Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 91237 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
I have tried to update my RMSS version that had all the new features but it will not load or replace the old version.
If you didn't create characters yet in the previous version, and hadn't customized the internal XML files, you can just delete the previous installation and start with the new version, without updating.
If you purchased book files, you need to install the newer version obtained from RPGNow.

Now, if there are configuration files or characters you already created with the previous version and want to move them to the new installation, I can probably help with that.
Please send me a PM with:
- The version of the old installation (you can send the readme.txt, or if unavailable at least an approximate download date, so that I can try to guess it).
- The version of the new installation
- The Operating System version you are using
- The Internet Browser you are using
- A screenshot of the installation directory, pointing to the file that you are trying to execute
- A screenshot of the error obtained when starting

Also, let me know if you need assistance in creating/obtaining the previous information.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
Hi I have just started to dive into the ERA program that I purchased from RPG Now. I have the FRP rulesset and are about to write all our current characters into the program.

One thing that got me stuck is that only Own Realm, (Open, Closed, TP and Base) Categories are listed and doesn't seem to be a way to add Other Realm lists or Own Realm (Other Base) Categories. In my group I have characters  with a few Lists from other realms or base lists. How would I add this?

Other than this the program seem to be great but easily customizable. Have already created some custom Professions that seem to work perfectly.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2015, 11:35:38 PM »
One thing that got me stuck is that only Own Realm, (Open, Closed, TP and Base) Categories are listed and doesn't seem to be a way to add Other Realm lists or Own Realm (Other Base) Categories. In my group I have characters  with a few Lists from other realms or base lists. How would I add this?

They are not in the categories included since I was not sure if many people used them, and since the costs were so high they would be occupying too much space in all the character sheets without adding anything.

The few times I've needed an additional list, I just added it to the TP category, and edited the cost as required.

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »
i have a question... in some of your video exists a button "Manage inventory" but  the version i use is 2015-06-13 and in that version the inventary button don't exist.
but In the adventure section exist a button "inventory"... how does it works exactly?

thanks in advance.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2015, 03:49:36 AM »
They are not in the categories included since I was not sure if many people used them, and since the costs were so high they would be occupying too much space in all the character sheets without adding anything.

The few times I've needed an additional list, I just added it to the TP category, and edited the cost as required.

Ahh didn't think of that. I have added Own Realm Other Base list to the setup and seem to be working fine. But wasn't sure how to handle the Other Realm lists since it would depend on the characters own realm. But the option of adding it to the TP category and edit the cost works for me and will use that for now.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 03:55:05 AM »
i have a question... in some of your video exists a button "Manage inventory" but  the version i use is 2015-06-13 and in that version the inventary button don't exist.
but In the adventure section exist a button "inventory"... how does it works exactly?

thanks in advance.

Yes it is in the adventure section. You just add equipment as usual but have to assign them to a character. I guess the choice for that is so that you can have an overview of the whole groups equipment gathered in one place which does help a little when running an adventure. Also makes it easy when an item switch owner, you just change the character its assigned to.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
There is no tutorial for the inventory module yet.
You can see how to access it here.

I suggest starting with the "Fill with default items" button on the lower right.
To add new items there is a button on the lower left.
To add items to a character you click on the plus button to the right of the item name.
You must enter a name of the carrier, which can be a party member but it is not required. This way you can register stuff carried by the horse, left at home, etc. if needed.
If you enter the name of a party member, then the item will appear when accessing the Character Status Module for that character. It will also be considered for weight allowance and spell casting penalties.
Some special tricks there are:
Items with carried location "Worn" are not considered for weight allowance, this is mostly for armor, bracers, etc.
Items with a reference, effect or description including the word/substring "magic" will not be considered for casting penalties.
You can quickly add similar items by clicking on an existing item, then clicking on "add new item", since this will by default offer the values for the chosen item.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any additional questions.
The Inventory Module has been left behind in attention due to most users focusing on character creation up to now. I hope you find it useful!

Offline Sweetleaf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
Hi, sorry but I just can't get ERA to work.

I followed the instructions.  I allowed it access through my firewall, and stopped my anti-virus.  The web page says it can't connect, and that's after closing the server and leaving my browser open already. Then starting the server again and refreshing the page as well as the server program opening a new window, so I get two separate tries at accessing it, both failing.

It's got the correct address.  The server says it's running with those two little black boxes 'ERA Server is ready' and 'ERA Server is starting, please wait.'

Those two little boxes don't vanish, even after a few minutes, and no matter what I try, the browser wont connect.

Running Win 7 64 bit, with firefox (latest version).

*Edit, sorry I solved it by running it in compatibility mode for win XP SP 2. It had no problems whatsoever and opened in the browser immediately...

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2015, 06:44:26 AM »
*Edit, sorry I solved it by running it in compatibility mode for win XP SP 2. It had no problems whatsoever and opened in the browser immediately...
I'm glad you could solve it, although there should be no need to apply any compatibility mode  :o
My development environment IS Win 7 64 bit, so if there is a situation where it should run without problems is that one in particular!
Is there any log file created in the "\ERA\Server" directory?

