Author Topic: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?  (Read 26240 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
I think maybe the first product should be set in a very small locale that can easily lead to Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn- the newest "module" and perhaps be used as a tool to get PCs from 1-3 level.  So, maybe have the adventure center around a hamlet a couple days travel down main road (which I want to say is the Greenway) from Gryphonburgh.  That way we can use TftGGI to be the basis of which races, professions, and options are used in the intro stuff.  In short this could be a "hook" product to entice purchase.  If Jaiman is "owned" and there are no issues with using it's material we can simply expand on one of the mini adventures....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Now that might be a great idea.  I love Tales.  It is the type of product that I love as a GM, a LOT of information and some great NPCs.  It is a nice introduction to am area and a springboard for other adventures.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 12:19:14 PM »
So that would be less an entire AP, that gets players to either 10th or 20th level (or the RM equivalent) like Paizo's do, and more of a single introductory module or storyline. Which does have the advantage of not being too ambitious.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
Which I think is a lot more attainable goal on a volunteer only basis.....

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
Absolutely. Then, if it goes well, move onto more adventurous projects.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
I had a look at Jaiman, and the most suitable adventures would probably be Cult of the Third Moon and The Curse of Andaras. I don't think, as is, they are really suitable for low level characters though.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
I had a look at Jaiman, and the most suitable adventures would probably be Cult of the Third Moon and The Curse of Andaras. I don't think, as is, they are really suitable for low level characters though.

I'd suggest doing something completely new.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
One could start in the Star-Crown Empire and explore off from there. I would generate a low level beginning that is well formatted as I like the module anyway.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
One could start in the Star-Crown Empire and explore off from there. I would generate a low level beginning that is well formatted as I like the module anyway.

I'm not sure if we have the rights to use that.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
No, the author for that is still listed as "missing." Although a couple of authors have been found recently, they are either redeveloping their supplements, or they are being published as-is. I think only those I listed have the rights.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
That is disappointing.... Though you have put a lot of effort into Tanara which may be a way to introduce the dangers of the Dragon Lords.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
If you were to do a low level starter adventure, another location choice would be somewhere in Xa-ar. Don't use the existing adventures, but instead a starter module that could lead into those. See if there are any potential hooks in the supplement.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Xa'ar would be good too.  That and TftGGI are really nice looking books.  Quellebourne is great too- but the book isn't as new looking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 05:04:38 PM »
With Quellbourne, the idea (well, mine anyway) would be to overhaul and replace the existing book with a brand new series of books covering the area and expanding on the existing material.

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
A low level starter is not an AP, a far cry from it. A full AP is a big undertaking, especially on a volunteer basis, and requires significant coordination across a large number of contributors as BP pointed out. So as has been suggested, a low level starter adventure might be more realistic. However, in that case I don't really see the need for crowdsourcing that, as this can be done by one single individual (well at least the story/plot can and probably should be done by one person and then layouts, maps, character creation, art and editing can be outsourced). An adventure of that kind can be placed almost anywhere, although I like the idea to hook it onto TftGGI the most as TftGGI works almost as the outline of an AP in itself. This would give new people coming into the franchise a clear reason to buy TftGGI and get hooked on SW. I think the Xa-ar suggestion works very well also.

Having said all that, I still like the idea of an AP (at least on a theoretical level :P). Developing an AP is essentially like fully fleshing out a campaign plot. If it was up to me, I would make the AP somewhere in Jaiman/Emer, just to avoid having to develop as much of the surrounding setting thanks to Terry. This would also make it easier to keep participants within a known framework (which makes coordination a fraction easier). Some examples for possible Jaiman/Emer based AP locations:
 - Tanara: I think Tanara has a host of great adventure ideas/hooks that could be very suitable for developing into a full long campaign style AP (if that is something Terry would be open to).
 - Sanara: It is just the kind of fringe/border setting that lends itself particularly well to an AP. Could lend elements from Xa-ar.
 - Meluria: Similar to Sanara and can use Aranmor as part of the AP. Could also blend with elements from the upcoming(?) Lethys sourcebook. Maybe take the PC's to Plasidar.
 - Lygaar: Offers endless opportunities for a string of adventures (from jungle exploration to discovering the secret behind Ardania).
 - etc.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 04:49:41 AM »
Indeed, a starter adventure doesn't need a team (and might actually be easier in some ways without one). However, people's time is limited, and a starter adventure made by a team could be produced faster than a single person working part time. Moreover, this adventure would be more of a test bed to see if the concept works, and then progress upwards to an adventure path. Otherwise, you'd be trying to do a full AP as a first project - and, as has been mentioned, this could be overly ambitious for such a project. Rolemaster doesn't have the freelancer base that Pathfinder does.

