Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35126 times)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
I'll give a try with one of my player characters and I will get back to you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I gave this a try using one of the NPC characters given in Martial Law. I did one of the level 20 characters. It took roughly 30 minutes to put one in. Granted that's without a thorough check and adding items, background, picture and talent details. It seemed to work well. I forgot that there are two places to update the level: the character level and then in the profession node itself. There is always fine tuning for the final draft. Put the first draft didn't take all the long. The one thing I found to be a bit tiresome was clicking the spin control as much as I had to. I guess I could have used the mouse wheel though.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2014, 12:53:18 PM »
Another thing that would be nice is to have the detail of "by the piece" armor of the printed character sheet.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
That's a good idea as well, unfortunately that will also have to wait until next version. Writing it down for future.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
Installed on Ubuntu 12.04, no hitches.
Same thing happening with the autoharp executable once installed -- no action.
It is marked as an executable file (-rwxrwxr-x) in the permissions.

Tried running it from the CLI (love doing that in Linux, old school...) -- error when loading shared libraries:
Code: [Select]
libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so.5: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
I think that's most likely what's wrong when trying it on my 13.10 desktop as well.
I'll check on that and get back to you.

UPDATE:
This appears to be part of the wxWidgets Library. Something tells me it's needed to run the program under Linux.

UPDATE 2:
On the plus side, I have it working through WINE, looks like without an issue. Have all three databases loaded in as well.

I have looked into this error on linux and I do have this library as part of the build so there is something very wrong going on here. I thought the library was statically part of the .exe but it's not, or at least that is the vibe I am getting from this error. So it either means I have no idea how to statically link libraries in ubuntu or statically linking libraries may not be the answer here. Either way, fixing this is going to take a while, a long while. I have to start asking around ubuntu formus for clues. I'm glad it works in WINE. It seems that is the only solution I have right now.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
Also wanted to note that it works well via WINE on Linux Mint Debian. I would like to think that it will work on any Linux OS using WINE, but I don't have enough machines to test that on -- just two revs of Ubuntu and the latest LMDE.

Not a dealbreaker at all, unless somehow WINE cocks up and us Linux users are left in the cold. :)
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
That's nice to hear. Let's hope WINE doesn't get any bad updates.  8)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
Okay... I have a work around for people who may be having issues running AutoHarp on a linux machine, especially ubuntu. I apologize if this isn't an ideal solution, but it's currently all I have until I can properly get a statically built program. I'm currently working with pfloyd who has graciously helped in testing out potential builds. When I finally get one this work around won't be necessary.

The work around is to install the wxWidgets libs by doing the following
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0
The problem is that the libraries AutoHarp needs to run are not present and I thought I was including them in the exe but it turns out the libraries I had were shared, not static, which means the application is assuming the libraries are present on your machine. A static build has the libraries as part of the executable. It makes the application a little bigger but that's the price one has to pay in this case. Running the above will install the libraries AutoHarp is looking for and should allow the application to run in ubuntu and most linux distributions. If this does work, try running it without the 0. Please let me know if this works or doesn't work.

Thanks! :)

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
Okay... did that command, this was the result:

adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libwxgtk2.8-0 is already the newest version.
libwxgtk2.8-0 set to manually installed.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-3.11.0-12 linux-headers-3.11.0-12-generic
  linux-image-3.11.0-12-generic linux-image-extra-3.11.0-12-generic
  openjdk-7-jre-lib
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 87 not upgraded.
adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$

Now, trying it without the '-0' at the end results in the following: (sorry for the long code box)

adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libwxgtk2.8-dbg' for regex 'libwxgtk2.8'
Note, selecting 'libwxgtk2.8-dev' for regex 'libwxgtk2.8'
Note, selecting 'libwxgtk2.8-0' for regex 'libwxgtk2.8'
libwxgtk2.8-0 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-3.11.0-12 linux-headers-3.11.0-12-generic
  linux-image-3.11.0-12-generic linux-image-extra-3.11.0-12-generic
  openjdk-7-jre-lib
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libwxbase2.8-dbg libwxbase2.8-dev wx-common wx2.8-headers
Suggested packages:
  wx2.8-doc libstdc++-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgl-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev
  libglu-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libwxbase2.8-dbg libwxbase2.8-dev libwxgtk2.8-dbg libwxgtk2.8-dev wx-common
  wx2.8-headers
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 87 not upgraded.
Need to get 46.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 118 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe wx2.8-headers i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [1,506 kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe libwxbase2.8-dbg i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [4,952 kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe libwxgtk2.8-dbg i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [39.7 MB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe libwxbase2.8-dev i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [31.3 kB]
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe wx-common i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [52.0 kB]
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-updates/universe libwxgtk2.8-dev i386 2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1 [31.6 kB]
Fetched 46.3 MB in 14s (3,234 kB/s)                                           
Selecting previously unselected package wx2.8-headers.
(Reading database ... 277153 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wx2.8-headers (from .../wx2.8-headers_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libwxbase2.8-dbg:i386.
Unpacking libwxbase2.8-dbg:i386 (from .../libwxbase2.8-dbg_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libwxgtk2.8-dbg:i386.
Unpacking libwxgtk2.8-dbg:i386 (from .../libwxgtk2.8-dbg_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libwxbase2.8-dev.
Unpacking libwxbase2.8-dev (from .../libwxbase2.8-dev_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package wx-common.
Unpacking wx-common (from .../wx-common_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libwxgtk2.8-dev.
Unpacking libwxgtk2.8-dev (from .../libwxgtk2.8-dev_2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up wx2.8-headers (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
Setting up libwxbase2.8-dbg:i386 (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wx/config/base-unicode-debug-2.8 to provide /usr/bin/wx-config (wx-config) in auto mode
Setting up libwxgtk2.8-dbg:i386 (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-debug-2.8 to provide /usr/bin/wx-config (wx-config) in auto mode
Setting up libwxbase2.8-dev (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wx/config/base-unicode-release-2.8 to provide /usr/bin/wx-config (wx-config) in auto mode
Setting up wx-common (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
Setting up libwxgtk2.8-dev (2.8.12.1-14ubuntu1.1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 to provide /usr/bin/wx-config (wx-config) in auto mode
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

Now when I run the program, this is the result:

adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ ./AutoHarp
./AutoHarp: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_webview-2.9.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Trying to run AutoHarp-CT results in same. At least it's a different error.

I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
stratch that... it looks like you are running the shared version and it looks as if that didn't work. If the new version I sent you does... that would be great. :) but on the onset, it doesn't look as if this work around works. I can only assume this update doesn't include webview. If that is the case I wonder if there is a newer version that does.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
Okay, it launches, at least from the terminal window. However, these are the results one would see:

adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ ./AutoHarp
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(AutoHarp:16275): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_process_updates: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 ./AutoHarp
adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ bg
[1]+ ./AutoHarp &

adam@Brigid:~/AutoHARP Test$ 11:49:26: Debug: wx Seed: 1397213366

(AutoHarp:16275): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'height >= -1' failed

I get that font warning a lot, so I'm checking on that part of it. -- fixed that bit.
Not sure about that GDK failure.

Running it as an application directly from the Files directory GUI works as well, but you don't see the errors noted above.
We're on the right track.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »
Alright!  8) Given that I probably ask for certain fonts in the printing section, that might where the font errors are coming from. However it doesn't name the font it is having trouble with. I'm wondering if the printing section actually works or not with this error. Could you quickly just check that by trying to print a character sheet or checking print preview. If the character sheet looks good, then I'm not sure where the error for the font is coming from. That could be a hard one to find.

Thank you for your help. If the printing comes back positive, I may bundle what I have for 1.05. Hopefully these errors are not show stoppers and the application runs despite the errors.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
I have the fonts error message sewn up. Had to remove a tag from a config file in the /etc/fonts directory.

Also, doing a fresh install of AutoHARP, as I think I messed up the database installs. Will advise during the weekend.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
Do you think that config file error is something local to your setup, or something on the AutoHarp end?

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »
Okay, odd thing I noticed...

I was putting in the stats for one of the NPCs out of Martial Law, and they did not carry over once I finished the initial wizard. Skill ranks appear to have carried over.
I'll try another character later, but... it appears the Print Preview works.

