Author Topic: Space Master 3rd Edition Tech  (Read 6798 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Space Master 3rd Edition Tech
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
 I think this explains it very well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server .

IMHO if you are a fan of the cloud then you are a fan of VS as you have most of the same advantages, problems and limitations of each.

As for the camera, I take a piece of paper and 1-2 paper clips and disable it as I do not like sticking tape on the lens if there is one.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Post-it notes are sticky, sufficiently opaque, and leave no residue. I use the little page-tab size.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
Depends on what need you want to cover. Personally, I use virtual machines on my PC from time to time. I mainly use them as a 'temprary PC' that I may need for a specific job. I can install junk on them, do what I need and then throw them away.
If you have a server up and running, and you need more servers for different purposes you might want to consider some virtual ones before you expand with more hardware. That is only applicable if your existing server have unused capacity of course.
The IT marked has moved on to using virtual servers, and the move is continuing in taht direction. A few years ago businesses only used them for test and develeopment, but now they are also used in production environments (regular businesses, not just google, facebook and other giants).
Virtualisation have actually been around for many years, but have only existed on mainframes. Using it on distributed platforms like windows and linux is a newer invention (15 years maybe).
-Terry

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
What do you all think about Virtual Servers? 

Well definitely off topic, but since I've played with some at work, and it cna lead to interesting stuff regarding SM computer tech.

First you have to be aware that there's 2 kind of Virtual servers :

- Virtualization on top of the hardware. ( Xen for example )
- Virtualization on top of an already running OS. ( VMWare, Virtualbox )

There's also something in between from Oracle ( well from Sun initally ) : it's called zones.

In the case of the first one, you have a small hypervisor that is used to virtualize the hardware so that all the OSes on top can see it ( well see the part they are allowed to see ).

In the case of the second one, the hosting OS just virtualize everything and the hosted Os uses ressources provided by the host.

As for the in between... the hosting OS is the Solaris kernel ( and just that ), and the hosted OSes have to be Solaris or Sparc Compatible Linux )

I've never used the first one... I never had in my hand a server big enough to make it worth to try.
I used the second one many times, as it's how we did the initial install of a telecom system at work :
We have a linux virtual machine with a jumpstart installed on it started on our PC, connected to the system to install ( virtual ethernet port from the virtual machine tied to the regular ethernet port ).
All the initial configuration is performed through the virtual machine... then once the system has jumpstarted, we can stop it and use our PC to finish the job.

I've also used the Sun/Oracle In Between a lot, as it allows to partition an unix server in such a way that people can crash their personal server without impacting the other virtual servers... At least as long as they have no access to the root zone ( but I'm not crazy enough to let them have access to that, since crashing that zone would mean crashing every virtual servers on the system ).
The nice bit of this one is that it's easy to maintain, it's easy to create and remove, and you can do it even on old Sparc Systems. ( as long as they can install Solaris 10. )
The not nice bit, it's 100% proprietary : SPARC servers ( with Sparc Processors ).

Since I've moved to other things ( aka : Internet Backbone Routers ) 3 years ago, all the above might be outdated, as tech progress quite fast in that domain.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
THE DEFINING FACTOR IN TECH IS CULTURE AND Economics , why we do not have flying cars, first the industry is not there, we do not have the air traffic control grid and we do not currently have the tech . to get the tech we would need development worth billions of Dollars that are based on petrolium wealth, not gold / see that lead to why we still have ground cars, no I am being real simple here and leaping to vast conclusions but it is examples - the Imperial tech could be just under  Tech level 25 FOR PURE ECONOMICAL SAKE - that all tech after 25 or 26 is  too economically destabilizing, too many people would gain too much freedom for the whole system to hold.
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
I remember with fondness having a character use a holodisc or some-such with "100MB of storage!".  I think the SM2 camcorder could record something like 8 hours of video.  :)

For SMU (let's get RMU done first, though, okay?), Peter Hamilton's works provide some interesting perspectives on very advanced societies, and what they might look like.  Likewise, EVE Online has some interesting views buried in its lore.  Fundamentally, a science fiction setting needs to be able to handle the idea of human and societal motivations, and the concept that advanced societies can meet all of their basic survival needs easily.  Does technology exist to transfer consciousness?  If so, what does that do to the concept of death?  In game terms, how does that affect skills?  In societal terms, how does that affect identity and property management?

The other challenge is framing the tech is a manner that the game doesn't just become driven by gear.  "Oh, my character has sub-superhuman intelligence?  I'll just buy an AI boosting implant."  It can make for duller gameplay, so scenarios and campaigns need to introduce scarcity.