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
That makes sense egdcltd, and there seems to be sufficient interest here to move forward on this at a test basis. I'm happy to participate and help if needed.

I agree with Witchking20k that intertwining this product with RMU would make a lot of sense, at least for ICE. I would go so far as to suggest to link this product with the game world flavour examples in RMU. Now, I have no idea on RMU, but I assume that it will include game world examples in character creation and to demonstrate how to actions are resolved (like the majority of RPG's rules do). These characters and the generated game world flavour could indeed be part of the starter adventure. This would help introduce both SW and RMU to new gamers (which I assume is the objective for ICE). Just an idea, and as I said I have no idea on how RMU is being developed or if this is something they are planning to do.

I guess that the next thing to do is to get a sign off from Nicholas, decide on scope, resources (incl. participants), timeframe, as well as agree on setting and assign the various tasks including project leadership (someone needs to be managing and coordinating the various tasks or nothing will happen :p).

Offline chukoliang

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
Crowd Sourcing Modules for Shadow World would be great.

I agree with BPowell in that it would have to have set rules. So it might be better to wait to crowd source until after RMU is finished? A unified RM/HARP system would allow you guys to make a campaign that would target all RM/HARP/Spacemaster fans and all would benefit. As Shadow World seemed to have tech from Caveman to Spaceman already in it. So all systems could benefit from such a setting.

I think the whole RM community would benefit greatly from a campaign module series that takes players from level 1-50 through Shadow World and possibly Crydaon. With Cryadon having it's own crowd sourced campaigns. So again as BP pointed out the idea should be fleshed out so that you know the world arc for the campaign and that would allow writers to not step on each other's ideas and keep the campaign harmonious in the scheme of things which will ultimately unfold at the end of the campaign. But would still allow tremendous flexibility and creativity in all the separate modules.

If they did each module say in 5 level increments you could do 10 modules. 1-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20,20-25, 25-30, 30-35, 35-40, 40-45, 45-50.

It would just be so refreshing for me, to be able to hand someone a group of RM modules set in a RM world, that hand holds new players/GM's from level 1-50. It would also help so many new players to be able to just jump in and play and not be worried, or panicked by all of RM's rules and flexibility. Instead of RM's classic, you can do this, here's the math and go figure it out yourself ruleset options  ::)

In that vane it might also be worth it to make character packs for each module. Say we have the said 10 modules. And say RMU has 50 character classes. You could create 50 characters for each module. New players or those just interested in jumping into a game can say get the first modules pack and just grab a pre-made character of their desired class and jump in.  And if the guy who wrote that module created the pack he could preset all the fighting and other skills to benefit a player in that particular module. On top of that magical items, talents, and gear could be set for that module. Greatly increasing the chance new players will like it.

Obviously if the player started in module 1 he would have no need to use a pack in module 2-10. But if the group picks up new players or their character dies you can start to see where character module packs for each module would make great sense. If each module pack had a character for each level/class it would be very valuable for picking up players at any time. Or replacing a dead character without taking any real time and allowing the campaign to keep moving. And this making it much easier for a group to play a full campaign from level 1-50 in a SR world campaign. Remember death happens in RM. Well character packs with all levels would make it if you die at say level 43. You just grab a pre-made character and your ready to go. And 1 of each type means everyone is covered. Even if they want to play the same class or a totally different one. Death will still hurt, but it won't slow down or end the campaign  :).

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
I like your Idea. The player can still create a new character out of game session but would not loose out during game session due to the character packs.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
I like that too.  I was already imagining a MERP 2E-like character set-up where they are pre-made from levels 1-10 so that you can jump in at various levels of game-play.