Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 281816 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #1020 on: May 23, 2016, 06:43:52 AM »
Spent the last couple days working on Emer I revision! I am all over the place! I love my new iMac, so much more powerful. Hating the new wireless mouse though (Magic Mouse II), I can't turn off the spastic scrolling!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1021 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
As for GA5, that is Nicholas' department.  :)

I wondered if you had an adventure already written and submitted for the next issue (assuming there is one, of course).

If you're looking for more ideas on what to write on in your copious free time, I just finished a rather interesting, and different, supplement:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/166568/Ed-Greenwood-Presents-Elminsters-Forgotten-Realms

It's unlike any RPG supplement I've ever read before. There are no game mechanics, for any system, even though it's in theory for D&D4. What it has is lots and lots of information on various aspects of the Forgotten Realms, such as language, epithets, laws, jobs, trade goods, attitudes, entertainment, books and so on (even recipes for stirges!).

What it actually resembles the most, to me, is things like The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Renaissance England. It provides a wealth of background information for fleshing out a campaign.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1022 on: June 01, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
TGA#4 is now available! It includes a SW adventure set in SE Emer, with a way to link another portal there.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/184534/Guild-Adventurer-4?affiliate_id=181921
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:24:53 PM by Terry K. Amthor »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1023 on: June 02, 2016, 04:19:09 AM »
Say, what's the likelihood of collecting all the Shadow World from TGA into a supplement and publishing it as a hardback/softback book?

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1024 on: June 02, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Say, what's the likelihood of collecting all the Shadow World from TGA into a supplement and publishing it as a hardback/softback book?

That call would be made by Nicholas. In general I think the art would be high-enough resolution (unlike some of the art /layouts in the other adventures).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1025 on: June 02, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
I had a feeling that the art was of a high enough resolution. I can't see it being done immediately, as I imagine it would, to an extent, cannibalise some sales from GA4. I would like to know if it would be done at some point, just so I can wait and buy a PoD version rather than printing it out myself.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1026 on: June 03, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
For anyone who has already downloaded TGA#4, there were some missing stats for one adventure, and I had not added in the bookmarks and some tweaks. There is now a new file for free dowload at RPGNow. My apologies.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline karr66

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1027 on: June 09, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1028 on: June 09, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
Have you thought of doing a Shadow World gamebook, like A Spy in Isengard (which is, rather oddly, available on archive.org - I don't know what the copyright status of that book is, but I doubt it's public domain)? I've been looking into them recently, and they still seem to be quite popular, as they are well suited to ebooks and there are even some apps, such as those based around the British Steve Jackson's Sorcery! ones.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1029 on: June 10, 2016, 05:50:21 AM »
Have you thought of doing a Shadow World gamebook, like A Spy in Isengard (which is, rather oddly, available on archive.org - I don't know what the copyright status of that book is, but I doubt it's public domain)? I've been looking into them recently, and they still seem to be quite popular, as they are well suited to ebooks and there are even some apps, such as those based around the British Steve Jackson's Sorcery! ones.

Hah! No, the thought never entered my mind. I thought they were dead. When I wrote 'Spy' it was on the old Kaypro back in the 80's, and Coleman wrote a program to shuffle the entries. It's been so long, that I wouldn't know where to begin.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1030 on: June 10, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
I had kind of thought they were dead myself, until I got the first Sorcery! app for free. Then I recently found some on DriveThruFiction, and read some blog posts showing that they are still being written. Heck, the original Fighting Fantasy books were reprinted this century, and the company that bought the rights released new ones up to a few years ago.

The format seems to be still the same in general, going by a current author's posts, so I think an old book would be useful as a template (now, where did I put The Warlock of Firetop Mountain?). I think the hardest part would be the inclusion of artwork - you really need some, and preferably consistent in appearance. I don't know how successful they are proving (here's a recent one I found http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product/170979/Random-Solo-Adventure-Jungle-Quest), but ebooks do have the advantage of being able to hyperlink the choices.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1031 on: July 27, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Lots going on here. I am doing the HARP Loot Layout, editing the final version of the SW module 'Shade' and also just jumped back into writing Emer IV.

Coffee is wonderful! And in summer, iced coffee with a shot of espresso, a splash of milk and chocolate syrup (aka, iced mocha but a lot cheaper made at home) is even better!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1032 on: July 28, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
Is Shade moderately close to being ready then?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1033 on: August 02, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
And is it based on the old Loremaster module, Shade of the Sinking Plain?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1034 on: August 05, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »
And is it based on the old Loremaster module, Shade of the Sinking Plain?

No; it is completely different. Because of this potential confusion, we might be changing the name.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1035 on: August 12, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
Green Gryphon is Copper on DriveThruRPG. I wonder when that happened.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1036 on: August 13, 2016, 05:58:44 AM »

Cool; I only usually follow RPGNow (which has been weird lately; the top Guild Companion sellers seem to keep jumping around). I think the sales numbers for DriveThru are much higher for medals than RPGNow. I've been waiting to see which goes Electrum first on RPGNow, Eidolon or Gryphon.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #1037 on: August 13, 2016, 06:13:23 AM »

Cool; I only usually follow RPGNow (which has been weird lately; the top Guild Companion sellers seem to keep jumping around). I think the sales numbers for DriveThru are much higher for medals than RPGNow. I've been waiting to see which goes Electrum first on RPGNow, Eidolon or Gryphon.

The number of sales required for DriveThru are the same for RPGNow. However our links all point to RPGNow in marketing (for historical reasons, namely that we started on RPGNow before the creation of OBS) and for the practical reason that a link can only go to one place.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1038 on: August 13, 2016, 06:44:01 AM »

The number of sales required for DriveThru are the same for RPGNow. However our links all point to RPGNow in marketing (for historical reasons, namely that we started on RPGNow before the creation of OBS) and for the practical reason that a link can only go to one place.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Ah! Good to know. Thanks, Nicholas. For some reason I thought the numbers were lower for RPGNow because it was the 'indie' game publisher site.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1039 on: August 13, 2016, 07:07:11 AM »

Yes, they have kept mucking up on RPGNow, haven't they? I guess there were database problems. I'm possibly expecting Green Gryphon to go Electrum first (it's older, cheaper and can be used anywhere). There's a heck of a lot more competition on DriveThru than RPGNow, and all of GCP's links post to RPGNow.

EDIT: Ah, I see Nicholas already mentioned the last. Most companies' links tend to post to DriveThru (which is why there's more 'competition'; there aren't any more products on the site); I think people pick one or the other to focus on. It's better to get a metal on one site I think, than not get it on two.