Author Topic: Shadowrun Conversion to Cyberspace.  (Read 7803 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Shadowrun Conversion to Cyberspace.
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
Since I'm taking my time on both my Cyberpunk & P-A setting for use with Cyberspace . I thought I'd work on a convertion of Shadowrun to Cyberspace with some elements from both SM2 & RM2/C. My main issue is converting the Magic archtypes . I'm thinking of adding magic skills from RM2/C with 0 Adolecent value like what was done with Cyberspace Skills. Then come up with development points per lvl chart for Magician , Shaman (animist/Cleric) , Warrior-Mage , Thief-Mage & Adept (monk). I'm thinking of using a homebrew rule to add bonus DPs per lvl based on RM2/SM2 Stat based Dev. Point chart to give more points to spend to equate training for their profession.I'll add some skills from both SM2/RM2/C that I think fit the Cyberpunk & Shadowrun worlds..such as Martial Arts n' Adrenal skills.Plus I'll include Astral abilities to be developed for the Magic Classes as well.

Any suggestions for developing spell lists that fit the Magic Classes & converting creatures to cyberspace will be appreciated . Note that I ONLY have SM2 , Cyberspace , RMx , RM2 (C&CL & SL) & the core RMFRPG books. I don't plan on getting any other RM2/C books in the near future except RM2/C AL & C&T.So please keep suggestions to the books I have please or Homebrewed rules/Spell Lists you are willing to share with me. Thank you.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadowrun Conversion to Cyberspace.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:04 AM »
interesting... :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
I don't have anything that can help you, but I would love to see what you come up with.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
I'll post one I get some work done on it. I think I might talk to my RM gm & see about getting him to help with it . As he has the rm2/c books & companions. I might see about borrowing some of my other GM's Shadowrun books to help with the convertions.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
I'll post one I get some work done on it. I think I might talk to my RM gm & see about getting him to help with it . As he has the rm2/c books & companions. I might see about borrowing some of my other GM's Shadowrun books to help with the convertions.

That is very wise.

You might also see if you can find RMFRP Fire and Ice as it deals with elementals and IIRC that was a big part of our Shadowrun game.

I also just have to mention this here as a unbelievable game moment: We had a new player from an add in a shadowrun game. During the game he said this "You cannot arrest us! We are Shadow Runners!". Of course the cops did arrest the group then no matter what anyone of the group said.
 BTW: This same player shot a grenade into an elemental while the party was below decks of a large ship. The hull ruptured and only a few of the party survived and it did very little damage to the elemental.
 He did not stay with the group that long.

Good Luck
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Laminator_X

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
One of the Not-RM editions used the same simplified professional development as Cyberspace. You could use the Magician and Animist profs from there with little or no modification.

(WTF, the board redacts even the mention of a product formerly produced under license from a holding company managing the IP of the prominent British fantasy author of the 20th century?)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:14:40 AM by Laminator_X »

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
Cool LOL yeah I noticed that not-RM thing..I always wondered what it meant. I'll see if they have a copy locally.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:08:28 AM »
Yep - because the author's estate sold the rights to implement that IP in games (and movies) for a relatively paltry sum to a rather more mercenary company that now protects those rights in an extremely zealous manner.

As the saying goes ... don't poke the bear with pointy sticks

Offline Laminator_X

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
At any rate, the 1986 edition of the product-that-dare-not-speak-its-name used the same professional development variation as Cyberspace.  If you can find a used copy through Noble Knight, an auction site, or the like you will find that wheel already invented for you.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
I'll see about trying to find it, thanx for the help.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
I've been thinking of instead of converting SR to Cyberspace ,I'll just come up with my own Cyber-Fantasy setting. Just have to come up with a reason that their are fantasy races & magic back in the world with out plagerizing SR whole cloth. So no Goblinization & Native American's haven't retaken chunks of NA or Elfland in Oregon. No PC Trolls but there are Troll-blooded (aka Half-trolls) , there are no Orcs but Goblins/Hob-Goblins/Half-Goblins ,also there are Elves/Half-Elves & Dwarves/Half-Dwarves. Not sure about Dragons.

