Author Topic: Best Single Healing List?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Best Single Healing List?
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »
With all the variety of Healing Lists, what list or maybe two, cover the most bases? Basically I'm not a huge fan of the way healing magic is handled and I'm curious if there might be a number of lists that hit multiple bases that can cover the majority of needs without a decent healer needing six freaking lists to do their job.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Best Single Healing List?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
"Arcane Healing" in the Arcane Companion.
I have it as a non-arcane (though base) list so that I don't need one complete character purely dedicated to healing since, as you said, you need six freaking lists in order to be able to heal injured characters. Well, healing hit points is a bit dear there, though, so I guess you'd also need "Concussion's Ways" but it'd be only two lists instead of six!
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
Arcane healing is the best healing list in the game hands down.  If you don't allow Arcane lists, then use Concussion's Ways.  Not half as good.  I also question why you would cast the 4th level spell for 4 PP and do 3d10 healing when you can cast the first level spell 3 times for 3 PP and get the same effect.
The only reason for any of the other channeling healing lists is to repair breaks and other more serious damage.

Additionally characters restore HP's quickly while resting (1 per hour), so healing is not as critical as previously assumed.  I believe the Healing Spell Lists do need some revision and upgrade though.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:59:19 AM »
I also question why you would cast the 4th level spell for 4 PP and do 3d10 healing when you can cast the first level spell 3 times for 3 PP and get the same effect.
Usually: time constraint as one (may) only need one round to cast the 4th level spell whereas casting thrice the 1st level spell would always take at least three rounds. This difference is vital in a combat situation.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely allowing Arcane Healing. I was also thinking of making Self-Healing from Mentalism as a Touch Healing list.

Though...which one do you mean? Arcane Companion version or Spell User's Companion?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
I would also suggest supplementing your healing lists with some/most/all of these: Herb Lore, Flora Lore, Region Lore, Foraging, Cooking, Use/Remove Poison.  Don't rely solely on spells to keep your party healed.  You don't need a lot of ranks in the skills and at worst, you get a bonus to what you hope to achieve vs. a -25 for not having the skill at all.

There are also spell lists that enhance the potions you're crafting.   Potions and herbs are great in a pinch as they conserve your PP and don't take spell prep time.  Three rounds to cast a spell or one round to quaff a potion.  If the spell caster is stunned for 5 rounds, popping a potion or a leaf can make a huge difference in combat.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
Yup-Yup, Conc's Ways - the time constraint thing is exactly why it got more expensive to cast multiple D10 healing.
In Combat, it isn't as economical - or life-saving! - to cast 5x1st Lvl Heal(1-10s) over the course of 5 rounds vs a Single 8th Lvl Heal(5-50)!

For your game, if wanting to get rid of all the wound healing lists - a simpler approach to healing might be a rule where healing the total concussion damage a Critical gives, also heals the associated injury?
That, and whatever injury mod is given could be represented in a straight conversion into HPs too, in a second column tracking it, if you want to show different injuries still having an effect on PC bodies.
Hell, add more for the certain crit it was(A=+5, B=+10, etc.), if you like, as we brainstorm:

So 13CK(rush) that leads to, "+10 Hits. Bruise foe's shoulder, fights at -20.” turns into a wound that requires 43HPs(13+10+20) to heal completely...+15HP more for the C Crit if you wanna increase totals if you feel this is still not hurtfully accurate enough for you.
23 of those HPs are mere Concussion damage reflected in the characters actual HP total while the other -20”HP” can be tallied under a Wounds and Impressive Scars section you and/or the players keep.

The player can then decide which side they wish to apply any HP recovery to.
That or you can rule all HP recovery must apply to the Modifier HP(Scars) totals first before actual concussion HPs(Body Dev) can come back:

All this if not using the Recovery tables for the differing injuries RM combatants can sustain.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
Looking at the RMSS versions of the list, the paladin list Holy Healing compares favorably to Arcane Healing. Not available to everyone though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Yup-Yup, Conc's Ways - the time constraint thing is exactly why it got more expensive to cast multiple D10 healing.
In Combat, it isn't as economical - or life-saving! - to cast 5x1st Lvl Heal(1-10s) over the course of 5 rounds vs a Single 8th Lvl Heal(5-50)!

For your game, if wanting to get rid of all the wound healing lists - a simpler approach to healing might be a rule where healing the total concussion damage a Critical gives, also heals the associated injury?

That's some really cool ideas! That would make damage in combat scary, but if you survive, a healer could get you 'back in the game' more quickly. I'll have to mull that over!