Offline Sweetleaf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2015, 11:23:02 PM »
There is a log file, yes.  This is it.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9w1033fkbaz0sh/ERA-Support.log?dl=0

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
The log files seems to indicate that you were trying to start the application without specifying a ruleset.
There are specific ruleset shortcuts, as shown in this part of the installation tutorial.

If you are certain that you were using the same shortcuts after and before adding XP compatibility, let me know so I can factor that in the analysis.

Thanks!

Offline Sweetleaf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
That's the only log there. I went out  of that folder and started it using the rule sets, and that's where it wasn't loading.  Otherwise there was no log in with the rulesets.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:02 AM »
One thing I still have been able to do and wonder about is how you can add an avatar to the characters in the adventure section. Would help a lot to identify and keep the different characters separate. On the tutorial there seem to be different avatars on each character. I have managed to change it on the character sheet but it doesn't seem to transfer over when adding the character to an adventure and just can't find where to add it there.

Edit: Nvm! Decided to give it another try and all the sudden all the different avatars seemed to work in the adventure section. I wonder what I missed the last time.  :bang:

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2015, 05:28:29 AM »
Edit: Nvm! Decided to give it another try and all the sudden all the different avatars seemed to work in the adventure section. I wonder what I missed the last time.  :bang:
It is enough to click on the empty avatar in the character sheet module, choose a file (preferably 100x100 PNG) and done.
The image is saved in the server and any future adventures should present the correct avatar.

Maybe you changed it after starting the adventure, and your browser had the empty avatar in its cache associated to the character.
In any case, I'm glad it worked.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
I have prepared and uploaded a new version of ERA for you to try out.

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

First of all, this version upgrades some internal stuff, so if you purchased the book files from RPGNow they can't be used with this demo version, please install to a different directory.
If there are no issues reported in the next days, this version will then be sent to RPGNow, along with updated versions for those who purchased the book files for RMC and RMFRP.

Now, about the changes:

1) Races now include the number of background options (RMC) and talent points (RMFRP). This improves the usability of the background purchasing step during character creation.

2) Combat skills fumbles can now be specified on a per skill basis, instead of relying on the attack table fumble. The default fumble value will be offered during character creation, but it can be changed during the combat skills step, also adjusted in the character sheet, or while adventuring.

3) Fixed the hobby rank cost restriction. It is now 40 DP as indicated in RMFRP Character Law.

4) Fixed RMC minimum temporary roll validation. Rolls of 20 are now allowed.

5) Improved support for new skills categories and groups. The cost is fixed at 0 for all professions if not specified, and can be later adjusted per character.

6) When resolving maneuvers, the table related to the skill will be offered, but it can now be changed to a movement/percentage resolution when required.

7) New feature: Exhaustion Points. They are computed according to the corresponding Character Law, and presented during adventures in the character profile. Both total and remaining points can be manually adjusted. No additional computation is provided (this means they are not spent when fighting/casting spells, and they are not recovered when resting).

8) RMFRP Body and power point progression are now stored in the character sheet. This means that they can be edited (although it requires manually opening the character XML).

9) Character size category and combat skills size adjustment are presented. These won't mean much to RMC and RMFRP users, but they are an important step in preparing ERA to support RMU. The truth is, I already have most of what I wanted for a first RMU version, but I will wait until doing at least one session of playtesting before releasing it.

10) New feature: Rules Customization. Some house ruling and ruleset mixing can now be accomplished using options that are opened from the About dialog.
(a) Stat bonus computation: RM2 smooth stat bonus from Companion I are included!
(b) Development point computation: including some fixed DP options. Advanced configuration allows even more flexibility.
(c) Power computation: RMC automatic or by skill development.
(d) Exhaustion points: RMC, RMFRP, or nothing (removes it from the adventuring screen).
(e) Skill development: this is dangerous, use with care!
(f) Printed character sheet skills: choose what to show when printing the character.
(g) Hours per day: important for Shadow World users who use the Travel Module.
(h) Secondary skill development points in RMC: fixed number and percentage.

As you can see, lots of changes.
Most of them came about because of requirements and questions on the forum, so let me know if they are up to your expectations.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
Finally I got a chance to use ERA for the first time in play. Even though we still had 2 characters that I hadn't been able to add before the session and other minor things the program was quite helpful after we got past the "getting used to the new thingy" phase.

But a question came up for the combat and initiative function of the adventuring section. Most of the questions I have already answered on my own but one remain. The question that remain is for the different declared attack actions. Are the bonus for the action included in the actionresolution already? For example Full melee attack have the+10 bonus included in the action or do you have to add the bonus yourself? Same thing for react & melee action that has a -10 bonus.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2015, 06:55:57 AM »
Are the bonus for the action included in the actionresolution already? For example Full melee attack have the+10 bonus included in the action or do you have to add the bonus yourself? Same thing for react & melee action that has a -10 bonus.
They have to be entered manually when resolving the maneuver/attack/spell.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
They have to be entered manually when resolving the maneuver/attack/spell.

Thanks was the final puzzle piece I needed.  :worthy:

Offline Sweetleaf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
This is really great. This new version works without compatibility mode of any kind. Thankyou.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2015, 03:39:52 AM »
After downloading and installing the latest version of ERA whenever I finish making a character I get a rather annoying message after clicking save.

(See Attached File)

Any Ideas?
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.