Finally, combat at high technology levels gets very lethal, very fast.  Ignore things like nuclear weapons for the moment: how do you handle things like robots with nanosecond reaction times and perfect first-shot accuracy?  To some degree you can hand-wave it away, but the setting needs to make that plausible somehow.

Just some ideas: feel free to dump all over them if you don't like them.  :)

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »
I remember with fondness having a character use a holodisc or some-such with "100MB of storage!".  I think the SM2 camcorder could record something like 8 hours of video.  :)

For SMU (let's get RMU done first, though, okay?), Peter Hamilton's works provide some interesting perspectives on very advanced societies, and what they might look like.  Likewise, EVE Online has some interesting views buried in its lore.  Fundamentally, a science fiction setting needs to be able to handle the idea of human and societal motivations, and the concept that advanced societies can meet all of their basic survival needs easily.  Does technology exist to transfer consciousness?  If so, what does that do to the concept of death?  In game terms, how does that affect skills?  In societal terms, how does that affect identity and property management?

The other challenge is framing the tech is a manner that the game doesn't just become driven by gear.  "Oh, my character has sub-superhuman intelligence?  I'll just buy an AI boosting implant."  It can make for duller gameplay, so scenarios and campaigns need to introduce scarcity.

Finally, combat at high technology levels gets very lethal, very fast.  Ignore things like nuclear weapons for the moment: how do you handle things like robots with nanosecond reaction times and perfect first-shot accuracy?  To some degree you can hand-wave it away, but the setting needs to make that plausible somehow.

Just some ideas: feel free to dump all over them if you don't like them.  :)
The Dorsai series delt with some of this quite well. Essentially military countermesures would be able to "gimmick' things like AI's and high tech weaponry (emp?). A quote in the book said something to the effect of "the standard thug in an alley had heavier fire power than the standard infantary". An infantry man was down to using sopisticated air rifles. The author hand waved how things were "gimicked" and just presented it as an energy field that could be moved into a city or battlefield and turned on.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »
Another tech the I liked in a series of books were laser pistols that took a minute or two to recharge. Then people used pistol and sword (hi tech vibro or something). There was a technology that was essentially a portable forfield generator that would stop bullets. Of course, in the story it occured to someone that people had stopped using the shields years ago because they were combersome. Lasers had become the tradition and no one really even new much about good old guns. The hero then finds himself an assault rifle and goes balistic (pardon the pun).
So essentially tradition had defined the technology, this society had dabbled with and lost control of AI's, so they were not used.
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 04:35:33 AM »
Another tech the I liked in a series of books were laser pistols that took a minute or two to recharge. Then people used pistol and sword (hi tech vibro or something). There was a technology that was essentially a portable forfield generator that would stop bullets. Of course, in the story it occured to someone that people had stopped using the shields years ago because they were combersome. Lasers had become the tradition and no one really even new much about good old guns. The hero then finds himself an assault rifle and goes balistic (pardon the pun).
So essentially tradition had defined the technology, this society had dabbled with and lost control of AI's, so they were not used.

Sounds like Simon R. Green's Deathstalker universe.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Sounds like Simon R. Green's Deathstalker universe.
Indeed :)
It would be a perfect RM universe to play in.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »
And here I was wondering what SF/Fantasy author to go pick up next.  Thanks ICE forums!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
And here I was wondering what SF/Fantasy author to go pick up next.  Thanks ICE forums!
If you are talking about the Deathstalker series, just keep one thing in mind: it is a very over-the-top style adventure. Every character you meet is the ultimate/bestest at whatever it is they do (pilot, swordsman, pistoleer, etc...), which to me does't really go with SM, which is more gritty. I am not saying they are bad books, just that they are not hard sci-fi, so don't be expecting that.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
If you are talking about the Deathstalker series, just keep one thing in mind: it is a very over-the-top style adventure. Every character you meet is the ultimate/bestest at whatever it is they do (pilot, swordsman, pistoleer, etc...), which to me does't really go with SM, which is more gritty. I am not saying they are bad books, just that they are not hard sci-fi, so don't be expecting that.

That's true of all of Simon R Green's books really. And most of the series link together in some way.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »
That's true of all of Simon R Green's books really. And most of the series link together in some way.

He makes some great characters, Valentine being one of my faves :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »
  Here is an interesting story about graphene and what it might do, http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/23/tech/innovation/tomorrow-transformed-graphene-battery/index.html?hpt=hp_t4
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
 Here is another article about graphene and how it may be the new wonder material,
 http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/02/road-rave-how-graphene-nearly-magic-material-could-revolutionize-automobiles/?intcmp=features .
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.