Author Topic: Profession Question  (Read 2560 times)

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Profession Question
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
Is there anything like a semi-spell user version of the Rogue for Mentalism? I know we have the Armsmaster for combat roles & the Magent for stealth/subterfuge roles but I'm looking for something that is a bit more well-rounded than either of these.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Profession Question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
You could probably do that with a zen monk (from the Martial Arts Companion). They have a combination of combat-enhancing, movement-enhancing, and sense-enhancing spells which doesn't perfectly cover the stealth aspect but at least complements it.

I also did a conversion of the Nightblade which is in the vault. Although I'm not sure what's going on with the vault right now.

I don't know of any options which are not martial-arts based, though. A three-way hybrid profession is pretty tough. I would think Magent would cover it, just pick your stats and skills to emphasize combat a bit more.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »
Thanks much. I think I'll also take another look at the Magent & maybe replace the spell lists with those of the Venturer from the RMC Combat Companion. So many options :)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »
Here's the Nightblade in the Vault:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item168

The intent is to use the four spell lists there, plus the Magent's Disguise Mastery and Poison Mastery lists which were based on the Nightblade's base lists already.

I'm not familiar with the Venturer, but generally speaking it's not that hard to adapt RMC/RM2 material for RMSS/RMFRP. Many don't need any changes.

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »
Thank you, you're link helped.
Nightblade looks good & will try it out soon.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
Never had a chance to use it as an NPC but I was planning on using the Mage Hunter from Arcane Companion and scratch out arcane and pencil in mentalism and change the prime stats to CO/PR as it's base primes are CO/EM/IN/PR. It seems kind of rogue's to me besides the casting capabilities.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
I love the Nightblade and have one as an NPC in the campaign.

-BP

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:31:22 PM »
Never had a chance to use it as an NPC but I was planning on using the Mage Hunter from Arcane Companion and scratch out arcane and pencil in mentalism and change the prime stats to CO/PR as it's base primes are CO/EM/IN/PR. It seems kind of rogue's to me besides the casting capabilities.

That's a good thought, although they lose out on armor skills, which a mentalism realm semi would normally be better at. They might adapt more appropriately into essence. I expected magehunter would have worse skill costs because of being an Arcane caster, but actually their costs are the same or better in every skill as warrior mage, except subterfuge:mechanics (by a tiny bit) and directed spells (4 vs 12). Compared to magent, the magehunter has better weapon and combat maneuvers costs, but worse subterfuge.

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. We're going with the Nightblade for the time being with an Magehunter NPC as an antagonist so we get to try both since we have a few weeks of short filler quests until the next campaign is ready.

Offline Belgerond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
How do you use Rolemaster Companion professions in RMSS?
I have created some professions from Companions to RM office, but it is quite heavy job..
22 Years of Rolemaster or MERP as GM.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:13 PM »
How do you use Rolemaster Companion professions in RMSS?
I have created some professions from Companions to RM office, but it is quite heavy job..

There are conversion suggestions in GM Law.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
I do periodically create custom professions for my campaign world. I like using the Guild Companion guide called "Irregular Realms" by Tim Dugger because it provides balance. As a GM you are of course allowed to break the rules where appropriate, as the guide is meant for a slightly different use (allowing players to customize their own profession and completely abandon set professions). I also sometimes use "balanced profession design based on affinity" by Peter Mork because they allow for balanced yet more differing professions.

You can find the articles here:
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1999/mar/realms.html
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2012/feb/professiondesign.html

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »
I also have a profession designer spreadsheet on my site: http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/rm.htm

RMSS/RMFRP had no system for creating or balancing professions, so none of these systems (including the ones Moostik posted) are in any way official, but any of them should give you a reasonable starting point.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
Irregular Realms is awesome, definitely worth checking out .
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.