Author Topic: Guild Companion December 2013 (Issue 178)  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion December 2013 (Issue 178)
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion; Issue 178 is available at www.guildcompanion.com.

This month we present the sixth installment of "Forgotten Realms Deities" and chapter 8 of "Mind Over Matter," the psionics companion. You will also find "Notes on a Common Tongue" and an organization that investigates the paranormal, "Extraordinary Affairs."

Peter Mork
Guild Companion Editor

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Guild Companion December 2013 (Issue 178)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone over at TGC for another good issue.  Lots of material in this one.

I found Phillip Ellis's discussion on the common tongue to be interesting.  I only wish it were longer, it just whet my appetite for a discussion on fantasy languages.

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
In Mythus EGG used Trade Phonecian as a sort of common language in the sense that Phillip indicates. Most merchants knew it, as did travelers and the academic classes. In my setting the two primary human languages are related enough that speaking one allows spoken comprehension automatically at half rank (so if a native speaker of one tongue has an 8 spoken, she gets a 4 spoken in the other tongue without spending a single DP). The written forms are different, but having that transferability in spoken allowed us to do away with the idea of Common and use more of a common.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
In our LARP setting, most of the world was conquered by a particular power about 750 years ago, who then ruled for about 250 years. So there was plenty of time for the language to become the standard for governance and trade. Much like Latin, though more recent. Other languages are less used, although they still shape names, accents, etc. It's convenient for a LARP.

For our table-top game, there's no common tongue. There is the language of the kingdoms where most of the game takes place, but that only seems "common" to us provincial types. Most of the characters know multiple languages, but only a few are known by all the characters (possibly only one). I think it's good for a table-top game because it shifts who will speak for the party depending on the circumstances.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster