Author Topic: Guild Companion November 2013 (Issue 177)  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion November 2013 (Issue 177)
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion; Issue 177 is available at www.guildcompanion.com.

This month we present the fifth installment of "Forgotten Realms Deities" and an addendum to chapter 7 of "Mind Over Matter," the psionics companion. You can find new weapon styles for Combat Companion and a half dozen new elemental magic items. Plus, the usual Words from the Wise Guys.

Peter Mork
Guild Companion Editor

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Guild Companion November 2013 (Issue 177)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »
Another great companion!

The dieties article series is turning out to become almost a book(let). Good interpretations of the original (Greyhawk) version.

The psionic articles were pretty good overal and they provide a useful handhold for GMs wishing to include them in their games. (Dark Sun?)

Although I am not using Combat Companion for my games, I imagine people will jump on the weapon styles article of this month: Lots of imaginative styles, worked out in a way that makes them fun, worthwhile to take and not too overpowered.

The Spheres of the Elements are very nice. I already have something of the same order in my games. One question though: how large and heavy are the spheres? If they are like marbles; they might be overpowered, if they are like 1 yard diameter, they might be underpowered. How big has the Author pictured them?

Game On!

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
I deliberately didn't specify a size and weight for the spheres, as that is really up to the gamemaster, in my estimation. If I were to drag them out, I would make them around the size of the cliched crystal ball, and about the same weight, or maybe slightly larger than two fists, and around five to ten pounds.

If I get time, next weekend, I hope to write up another non-psionic article (there are two more psionics chapters waiting to be published).
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
http://arc.id.au/Cannonballs.html

Find the relative weight per size you want, and decide it for yourself.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
I like the cannonball article and it is now in my archive of nice websites, but I think it is better to calculate the volume and the specific weight of the substance they are made from.

I am ok with determining the weight of the items I am handing out, but I felt that the author might have had an insight on how big in relation to the power they should be. I agree with a big apple, or sizable grapefruit sized sphere.
Game On!