4? - Oldman and Pyro, any word from the wives?

Don't count on me,  I expect to be on the road by then.

For those twitter-wise, my handle is @ACDurston
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2014, 09:56:09 PM »
Sounds like there might be 2-3 people coming along with me to the dinner get-together (from the RMU play-test group I run) as well. 

Bruce, I would be interested in the Victoriana ticket, but already have something scheduled that would overlap with the first hour.  However I may at least swing by to see how the game is played and such (and if no one else claims the ticket and it would not disrupt things too badly (although I suspect it probably would be disruptive) I can join in late).
It probably would be a little disruptive, but as I remember Walt was a good GM who could handle such situations. But, I don't know if it would be possible based on the situation we will be in when you arrive I will ask Walt and see what he thinks.
Though if someone else here wants to play and lets me know, then the ticket is their's. Otherwise it will be a first come first serve basis.

Bruce

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
Word from my wife is that we need to be leaving around 4 to 5ish at the latest.  My child starts preschool that Monday in the morning and is going to need to be rested before the big day.  With a several hour drive ahead of us that is as late as we could really push things.

So I probably won't be able to make it, and if I can it would only be for a few minutes to say hi and get going.

I will try to find some time to swing by the RMU games and see who I can catch sometime however.
-Pyrotech

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
4:30 on Sunday works for me. And it's just me, solo. Looking forward to this gathering of rogues....
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
Has anyone thought of a place to get together? The reason I am asking is I saw this ad in the Gencon newsletter about this place Ruth's Chris Steak House and a special deal they have for Gencon attendee's. Anyone who has been down there ever eat at this place?
Anyone that is going and interested in exchanging phone numbers please PM me.
Bruce

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
Has anyone thought of a place to get together? The reason I am asking is I saw this ad in the Gencon newsletter about this place Ruth's Chris Steak House and a special deal they have for Gencon attendee's. Anyone who has been down there ever eat at this place?
Anyone that is going and interested in exchanging phone numbers please PM me.
Bruce

We've had dinner there which was good but it is pricey (had gift cards to soften the blow). They are doing a pre-ordered lunch special for Fridays. I've read mixed reviews about that.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »
We have a Ruth's Chris in Seattle, very good food.  On the moderately higher end cost-wise.  (Steak ~$45, sides are a la carte $8 baked potato for example, etc).  I'm good with that, but if everyone is good with spending that kind of money St. Elmo's might a good option.  I've seen a lot of good reviews of them, seems they are on par, but local instead of a chain - and about as close, within a block of the ICC.  They also own a cheaper place (Harry and Izzy's) right next door that does pizza.
- Cory Magel

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:23 AM »
Hi guys,

Anyone off to GenCon that wants flyers to hand out, please PM me with an email address to which I can send them. Any other questions, let me know.

Enjoy GenCon!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
Ok, since it's almost G-Day... let's plan on St. Elmo's at 4:30pm on Sunday.

It's akin to Ruth's, but local and only a block from the ICC.  I'll see if they will take a reservation and make it for a dozen.
- Cory Magel

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
Let me know by text if you get the reservation or not.... This is probably my last post (and last time checking) until after Gencon.

Bruce

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
Quick Q for all - anyone else printing the various posters/fliers from Colin?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2014, 01:03:55 AM »
Ok, St. Elmo's Sunday 8/17 4:30.  Held for 12 people.
- Cory Magel