Author Topic: Basic opinion after Play Testing RMU  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Basic opinion after Play Testing RMU
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
I think if RM intends to become a product capable of supporting a true company it needs to forget about the old customers and focus on new ones and RMU, in my opinion, does NOT do that.  Of course, then we get into if that's even possible these days... but I digress.

I think this is very true. If we all move over then that is a bonus. In marketing we always say that it is always easiest to sell more to an existing customer than it is to find a new customer. You cannot have a business model based upon the idea of exploiting an existing user base. You must actively seek out new users. Once you have new customers then you can up sell all you like.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
I will give RMU credit for trying to introduce the Size system into the game. I may not have liked it much as a character build issue, but for spells it would work wonderfully. This would allow like the shock bolt, lower level (1-3rd) elemental spells on the same charts as the normal spells, except with lower results and effects. One of the things that always frustrated me about the spells in RM is except the Magician's Shock Bolt, there was no low level damage spells. With the Size rules these can now be customized as with the same as the shock bolt which would allow for mini- fire, Ice, earth (pebbles) bolts at said (1-3 level). RM has one of the weakest mage type characters at lower level than any other system beyond the Wind Law or Spirit Mastery spell list. that is disappointing to me and adding these would do wonders for the system (Much like HARP) has done.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
My players do spell research to create those 1st & 2nd level combat spells.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Well in the flavor of the core rules and new players there is little to no thought of spells research. A core system should have things like this from the beginning as some of the spells at lower level are really lame and could have better uses in the list slots. Earth law especially is the worst of the bunch. Beginning characters should not be adequately experienced enough to conduct spell research until they achieve a certain amount of knowledge within a list (10 Ranks my guess) and also attain the research skill at an adequate level to be successful (unless rolling really good) as any research should be very hard or worse in the first place.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
Old RM2 stuff and some of the RMSS/RMFRP expansion books introduced lower level attack spells.  There are various factors in using them which may require some customization depending on the GM/Group/Setting.  We've converted a LOT of stuff from RM1/RM2 over to RMSS. Quite often I'll just take an old RM2 list and rebuild it.  Moving spells up or down and filling in the blanks.

I was looking forward to at least the spell lists from RMU (there's not much else left that's very compatible), but I've become more concerned that the tweaking of how some of the spells work in RMU is going to make them more problematic to back-covert to RMSS than pulling stuff forward from RM2 has been.  So unless they introduce something I've never seen in previous RM's or haven't come up with myself they may end up not being a very viable resource for new material.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 02:47:59 PM »
I am still working on a Hybrid RM/Harp spell system where a spell list has similar based spells that are Like RM with the spells being customization like RM. There are around 15-20 spells on the list with a base cost in ranks that can be tweaked. The Ranks developed in the list limit the amount of customization a spell can go through at the time and adjust the PP based on adjustments. So a level 6 Firebolt that goes an extra 50' would cost 7 or 8 PP rather than the 6 PP but the Fire Law list also has to have 7 or 8 ranks for this to work. In essence I took all the versions of the spell and made them as tweaks to the original spell. A Sleep X is a tweak to the original Sleep V spell so why list it multiple times when you can have it Scale.

This can also allow stand alone spells to exist out side of list that can also scale by developing the individual spell at a reduced cost. This would be good for cantrips or Training Package or specialty spells that are without a proper list.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »
I do miss the Druid spell Stones Throw, which was a directed spell that scaled depending on level. The lowest level attack (level 1 spell) maxxed out at a 'small' attack, then level 4 gave you a medium attack, 7 a large, etc.

The same Druid list (Stone Mastery) had other fun spells too:
--Magic Rock (a little rock that bursts/explodes on impact);
--Spike stones (AoE damage;
--Stone Elemental summons;
--and at higher levels, Petrification.

It was such a fun and flavorful list. A real shame they didn't include it in RMU.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
I am still working on a Hybrid RM/Harp spell system where a spell list has similar based spells that are Like RM with the spells being customization like RM.

I suspect you mean that second "RM" to be "HARP".  I really like the idea of adapting the HARP scaling mechanic to RM, but in order to keep the uniqueness of Base lists you're going to have to do a LOT of work.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 02:37:11 AM »
I've tried such conversion of RM spell lists to a system of combining spell lists with scalable spells some time ago. Overall I think the amount of work is acceptable. And it creates a wide variety of spell, that way perhaps also reducing the necessity for filling all empty spell list slots.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 07:36:11 AM »
I have already converted 15 list this way. I think Combining the Healing list will make the Healer or Lay Healer more effective in the long run and wound dominate DP for list or PP to heal.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
Overall I like the HARP healing spells better and an all encompassing Joining and Regeneration spell would be better than the current system of having all the list to cast a Joining spell as this would be like 28-35 PP (I can't remember how many systems needed this spell to be successful 4 or 5). Gritty is one thing but a fantasy game is my reality and would like for it to keep the adventure going rather than extended recovery time for PC's.