Author Topic: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?  (Read 68070 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Where will you buy your Rolemaster?
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »
We (Aurigas and GCP and our distribution/printing partner) are in discussion about how many copies of new unified Rolemaster should be printed for mainstream distribution to physical and online stores. PDF versions will be available via OneBookShelf network and print-on-demand versions will be available there as well.

It's been a while since Rolemaster has had products suitable for distribution, so this is some data-gathering on our part.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:27 AM »
Just like I said for HARP, I prefer a physical store, but I am OK with getting it on-line, one way or another.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »
If you do a deal to be able to buy a physical book with the PDF for free. I'll probably do that via whatever online resource is available.
Otherwise I'll probably just buy a PDF from whatever online retailer, don't really care which one.

www.chaos8.com

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:27:32 AM »
Physical copies for me, will probably buy two of each.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »
I prefer physical copies, but will deal with online if that's the only option.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
Prefer a copy created by ICE but will have one made from PDF if necessary.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
There are going to be print versions. That is guaranteed and why we've been so keen to get to grips with how OneBookShelf/LightningSource does print-on-demand. The question for Aurigas/GCP is how many we and our partners should be creating as a print run to service the stores.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »
I definitively want a printed version. And preferably PDF too. I would be very happy to buy it from my local retailers in Quebec City (Imaginaire.com or BoutiqueDonjon.com). But I think the main distributor for such product in Canada is Lion Rampant.

I am looking with my gaming group to get beta testers for the upcoming RMU.  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
I would favour a print copy, but a deal which nets me the .PDF instantly while the post brings the book is the top preference. Postage is the kicker with print on demand, especially as we are UK.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
I would favour a print copy, but a deal which nets me the .PDF instantly while the post brings the book is the top preference. Postage is the kicker with print on demand, especially as we are UK.

OBS has two  LightningSource printing facilities that do their rpg printing - one is in the US and the other is in the UK!

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
I would prefer getting a printed copy, but I am doubtful about seeing them on the shelves in my part of the world very quickly. Despite that hindrance I will eventually get my hands on a printed copy, that much is certain, and will buy the pdfs as well. I will support ICE with my euros and try to encourage my friendly neighbourhood gaming store to help me with that effort. I will hopefully see Rolemaster becoming a religion-like phenomena like Apple is but without the logic destroying effect.  :P
Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
I want a printed version, I'd prefer it not to be PoD, but I'll take a PoD as well, especially since I have no local store.

TBH, I'd love a boxed set, but I guess that will be a dream (or an Indiegogo project :P ).

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
Gonna buy the printed books from OneBookShelf for reading through and also pdf's for GMing.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
I have 2 local stores. One of them is Games Workshop and therefore stocks only GW products. The other is a very small independent that worships at the altar of D&D 4 - its stocks of any other game are extremely limited. As I like physical copies, I think it will be PoD for me.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
I have 2 local stores. One of them is Games Workshop and therefore stocks only GW products. The other is a very small independent that worships at the altar of D&D 4 - its stocks of any other game are extremely limited. As I like physical copies, I think it will be PoD for me.

You might ask if they can special order for you. But sometimes it is just easier to go PoD as you said.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline lordmalachdrim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
Hard copy or I wont touch it.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
Definitely printed from my favorite shop ( if possible ).

That's my little part of trying to keep alive the whole PnP food chain ( from the editor to the distributor to the shop to my shelves ).

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
I voted the same answers as over on the HARP Fantasy post (which is PoD or retailer). I am up for supporting more of our local retailers, but the lack of them carrying a good selection of ICE  products I need will probably force me to go the PoD way. I will always try to get both a copy of the printed product and a pdf for the lowest and most comfortable way.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
Jetpack Comics!  Our FLGS...if you stepped into Jetpack you'd hardly think gaming stores were a dying breed.   On Free Comic Book Day we had 9 different RPG games going on.   It would be great if printed books were on the shelf.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
Jetpack Comics!  Our FLGS...if you stepped into Jetpack you'd hardly think gaming stores were a dying breed.   On Free Comic Book Day we had 9 different RPG games going on.   It would be great if printed books were on the shelf.
Nice store from your description. And nice turn out.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.