Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35141 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
I just received confirmation that version 1.0.5 is out and that emails should have gone out to all those who have purchased the databases. I thank you again for using AutoHarp. I would like to remind everyone that I am certainly open to enhancements, ideas and that I really appreciate people posting errors they are having. I am also going to start versioning the databases. I should have been doing this from the beginning, but instead I have been lumping everything into the same version. Most of the time there has been a database change, however not every database is changed. For example, no changes were made to the Harp Sci-Fi databases but I incremented the versions anyways. In versioning the databases I will also be able to have a separate change log. That way users can easily map out which databases have changed over having the parse through a whole change log for the whole application. So starting with version 1.0.6 I will separate change logs for the databases and if nothing changes, the version won't change. I was initially worried about the versioning getting out of hand with what would work and not work with AutoHarp. I don't think I need to worry about that any more (I hope).

I am currently working on getting an application that will help users customize the database. This is a rather large project so I doubt I will finish it before 1.0.6 goes out in the future. I will certainly release what I have and I will concentrate on the bigger, more necessary databases that people would want to edit like the cultures, skills, races, professions and spells. I will start with these five first and add the others later on. The application will be C++/wxWidgets. I originally wanted this to be a browser application, however that will not be possible due to what is required. The application will be included in the main databases.

Also this release *should* finally work out the problems under Ubuntu. Those using Ubuntu were telling me they couldn't get the application to run unless they ran WINE and installed the windows version. The ubuntu version *should* install properly now. It's still a .jar file so you need to have Java installed. Java Runtime Environment is well worth having on your computer in my opinion. If this is a problem I can look into making a .deb install file.

The Change Log was posted a few posts back. I remember a lot of changes were enhancement requests, specially more information when it comes to Skills and Spells with quite a few changes going into the Skills tab.

I also plan to rework the tutorials. I have neglected this. This and the customized database are my main projects for the summer.

I think that's it. I check this area kinda regularly however there was a time I wasn't checking it at all for about a month. Sorry about that. The same goes with the email perfecthundred@gmail.com. I'll try and check that email more regularly.

Thank you again!

8)

note: Oh... I really haven't heard anything from the Harp Sci-Fi side of things or the Combat Tracker. I would love to hear comments about them if anyone has any.  :)

Offline Lornak

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »
I cannot see a windows installer for V1.0.5 on sourceforge yet (http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoharpsuite/files/?source=navbar).
Is it up, yet? Received an email, so assumed it should, but there is only a demo for Windows (13KB .nsi file, whatever that is) and a demo with 11.7MB size and .jar ending.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
Sourceforge contains the demo version of AutoHARP which is the full application with a demo database. Purchasing the database through RPGNow.com will give you the full database with a full version of AutoHARP that also allows you to add books. In the demo version, adding books is disabled. This is about the only difference between the demo and full version at this point. The email you received means that you have to download the new package from RPGNow, not Sourceforge.

Cheers!

Offline Lornak

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Thank you, that worked for me. It's not clear from the email or about notes in the software itself where exactly to download from.
One more question, which is unrelated to the 1.05 problem. I have just started using the software, so I'm really a greenhorn here. I was assuming that Combat Tracker would allow to add/kerp track of monsters as well. Is the DB that is linked to the Character Creator not usable in Combat Tracker at all?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
I'm not sure I understand fully the question. The Combat tracker can add and keep track of monsters. To add a monster you must open the character sheet you have created using the Character creator. Combat Tracker doesn't import straight from the database. That's actually a good idea for an enhancement request, though. Once the monster character sheet is loaded into the Combat Tracker, the application tracks it like any other character.

If I am not answering the right question, could you elaborate a little more?

Thanks!

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
AH 1.05 installs and runs just fine on Linux using the .jar files for install.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2014, 01:29:53 PM »
AH 1.05 installs and runs just fine on Linux using the .jar files for install.

8) That's awesome to hear! Thanks for you help on that.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »
No problems. Any further Linux-based testing you need done, I'm your guy.
Fixing said problems, however, may be an issue, though... :)
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
No problems. Any further Linux-based testing you need done, I'm your guy.
Fixing said problems, however, may be an issue, though... :)

You mentioned Linux Mint. How does it work on that distro? Oh and yeah... you have reminded me about not putting up the source code. I will get to that soon.

Again thanks again for your help!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »
I've made a few more updates to SourceForge which include

1) A blog entry which includes a check list for future releases
2) An updated Wiki which will continue to get updated in the future. Right now a full change log which includes all change logs from previous updates has been included.
3) I have updated the status of AutoHARP from Beta to production/release. It hasn't been Beta for a while and version 1.0.4 was showing to be quite stable.
4) Hopefully people can see and view the blog and the Wiki. If not please let me know. I plan to write up blogs when I have made significant progress.
5) I will most likely update the tickets to include all the changes I have made so the tickets are up to date.
6) I have removed the "code" portion since I release the source code in a full zip file anyways.

Speaking of the source code, I have released the source for 1.0.5. Again, this is just the source code, not the database. The database comes with the demo or the purchased version. It doesn't come with any instructions however I highly recommend using CodeBlocks as an IDE, since that is what I use. Again AutoHARP is under an RPL license. The database is licensed under IronCrown. The one year anniversary is coming up here June 7th. I plan to talk to Nicholas about a promotional idea for AutoHARP for that time.

Cheers!

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »

You mentioned Linux Mint. How does it work on that distro? Oh and yeah... you have reminded me about not putting up the source code. I will get to that soon.

Again thanks again for your help!

LinuxMint is an Ubuntu-based Linux OS, so what runs with Ubuntu should run with LinuxMint, especially since both are Debian-based (rather that, say, RedHat and the like).

I'll be removing and then overwriting my current install(s) with just the single 1.05 revision during this week, I think, on all three systems (Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, and LinuxMint Debian).
I don't foresee any problems.
I'm also planning on testing some of the other character functionality by inputting stats from some of the characters from Martial Law, just for grins.

Offline Lornak

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2014, 03:07:20 AM »
Hello Monk,

yes I was surprised that the combat tracker is not able to just add a monster from the DB. That would be a very good enhancement indeed. I would not even know how to create a monster. I felt the character creation is really for characters (PCs/NPCs) and was assuming you could purchase a creatures DB that you could add, so that combat tracker can simply add a monster from this DB.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Actually, the Character creator creates a monster character for you. It's just not very obvious without a hint. So here's the hint. Open the Character Creator and open a character. If none exist, then you have to create one. That's another issue I should address in 1.0.6 since I see no reason to have to do this just to make a monster character. Anyways. Once you have a character open, goto Tools and select Random Monster. Random Monster is used for the GM to create a random encounter for their game. You can use it also to select a specific monster you had in mind. To do that select a database, in your case it is most likely going to be Harp Fantasy. Then select "Any" for Level and "Any" for location. A full list of monsters from the database should fill the list. Select the monster and select the "Export as Combat File" button. It will bring up a save box. Give it name and save. Then select OK. Now you can open this monster in the Combat tracker by importing the character into the new encounter.

Having functionality that can import a monster in the Combat Tracker shouldn't be a problem since the code already exists in the Character creator. I can just create something similar in Combat Tracker, that way you don't have to switch back and forth.   

Offline Lornak

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
Thanks Monk, that hint did the trick  8)
Will play around with this tool a bit, seems it's got some secrets that are worth unveiling  ;)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
I have written a new blog entry called Musings on an NPC Generator. Check it out.  8)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
Hello! I know it has been a while since I last checked in. Currently taking a class at the moment which does eat up a lot of time. I am finished with all my summer travels and am now looking at getting back to working on AutoHarp. I am currently working on the Custom Database front end. It's looking good and hopefully I can get it finished here soon. There is also a plan to rework the tutorials and get those complete and also to work on getting an NPC generator out there.

I'll try and keep a monthly update going to let people know where things stand. Hopefully everything else is working well with the application.

Cheers!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
Version 1.06 update

I forgot about my blog page on sourceforge, so I have updated it with a new blog that gives you an idea of where I am at in the production of the Custom DB and the release of 1.06. The link to the blog is found in the signature below.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
I just checked - don't see it in either the blog or the download page.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
That's odd. It's called Checklist for Finishing version 1.06. Let me know if you still can't find it.

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »
The blog's last update was from 4 August 2003, about AH 1.03.