I'd have done a straight conversion but I nolonger hang out with my old GM who has SR & so no borrowing them to do the conversion. Plus I don't want to shell out $$$ to buy SR books just to do a proper conversion. I love the setting but can't afford to do so. I think I'll take some inspiration from a few 'Urban Fantasy' series such as Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series & others. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
You could look at HARP Sci Fi and use the RM Critical Tables....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
Don't have HARP Sci-Fi. I'll be using Cyberspace & RM2/C for it.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 06:11:04 AM »
HARP has a psionics system that is kinda cool.  I don't remember much about Shadow Run though
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
For me, the main issue would be reconciling the CIRS stat with magic/psi.

Going the easy route, I've thought of reducing PP by the CIRS stat, or limiting characters in some other way.. max Spell List level or a penalty to SCM.
Or just use what's in the book. But doing this, prevents any "Darth Vader" types; no psi-borgs.
(The Emperor could have had tech that was way beyond normal CP that didn't hamper his powers) My Star Wars reference is just an example which everyone is familiar; nothing serious.

I'd love to hear how you've handled magic/psi/cyber. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
On the cyber & magic note:
Maybe Mentalism isn't affected, but Essence magic could be hampered because of the Empathy reduction.

This might help add to the story- Mages staying away from cybernetics and Mentalists making good Netrunners.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
First of all I am used to playing sr2/sr3 so all references to sr will be passed on that background. SR4 was a mistake that should never have happened imho.

As for the issue at hand if you want the SR magic magic in RM terms I would say Shamans are Channelers, Mages are Essence and Adepts would be closes to Mentalism. As technology in the SR world hampers magics in almost anyway possible then I wouldnt make Mentalism an exception. Mentalism is still magic, just using a different powersource if you will.
I too have been thinking a lot about converting SR to RM/SM over the years but magic always stopped me. In SR if you are lucky enough you can basically through magic all day long without ever stopping because of the drain system. I`ve been thinking about an easy solution to this problem in RM but always came up empty.
Oh trolls arent unstoppable, you just hit them with either a cannon or a mana spell ^^
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
First of all I am used to playing sr2/sr3 so all references to sr will be passed on that background. SR4 was a mistake that should never have happened imho.
I only have SR2 & SR3. I don't have SR4 yet. I don't have a major issue with it beyond the 'magic-hackers' what ever they are called.

As for the issue at hand if you want the SR magic magic in RM terms I would say Shamans are Channelers, Mages are Essence and Adepts would be closes to Mentalism. As technology in the SR world hampers magics in almost anyway possible then I wouldnt make Mentalism an exception. Mentalism is still magic, just using a different powersource if you will.
I too have been thinking a lot about converting SR to RM/SM over the years but magic always stopped me. In SR if you are lucky enough you can basically through magic all day long without ever stopping because of the drain system. I`ve been thinking about an easy solution to this problem in RM but always came up empty.

I'll let you know what I come up with magic-wise.

Oh trolls arent unstoppable, you just hit them with either a cannon or a mana spell ^^
If I was going to pick up some SR3 books to help convert to CS/RM which ones should I get?  Are there any RM magic books that I should look into getting ? Someone suggested a Elemental campanion or something, is it really necessary?
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 07:21:02 AM »
The magical hackers are called Otaku, which is rather funny really or lame if you like

As for SR3 books you only really need the main tome, "Shadowrun, Third Edition", but I would suggest you get that, "Magic in the Shadow" and "Man & Machine: Cyberware" for a nice coverage of the main rules and flavors of SRs main areas of interest.

The main tome is nice overall, but MitS adds lots of flavor on magic both on a street level and on higher mysteries. M&M is great on implants and that sort of technology.

SR3 books are generally filled with nice worldshaping information and then with rules in the back. Loved that game.

As for RM books I am not sure if I can come up with any good suggestions, sorry. Elemental Companion for RM2 is essential I would say, actually not a help I would say from what I remember.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline johnkzin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
IMO: the best way to add magic and spells to Cyberspace, is to find an old copy of ... that OTHER light-weight RPG that ICE used to have a license for, back in the 1980's and early 1990's (which I will refer to as MRP) ...  it's almost EXACTLY the same game mechanics as Cyberspace, but with a fantasy emphasis (so, where Cyberspace is sort of Spacemaster-Lite, MRP was sort of Rolemaster-Lite).  Including spells.  It works well as an entry-point to Spell Law if you want to work in advanced spells from there, as well.

From there, everything except "Physical Adepts" from Shadowrun should work pretty seamlessly, at the conceptual level.  But, not so much on the specific spell-lists level.