Author Topic: New Rolemaster, Google+ Hangout campaign  (Read 3410 times)

Offline cinmay

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Rolemaster, Google+ Hangout campaign
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »
I am starting a new RM high fantasy(expect dragons and flying ships) campaign that will be played using Google+ Hangout with the Tabletop forge app.

The idea is to create a sandbox world where you will be free to choose almost any race and class you want. Rule nr1. is to have fun so we will take the hero approach to your character creation where the players are the heros of the story and will be better than a normal character would be.

The sessions will be played 1 time pr week in the evening of the central European time zone or possibly sunday afternoon if we get a lot of Us and other non Europeans joining.

The game system is Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing RMFRP (RM third edition) simply because that's what I am used to playing and that’s the system all my sourcebooks are using.

If you are interested then check out the campaign on Obsidian Portal.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Rolemaster, Google+ Hangout campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
I might be interested, however I have a few "issues" or questions.

1) Google+, ghh, no idea how the friggin hangouts work, do they have voice or what? I've seen that app, but never tried it as my account doesn't have active G+ on it (I dislike all "social network" crap, don't use Facebook or Twitter either).

2) Never tried RMFRP, how much does it differ from RM2.5?

3) Is character creation over G+ hangout possible as I've never done one for FRP.

4) Setting, Shadow World, your own, something else? High fantasy? Magic level (is magic everyday and magic items just common tools or is magic rare?).

CET is a good timezone for me, so that is not an issue, as long as we start playing after 17:00 Swedish time (CET in other words).

Offline cinmay

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »
1. Well Google hangouts uses voice, webcam and the app. I fully understand if you are not comfortable with that. I'm not my self but it seems to be one of the better systems out there and I want to play more then the 1 time pr week me and my palls manage to scrape together in between work and family life.  http://tabletopforge.com/videos/

2. I have not tried RM classic but there seems to be quite a bit of difference in the skill system. http://www.ironcrown.com/?page_id=711

3. I'm very liberal with my character gen. I don't mind cheeting but I like to know when my players do, so I can give the advantage to everyone. If you are missing 5 DP to get all the training packages you want I'm not going to stand in your way. The most important thing is that the players get to play the character they want.

4. The world will be something we create together. (ok I usually do most of the work and Ill reuse some stuff from older campaigns.) I personally prefer magic to be not very rare. You can by magical items perhaps not from a shop but from another mage. Don't expect that every other person you meet on the street is a mage but expect NPC's and enemy's to be aware of it's existence and are able to use it intelligently. I won't put any restrictions on the classes you can play so if you want to play an arcanist then go ahead.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
Thanks for the answers, sounds pretty good to me.

1) Is voice only enough? I don't have a webcam, so :P As for the app, I guess I'll have to figure that one out.

2&3) I think I'll be able to figure the system out. The main reason I was wonderin about character creation on G+ is because I've never done it, so I would need help with it.

4) Aha, well, that should be interesting, I'm working on my own setting (very, very, very slowly) so I might bring something in from that to a character, depending on what I play of course.
I think that magic level is fine, as long as there are no shops for magic items or magic street lights and such I'm pretty good with it.
Also, have no friggin idea what an arcanist is, so :P

Offline cinmay

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
Voice will be fine np. ;) Arcanist is a super mage using the Arcane magic rules from the Arcane Companion.
Ill give the search for new players another week before I start I think. I have to motivate some of my friends a little to try out this thing called the internet and not just playing with books too. :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
Voice will be fine np. ;) Arcanist is a super mage using the Arcane magic rules from the Arcane Companion.
Ill give the search for new players another week before I start I think. I have to motivate some of my friends a little to try out this thing called the internet and not just playing with books too. :)
;D
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

Aha, well, I don't think that would hold my interest these days, tho I have many character ideas. I guess I'll activate my G+ and see about that app. I'll PM you my G+ info tomorrow and something about my character ideas so you can see which one would fit the best.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
Or, instead of G+, should we use Roll20 instead since they just went to Open Beta today?

http://roll20.net/

Offline cinmay

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Ill have a look at roll20.
In the mean time I started the discussions on the Campaigns forums at Obsidian Portal.
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/changing-of-the-moons/forum

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Ill have a look at roll20.
In the mean time I started the discussions on the Campaigns forums at Obsidian Portal.
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/changing-of-the-moons/forum

Ok, I'll get to the forum tomorrow, when I'm back at my computer and not this silly tablet, that fights me all the way when typing or doing anything productive.

Offline cinmay

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:32 AM »
We are finlay ready to get started. The first session will be held on Tuesday 19. at 20:00 CET – 18:00 GMT – 10:00 PST – 14:00 EST if my calculations are correct. At that time we will together work out some of the parameters of the world setting so it matches the character concepts. We will also help out those who are not used to the RM rules. I’ll be helping out later in the week if needed. It usually takes a session or two to make a good character and as always if you are not happy with the character there will be plenty of opportunity to make adjustments later on once you have played a few sessions.  There will be plenty of opportunity to join the campaign later too.