Author Topic: Seer  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Seer
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »
I'm playing in a game where we have a multi class (not a normal thing multi classing, it is part of the campaign plot) Seer / Rogue.
Last session:
Player: I cast Future Visions to see one minute into the future, "what will happen if I open this door?"
GM: The room fills with flame
Player: I cast Future Visions, "What will happen if I pick the trap?"
GM: what is your skill?
Player: 92 detect traps, 68 disarm traps.
GM: [rolls in secret] The door opens and you enter unharmed.

This was actually a pretty cool interaction and we spent quite a time discussing how this would work including contesting Seers.
In the end we envisaged it as a tree, the basic probability was given by the spell and the player could use a divination skill to get the branches as alternative outcomes.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Seer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
Always wanted to play a Seer.  Love the idea of divination and 'knowledge is power'.
But I know my GM doesn't want stuff that gives away his plot.  Most of our sessions involve investigations, and a Seer could just figure out everything too quickly...

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
Always wanted to play a Seer.  Love the idea of divination and 'knowledge is power'.
But I know my GM doesn't want stuff that gives away his plot.  Most of our sessions involve investigations, and a Seer could just figure out everything too quickly...
Interestingly, our party is geared up and trained as kinda like assasin / SAS hit team. We pay attention to what divinations would reveal about our actions. For example, when we are doing an assault against the minious or Sourion we go in looking like orcs. Also, we have interpretted the Vision Past type spells as a unskilled look back, you are effectivly playing a tape with out fast forward or search functions. Then the Scry or Divination skill is used to search a vision spell for what you are looking for. So we get in and out of our mission in as few rounds as possible, raising the difficulty of the skill check.
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
Yeah, our game sessions rarely involve combat.  Mostly investigations until we find out who/what the real badguy is.  After about 10hrs of play the 2-3 combat oriented guys do their thing while most the group hides out.  :)

Mal

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Rolemaster is a game that rewards avoiding combat....

Information magic is an interesting challenge for the GM. If you allow it to work, it's very satisfying for the players, but can shortcut a lot of story. I think the GM needs to incorporate that into their thinking.

In the game I'm running, I have a lot of information magic, although it's more concrete than predicting the future. E.g. one PC has the ability to get a top-down view from the sky of a large area centered on her position. But there are counters and limits, and it goes both ways. The party took very extreme precautions when they found someone was scrying them. I'm curious to see how this goes as the power level increases.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
Interesting approach from the GM to tell you. Our current GM has us play through the number of rounds that the Future Vision list lets us see - this being all the players, with full rolls and everything. Then at the end of the vision period the player who cast it gets to decide whether to stick with what they saw in the vision, or do something different and then the time is played through again. Works well when looking at the 3+ minutes into the future options

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Interesting approach from the GM to tell you. Our current GM has us play through the number of rounds that the Future Vision list lets us see - this being all the players, with full rolls and everything. Then at the end of the vision period the player who cast it gets to decide whether to stick with what they saw in the vision, or do something different and then the time is played through again. Works well when looking at the 3+ minutes into the future options
This would be really fun to do as a GM and drop in a  person with scry guard into the equation.
Has he done this yet?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
Yes,
 Most important people in my game have scrying and other protections that normal people do not. It is just the cost of doing business so to say.
  But in a low magic world scrying is much more powerful, IMHO.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »
This would be really fun to do as a GM and drop in a  person with scry guard into the equation.
Has he done this yet?

Not yet, last used it to see the bast way past a Caveworm with out major party death. However I would be getting ready for that - also having some of the lists that stop scrying. However more likely I think I'd just not see that person - as when others have left the characters area of perception they drop out of the vision.