Author Topic: Rules questions regarding 1) Spell preparation and 2) Hasted characters  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Rules questions regarding 1) Spell preparation and 2) Hasted characters
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
Let's notice that it was changed into a RAW in RMSS, becoming "only one spell may be cast per round, no matter whether Hasted or not", whereas in RM2 a note says "if the GM is prohibiting the casting of two spells in one round, as is suggested, …"
Similarly, whereas in RM2, the spell's description had "suggested rules for handling this are in section 7.4…", in RMSS it became "see 7.1.24 for more information."

I don't know how it was in RMC so it may be interesting that someone owning its SL checks.

RMC use the same wording as RMSS.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
RMSS does allow you to prepare one spell while casting another, or to prepare two spells at once, if you have enough activity (e.g. haste). You just can't cast two in the same round. (RMSR pg 76)

I don't see any equivalent to the Spellhaste spell in RMSS though. There are the Complex spells (Wizard) which combine the results but you have to spend the full time to cast two separate spells. Closest thing I see for simultaneous casting is Complex Rune for activating two bladerunes at once, not really the same thing.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »
Let's notice that RM2 has a note about how a "GM prohibiting the casting of two spells in one round may also wish to prohibit the preparation of a second spell in the same round another is cast", probably to avoid the unequivalence of casting a Class I together with a Class III spells.

What I mean is: whilst being hasted,
* round I: cast a Class I spell and prepare a Class III spell → allowed and there are 35% activity left,
* round II: complete preparation of Class III spell and cast it → allowed and there are 35% activity left.

Now, try to do the reverse:
* round I: prepare a Class III spell → allowed and there are 20% activity left,
* round II: cast the Class III spell and cast a Class I spell → not allowed, even there's 125% activity left after the casting of the spell.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »
"Whilst being hasted" throws a lot of monkey-wrenches into the timing of spell-prep and casts.  I may look into this for the upcoming campaign.  The spell-casting-baddies will be outnumbered and will need a little gameplay edge to help their longevity.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »
While this doesn't address Haste, one could allow alchemists, with the "General" spells to create items that allow less prep time for spells. At one extreme would be letting a General I spell take off one round of prep - that's pretty cheap, and even a General II would be inexpensive, in relative terms. At the other extreme, one could say that since the ESF for casting 1 round short is 25, you need a General V spell to fully counter that - but you still have to make an ESF roll, and if you fail, the modifier on the fumble roll is still 3*25.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
While this doesn't address Haste, one could allow alchemists, with the "General" spells to create items that allow less prep time for spells.
Haste does that, as a Class II spell can be prepared and cast in the same round, and a Class III can have both its preparation rounds done in the same round to be cast the next round (and with 125% left to boot).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
While this doesn't address Haste, one could allow alchemists, with the "General" spells to create items that allow less prep time for spells.
Haste does that, as a Class II spell can be prepared and cast in the same round, and a Class III can have both its preparation rounds done in the same round to be cast the next round (and with 125% left to boot).
Sorry, maybe my wording wasn't clear. I was not considering questions of Haste and spell casting. I was merely looking at ways one could reduce preparation time. Allowing alchemists to make "accelerators" would be such an option.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.