Author Topic: Large battles.  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Tim Honeysett

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Large battles.
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Hi, I am about to start a campaign using Rolemaster standard rules, are there any rules for running large scale warfare and in what book?
Thanks
Tim

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Large battles.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
War Law

To Waaaaaarrr!

It was a boxed set of large scale unit combat rules for RM2, actually. Easily used in an RMSS game. I did so not long ago for a siege scenario.

Only problem, it might be hard to find legitimately . I see there are a few to be had through Amazon for a steep price.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Be warned: some of the rules in War Law were very complicated. This is Rolemaster after all lol! On the other hand, if you are a war game enthusiast like me, or just didn't mind a lot of detail, it was awesome.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Tim Honeysett

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »
Thanks, I will try and track down a copy.
Tim

Offline DeadBob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
In the absence of a massive warfare ruleset, I treat each 'army' as a character, and hit points taken from the base attack are injured casualties, while hits taken from crits are KIA's. And criticals get interpreted vaguely. Like a broken leg is loss of cavalry mounts, or a head wound is a direct attack on officers.

And then I will sometimes just make it all up to fit the narrative I am looking to tell.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »
We made a conversion of RM2 stats to Warhammer Fantasy Battle and it worked out pretty good!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
In the absence of a massive warfare ruleset, I treat each 'army' as a character, and hit points taken from the base attack are injured casualties, while hits taken from crits are KIA's. And criticals get interpreted vaguely. Like a broken leg is loss of cavalry mounts, or a head wound is a direct attack on officers.

And then I will sometimes just make it all up to fit the narrative I am looking to tell.

cool! for smaller battles of a dozen or maybe up to 20 i use super fast combat.
i have warlaw too but have never needed to use it for large scale combats.
i used war machine from D&D campaign rules and it worked pretty well.
there is a cool battle encounter table i have used before. simulates the chaos of a large battle where your opponent is constantly changing and u get a chance to take on a certain or commander or standard bearer or whatever, its cool as.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »

cool! for smaller battles of a dozen or maybe up to 20 i use super fast combat.
i have warlaw too but have never needed to use it for large scale combats.
i used war machine from D&D campaign rules and it worked pretty well. it gives u % of casualties per force. Those unfamiliar with it you have a Battle Rating for each smaller force in your army of 20+. they get modifiers for training, mounted, missile, magical etc. its pretty simple compared to warlaw so i guess thats why i went that way and blended some elements of the two togther.
there is a cool battle encounter table i have used before. simulates the chaos of a large battle where your opponent is constantly changing and u get a chance to take on a certain or commander or standard bearer or whatever, its cool as.