Author Topic: A little confused  (Read 3149 times)

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A little confused
« on: January 23, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
First of all, I really like AutoHarp!  but I have a question which probably has an obvious answer....

my issue is this, i have 6 ranks in a weapon skill, but i don't see how to select a favored weapon the category.  and when i go to the DB/OB sheet, and select a weapon for 'attack' it doesn't populate any of the fields with my specific info, skills stats or whatever, just generic weapon info.... what am i missing?

minor bug, if there is no attack in the bottom OB box, clicking up or down seems to crash the ap every time.

Thanks!

Darby

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: A little confused
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
I would appear the OB/DB doesn't work as well as it should. I'll write this up as a ticket on SourceForge. Anyone correct me if I am wrong but I thought a favored weapon in a category gave you +10 to the weapon, so to make the weapon favored you could just add +10 to the special. I'm not saying this is a solution but if I remember right, this may have been how I programmed it. I could supply an option in the drop down menu for this to make it more intuitive though.

Thanks for pointing this out.  8)

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »
I am a little surprised no one had seen it before!  So how is it supposed to work?  I add the skills to the category, but I am supposed to pick a favored weapon within the category, where does that happen?  For example, I put 6 skills ranks into short blade, but I need to specify somewhere that the favored weapon is shortsword.  Then any non-favored weapon is -10 (sort of the opposite of what you had above). 

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Ah... then there is more than what I was thinking. I will have to review the rules on this then and make sure this section covers it properly. Right now you can adjust the skills in the skills tab to reflect the "true" bonus value as you mentioned, by placing a +10 for the favored weapon and a -10 to the unfavored weapon. You could "favor" the skill/weapon. All this does is highlight the skill in the tab and place it in the favored skills on your sheet. However it might be easier to just write this on the printed sheet. So far what I think needs to happen here is the following:

1) Create a front-end to "favor" a primary weapon in a category of weapons.
2) Print this in the printed sheet.
3) Make sure the OB/DB tab marks this skill as favored.
4) Make sure the OB/DB is working.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »
So I sort of have it working now.  I would like to propose a bit of a change.  When players buy skill ranks in weapon categories, have them specify a favored weapon (as specified in the rules).  Then you populate the OB box with whichever attack they specify, but the OB would account for fav or not status.  The system now is quite confusing.  It seems you have to pick a category, then an attack from the list, and the program just assumes the specific weapon applies to the category.... it is agnostic as to which category should apply. 

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
One more thing, it seems weapons are picking up their skill bonus from whatever category you have active, no matter their actual category, but seem to have a native marker for 'missile' or 'melee'  because i can't seem to get spear, for example, to print out as a melee weapon the output.  it matters because it is two different skills, so you have to be able to specify which mode the skill applies to (ie melee spear or thrown spear). 

wouldn't it be easier to just have each weapon with a category variable, and when the player specifies it in the 'attack' field, you just look up the category bonus, check to see if it is the favored weapon or not, then print the bonus.  the system now is very clunky (import attack from the skills table, select in OB field, then select in attack field..).  Then just have Spear - thrown, or Spear - melee..... seems faster and easier.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
So I sort of have it working now.  I would like to propose a bit of a change.  When players buy skill ranks in weapon categories, have them specify a favored weapon (as specified in the rules).  Then you populate the OB box with whichever attack they specify, but the OB would account for fav or not status.  The system now is quite confusing.  It seems you have to pick a category, then an attack from the list, and the program just assumes the specific weapon applies to the category.... it is agnostic as to which category should apply. 

I'm a bit confused here as to what you are referring to. Let me try and replay it back the way I am understanding it. If I am wrong, please clarify where I went wrong. I'm thinking you are applying ranks to a weapon during the new level. It is here where you want the user the specify the weapon as favored. i could that by putting that option into the right click menu. Easy peasy. :) The OB then for that weapon will have the added bonus and the rest of the weapons in the group would have the negative bonus.

As for the second part, I'm assuming you are talking about the weapon groups, (since the category is Combat). Then in the group you have weapons. For example a weapon group would be Great Blades, and a weapon in that group would be Two Handed Sword. If you made Two Handed Sword favored it would give a +10 to that weapon and the rest would be a -10? (not sure on the rules). If this is what you are looking for I can make that change, no problem.

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
That is basically it.  But it isn't +10, it is just -10 for any weapon that isn't favored.  So by the rules, you have to have a character specify a favored weapon for each category. 

The other part is how to populate the OB box with appropriate data on the OB/DB page.  At the top, you specify 'attack' which should actually be 'weapon', but the box doesn't pick up actual bonus.  it seems you have to go to skills sheet first, and export back to OB page, then choose weapon.  but the program doesn't check if that skill applies to the weapon, it just applies whatever you applied.  it seems like this is overly complex.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
I was playing around with this and now I see where your confusion lies. I believe you are trying to manually add the weapon and are running into problems. I never intended that section to be a place to manually add, however given what I display there, I honestly sympathize with whomever is confused by this. The main idea for this section was just to allow the user to update their weapon information for use in the Combat Tracker and to be printed on their sheet. I designed it thinking the user will only use the Skills tab to import the weapon over to this list and then select the list so they can select a weapon. I thought this because work flow wise it made perfect sense. This part could use an update. The update I see is to add a new property called Weapon Group. I will also add another property called "Make as Primary Weapon" or something similar. That way, the user can manually add a weapon to the list without having to go through the Skills tab to do it.  This will also make the weapon list populate with weapons that belong to the group. This can also address having the OB automatically come up when the user selects the Weapon Group.

I'll write this up for SourceForge for version 1.06.

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:41:33 AM »
That sounds perfect!
I think part of the problem was it seems to me that the printed character sheet doesn't pick up weapon skills from the skills sheet to print on the first page.  you have to populate the OB box to get that output, so that box is important but a bit unintuitive.