Author Topic: Prints of Angus McBride Artwork?  (Read 5570 times)

Offline lillassea

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Prints of Angus McBride Artwork?
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Hi,
I hope this is not a repeat thread, I have done lots of searches but could not find a topic related.
I assume that ICE own the Angus McBride artwork on the covers of the various RM books (RMSS/RMFRP). If this assumption is correct, is it possible to purchase large prints (good quality suitable for framing).
Thanks
Jeremy

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Prints of Angus McBride Artwork?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
Great question.  A quick search find lots of his artwork for sale... but nothing from the RM stuff.

I've often considered getting the covers of the AD&D box sets for a series of framed art, but I'm not quite so nostalgic about it that I've actually pulled the trigger (and I've got lots of frame fantasy prints - it's one of those things I always buy at GenCon).  I just wish I'd bought that Brom print of the warrior with the dragon flying behind it.

A local shop near Seattle had it and I thought $200 was too much.  Wish I'd done it now.  At the time it seemed a bit excessive when I could get signed and numbered prints from guys like Elmore and Parkinson for like $35.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:14:12 AM »
I get asked this question once a month.

Fortunately by someone different every time!  :D

All the original prints owned by ICE are long gone before the bankruptcy. My understanding is some were sold off but most just given away or taken by various employees. The art is in limbo because of it is of middle earth content, we cant use it and neither can Tolkien Enterprises.  And in any event, the agreement with Brom was that it would only be used for that product (most likely contractual format).

Keep searching on Ebay...
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline lillassea

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:16:27 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Will keep looking!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »
I have four pieces of Angus original art that I purchased way back in the 80's/90's, but they are all Middle-earth. I was wondering about their value, as I could really use the money. They are all framed with double-mats; they are not prints but Angus' original guache paintings.

Two I'd be reluctant to part with two (Lorien and Saruman) but Celebrimbor in his Forge and Rivendell I might.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
Check this out...

http://www.illustrationartgallery.com/acatalog/Angus_McBride_Art.html

Wild guess on my part, but I would think Middle Earth stuff would go for more.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 06:34:24 AM »
I have four pieces of Angus original art that I purchased way back in the 80's/90's, but they are all Middle-earth. I was wondering about their value, as I could really use the money. They are all framed with double-mats; they are not prints but Angus' original guache paintings.

Two I'd be reluctant to part with two (Lorien and Saruman) but Celebrimbor in his Forge and Rivendell I might.
Wow. Just wow.

Back in the early 90s, we were going to inquire if Angus McBride would do character portraits. A rather big group of people was prepared to pool money for one of our players to have his Dwarven adventurer painted by AMB as a birthday present.
The player in question died in a traffic accident before the inquiry was sent.  :'(

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »

I know we've talked about your original McBride paintings in the past Terry, and I regret not being there when you were selling the two originals back then, I would have sent several thousand dollars your way for one of them without hesitation.

I've come across some good quality images online of his Middle-earth paintings, and I am working on digitally scaling up these, and digitally enhancing them(getting rid of the usual scanner patterns), preparing them for large format canvas prints for my own collection. After years of searching for an original, I've almost given up on finding one that someone wants to part with, but I've not given up the hope. I'll post photos of the canvas prints later when I've got so far as to have them printed.

Offline Daniel Justice

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:47:52 AM »
If the original of McBride’s painting of Treebeard with Merry and Pippin ever comes available for sale I’d be *very* keen to talk with the seller—it’s by far my favourite depiction of that iconic scene!