Author Topic: Elemental Style: Fire (Corrected)  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Elemental Style: Fire (Corrected)
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
This is the corrected version from another post I made. There were a few typos and I corrected a rule for Chi Speed.

This style requires that the character have an equal or greater number of ranks in Martial Arts Strikes, Chi Speed, and the Acrobatics skill as he has in this style. This is a quick and aggressive attack style so practitioners will act fast and strike often. When attacking using this style each attack is only a small attack. Every other round the character makes a Medium Chi Speed maneuver roll (not counting against their actions for the round) to attack more than once for two rounds instead of one. The character needs only to roll for Chi Speed every other round to continue use of this special attack and only suffers a -5 cumulative modifier every other round. But once the character is unable to continue attacking everything resets and she/he suffer the normal penalties for using Chi skills for extra rounds. When attacked the character may make a Medium Acrobatics maneuver roll (doesn’t count against the character’s actions), if successful the character then adds the number of ranks in acrobatics to any Attack/Critical roll against the attacker. The attack maneuver is called “Fueling the Fire", and the defensive maneuver is called “Backdraft”.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Elemental Style: Fire (Corrected)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
I have two monks in my group that will love this. Thanks for sharing

~I~

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
I have two monks in my group that will love this. Thanks for sharing

~I~
I am glad you like it. Let me know how it works for your group.
I made this up for a new player in my game who enjoys the Avatar series, so I made her Fire Elementalist/Monk with fire style. Then I realized there was no fire style and had to make one. Unfortunately she has not been here to play this style since I made it. So it is not playtested. But please let me know how it works out for you.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
The characters that are being played in my group were started with the rules for DP from the revised edition. That went through about level 4 when I found posts here about the current rules for DP. I have some over-powered characters running around, which may not make for the best play test, but I will let you know if one or both of them decide to use the style.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
The characters that are being played in my group were started with the rules for DP from the revised edition. That went through about level 4 when I found posts here about the current rules for DP. I have some over-powered characters running around, which may not make for the best play test, but I will let you know if one or both of them decide to use the style.
The rules for DP in the revised ed (more appropriately called the updated ed) are what my group uses and they are all about 11th level. In the updated (circa 2011) version you get a base 100 DP at 1st level and 50 DP per level after that. I think that's fair and level. Do you find that 50 DP per level is to much?

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 12:07:09 AM »
This is my first Harp campaign, so I don't really have a good baseline to answer your question. As the book I have awards DP equal to stat bonuses, my players bought up their stats at 1st level with the intent of scoring huge DP at level up. That went on through their first few level ups, where they were able to max out quite a few skills. Once I found a posting on the forum about the 50 DP per level we agreed to follow that. I think overall the 50 is working much better than at earlier levels.

Honestly, having OP characters is not really a problem. My campaigns are about the epic heroes ( I call them PCs). The next Campaign my players will get to hear about their previous characters as legendary heroes. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
This is my first Harp campaign, so I don't really have a good baseline to answer your question. As the book I have awards DP equal to stat bonuses, my players bought up their stats at 1st level with the intent of scoring huge DP at level up. That went on through their first few level ups, where they were able to max out quite a few skills. Once I found a posting on the forum about the 50 DP per level we agreed to follow that. I think overall the 50 is working much better than at earlier levels.

Honestly, having OP characters is not really a problem. My campaigns are about the epic heroes ( I call them PCs). The next Campaign my players will get to hear about their previous characters as legendary heroes. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
I agree with you that it is all about having epic level heroes in the game. The flat 50 DPs per level is the "first and preferred option" for development points on pg 20 of the HARP core book. There is a grayed out box that explains why they do this on pg 21. But the book does give you the option of choosing which DP option you want to use.
That being said I have an auto calculating PDF that uses the flat 50 DP but if the character's stats ever produce more than 50 development points then it automatically switches to the higher number. It is interesting to note that none of my original players (who knew of this) have even tried to increase their stats to that point. If they did then the skills would loose out at lower levels and the characters would suffer and may not have made it through  the tight spots they barely made it through back then. Unfortunately the PDF tends to be slow in it's calculations probably due to the chaotic manner in which I programmed the sheet...lol.

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 09:42:45 PM »
My players had no problem at low levels. They have a couple of NPC's that follow them around to help keep them healthy. In the next session, I will be adding an additional NPC to aid in healing and other cleric duties.
I am using an Access DB with about four hundred miles of VBA code to calc stat and skill bonuses. It also has a fully functional combat tracker. All we have to do is select the Attacker, the target, and the attack information, enter the die roll and click a button. Makes combat fast and furious. I am loving this game, it has made excited about role playing again.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »
My players had no problem at low levels. They have a couple of NPC's that follow them around to help keep them healthy. In the next session, I will be adding an additional NPC to aid in healing and other cleric duties.
I am using an Access DB with about four hundred miles of VBA code to calc stat and skill bonuses. It also has a fully functional combat tracker. All we have to do is select the Attacker, the target, and the attack information, enter the die roll and click a button. Makes combat fast and furious. I am loving this game, it has made excited about role playing again.
Any chance you might want to share this Access DB? I messed with Access once a while back and considered using it for games but then I developed my automated PDF character sheet and have not looked any further.