Author Topic: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues  (Read 13181 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »
I pushed the skills into Sphere categories because it added a level of complexity to the Mystical Arts category I did not want to implement. It would  mean I needed logic for sub-sub skills. Also Spheres have a lot going on for them besides just being a skill so having them outside in their own category was a lot easier in the long haul. The end result is the same, it just looks a little different.  ;)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
Since Rogues don't have their own sphere - but they do have Mystical Arts as a favored category, the only spells they get access to (without Arcane Circle or Arcane Power) at DP=2/rank costing are the Universal spells.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
I pushed the skills into Sphere categories because it added a level of complexity to the Mystical Arts category I did not want to implement. It would  mean I needed logic for sub-sub skills. Also Spheres have a lot going on for them besides just being a skill so having them outside in their own category was a lot easier in the long haul. The end result is the same, it just looks a little different.  ;)

I actually though of that when I was working on my own software. The class structure that I came up with allowed for any number of layers of categories.

Since Rogues don't have their own sphere - but they do have Mystical Arts as a favored category, the only spells they get access to (without Arcane Circle or Arcane Power) at DP=2/rank costing are the Universal spells.

My understanding is that AutoHarp doesn't actually impose that limit. The fix through the database would give the Universal sphere the 2DP/rank cost but not the other spheres unless all the spheres were added as favored categories. So if a Rogue character invests some DPs into Arcane Power there could be a problem because that new sphere would also need to be at 2DP/rank.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2013, 01:59:13 PM »
My understanding is that AutoHarp doesn't actually impose that limit. The fix through the database would give the Universal sphere the 2DP/rank cost but not the other spheres unless all the spheres were added as favored categories. So if a Rogue character invests some DPs into Arcane Power there could be a problem because that new sphere would also need to be at 2DP/rank.

There is no problem there with AutoHARP. If you want any Sphere to be DP cost 2 just right click the sphere category and declare it as favored. You can even set individual spells to cost 2. So there is no limitation to editing the spell costs even after the character is created. Marking a category as favored in AutoHARP really just lets the application know that category and everything in it is cost 2.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »

There is no problem there with AutoHARP. If you want any Sphere to be DP cost 2 just right click the sphere category and declare it as favored. You can even set individual spells to cost 2. So there is no limitation to editing the spell costs even after the character is created. Marking a category as favored in AutoHARP really just lets the application know that category and everything in it is cost 2.

That works for me :)

It never occurred to me to right click on a skill category to see what options there were. Nice feature.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
It never occurred to me to right click on a skill category to see what options there were. Nice feature.

Lots of options. The one I particularly like is the Rebuild Category option. I didn't realize the right-click feature was not known by most. So here are some other things people might have missed.

1) Whatever you can do with the Skills in the main character sheet, you can do the *same* thing in the New Level wizard. They have the same features.
2) You can right click a category, skill or a subskill and get different features.
3) You can delete skills in a category and get them back later by rebuilding the category.
4) You can import an attack from a melee or missile skill. A much faster way of adding attacks to the defense tab attack section.
5) By making a skill favored, this makes the skill show up on the front page. Favored skills have a different color indicating they are favored.
 8)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
I also noticed that you can add a skill to a category, but that skill is only added to that character and not the database.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
Yes, all changes to the character sheet do not effect the database in any way. Each character sheet is autonomous. In time I should have a front end to the database where a person can start editing that database.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
I just discovered the bug where apparently Mystical Arts becomes a Cost of 3DP rather than 2DP. This is caused when you add an additional profession during leveling up and that profession happens to have Mystical Arts as favored when it wasn't before, or vice versa. This bug has now been replicated and addressed in the next version.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
I get a bug when creating a Harp SF character. The wizard does not allow me to go beyond the profession selection screen. The next button doe nothing and I do not get any warnings or error messages.

???

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
I sure hope that is a database issue I can patch with a simple workaround. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been reported until now.  :o I'll check it out ASAP.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
The issue above can be fixed with a database fix but it should have also been something done in the code itself, which is something I have now addressed with the new version coming out when I finish up with my NewLevel stuff. This is a major issue that I'm surprised hasn't been reported. I apologize for the issue, but since I know I have Sci-Fi users please don't hesitate to report issues like this. They should never come up, but in the software world, it's not a rare happenstance. I'm trying to figure out which direction to go and I'm thinking a database update may be the best. I'll send it out as version 1.0.3.1

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
It isn't a rush for me. I will be quite happy to wait for the next version. I'm just started trying out the HarpSF part and I don't yet have the books (getting them during to week).

I'm surprise this wasn't reported since it is pretty impossible to actually complete a character. Perhaps it is something new with 1.0.3 since I haven't tried HarpSF before now.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
It's possible people who downloaded 1.0.3 saw the bug and went back to 1.0.2. I haven't really been updating Harp Sci-Fi until now so the difference between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 on the Sci-Fi end of things should be minimal. I'm thinking a recent code change made the database issues come to the surface since the code is shared by both databases: Fantasy and Sci-Fi. I guess this makes it pretty obvious that I wasn't spending a lot of time with Harp Sci-Fi.  ;) With 1.0.4 that's changed since Sci-Fi XTreme put a lot of focus on that side of the application. Interestingly enough, it was Harp Sci-Fi that forced me to redesign the New Character wizard, and now it's College of Magics that has forced me to redesign the New Level wizard. Both wizards are going to look quite different in 1.0.4.  8)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Can't wait to play with it. 18 of my 20 test characters require College of Magic to test accurately. But so far it been pretty smooth sailing when I tested.

;D

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
I can't wait for people to see it as well. I'm going to have a few pleasant surprises for everyone with this new release. I'll keep that under wraps until the release date.  ;D Right now College of Magics is going smoothly. I have a couple more things to add and then it's testing time for everything.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »
Harp Sci-Fi Update 1.0.3.1 Now available!

This update fixes database issues that prevented users from making new character sheets. If there are any other issues with Harp Sci-Fi or Harp Fantasy please do not hesitate to report them here. I check this forum often and I try to keep up with issues and will make necessary updates based on the severity of the issue itself. Please report anything that you feel may be wrong or any questions you may have. If you are not satisfied with the software, I would like to know so I can work to make the application better.

Thank you! ;D

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
I managed to complete a character for sci-fi with the new database. I notice a minor issue in the new character wizard when doing the adolescent and professional ranks. An adolescent rank that I placed had disappeared when I did the professional ranks in the category. The rank was not lost and was still part of the character when completed. This might be a moot point since that wizard has already been change, so I've been told.

But the test case is: Human/Militaristic/Soldier, I added a rank in Brawling for the Adolescence pool, and when I got the the Combat category again for the professional ranks it was no longer displayed the rank in Brawling.

I'll be doing more testing once I get the books and read them.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
Yeah, the whole Adolescence Ranks and profession ranks have been completely retooled so this could very well have been addressed. I'll be sure to keep an eye for this though, however initial testing would indicate this issue is resolved.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
I have discovered or at least learn what is causing my problems under ubuntu. Apparently i have to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu or else I cannot use wxWidgets 2.9.4. So I am upgrading my netbook now and hopefully I can have this wrapped up in a few days. Sorry for the delay with all of this but there will soon be a 1.0.4 version for Ubuntu users.