As for the error, it's a local issue, nothing to do with AH. Something within a config file in Linux, as I have seen this error before with other apps.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
Great! Thanks. If you can recreate that bug let me know what you did and I can find a patch for it.  8)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »
I've turned in AutoHarp version 1.0.5 to Nicholas for an update so hopefully that should coming out soon. I have started working on the Custom Database stuff and have run into a snag which I can't seem to find a suitable answer online. The problem is with the idea itself. I want to keep the customization program as an HTML/CSS piece but the problem is I need to update XML files on the client side. Javascript doesn't like doing this. I thought PHP may solve it but I believe each user needs to install PHP for that to work. My problem is that I'm not very familiar with the web side of development to know how to write to a client side file through a web browser. Hopefully the answer comes soon.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
Any database changes I should be aware of in 1.0.5?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Any database changes I should be aware of in 1.0.5?

here is the change log for 1.0.5
        -Fixed: Resistances are listed as SD/CO. They should be Stamina - CO/CO, Magic - IN/IN, Will - SD/SD. Blindfighting is ST/AG, should be IN/RE. Trickery is PR/AG, should be PR/SD
        -Fixed: When creating a Thief if you select Assassin Training, the description of Assassin Training will be saved in the XML file with an '&' causing an XML failure when you try to load the character.
        -Fixed: When you get to the adolescence/profession skills page it doesn't calculate existing profession ranks in the total bonus. If you hit back and then come back they are calculated, but the number of ranks you received from your profession is doubled.
        -Fixed: When I print a character, the categories print in a random order on the skills sheet. Can this be alphabetical?
        -Fixed: The printed skills sheet lists all skills with Self Discipline as "se" and not "sd"
        -Fixed: During hybrid talent selection when you click on the Stat Bonuses talent, the description box retains the description of the last highlighted talent.
        -Fixed: Once a skill's lockout cost was set it couldn't be unset.
        -Fixed: When switching rank types on the Skill List, the Total will be calculated off the current number
        -Added: It would be nice to see the Stats of each skill on the skill list during creation. I don't know
        -Added: Filters added to NewLevel wizard page 3 where the user can search for a skill, and can highlight skills that are favored, with ranks or have a particular stat associated with it. All three filters can be used at once to further search. The search function is separate from the filters.
        -Added: On the Items page, how about a dropdown for location that ties to the Equipment Worn section of the printed character sheet?
        -Fixed: The Magestaff spell is missing for Mage and The Magician.
        -Fixed: On Adolescence Ranks in the New Character Dialogue, skills with subskills or categories no longer activate with a spin control when selected.
        -Added: Profession Abilities which are prompted by the application during the New Level creation is now added to your talents under a special way. These abilities will print on your character sheet under the items as New Profession Ability.
        -Fixed: Character pictures that do not exist on the host machine but are defined on the character sheet will simply not show up. Before a path error was thrown. This is no longer the case.
        -Fixed: Armor Penalty and quickness were not added properly on the printed sheet. Also if QU - AP is still negative the result should be 0.
        -Added: Cleric Category now bolds any spells that are cost 2 to emphasize the spells that are being used by the character. Sorting is not an easy thing to do here. I will look into that later.
        -Added: Skill Description Dialog is now added. Can be accessed by either double clicking the skill or by right clicking. Through this dialog you can add as well. Descriptions should be written in HTML format since that is what the description box renders the text as.
        -Added: Training Package information is now added to the character sheet xml file and to the printed character sheet
        -Added: Talents are now listed in the Equipment section of the character sheet.
        -Fixed: Skills and subskills without stats was not working and would crash the application. I now check for stats to make sure they exist. They do not have to exist by the way.
        -Added: Persistence has been added so now the window remembers the size when closed and will open to the same size the next time the application is started.
        -Fixed: Skills that have subskills with stats, stat bonuses are added correctly
        -Added: Spell Information Dialog has been added. It is accessed by either right clicking the spell or by double clicking the spell. Accessed from the Skills Tab on the main character sheet.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
I hope to upload 1.0.5 tomorrow Thursday - just had my broadband connection reactivated.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme