Author Topic: Player looking for NOVA/DC group  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Player looking for NOVA/DC group
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
Hi.  I live in Ashburn, VA (just east of Leesburg) and I'm looking for a RM group to join (any version).  I can't play Saturday or Sunday evenings because of work, but any other day should work for me.  Thanks!

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Player looking for NOVA/DC group
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
     I am up for it. I live in the Alexandria, VA area just outisde the Beltway. I left a group that was meeting on Sundays (then Saturdays) in Maryland.

Raf

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
The Maryland group didn't work out?  Sorry to hear that.

Do you have any other players?  I know two others who recently moved up here and might still be looking for a group to join.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
     I know of one player in Woodbridge. He is definitely a veteran gamer.

Rules set can be an issue. I prefer RMFRP, but can handle RMSS or RM2. However, I do not like Companions at all. The group I left prefer to use characters, etc. from expansions.

I can run the game if desired. I have a setting fairly well worked out.  I do use Sea Law or War Law on occasion. When GM I spell out all "house rules" ahead of time. My setting would use RMFRP rules.

The second question is location.

Raf

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »
I?m a veteran gamer, too, but rusty on RM.  I played RM2 in the early 90's until my job took me to another state.  I?ve played other rpg?s since then (mostly GURPS and White Wolf), but I?ve always missed RM. 

I prefer someone else GM the game.  I?d like to run RM eventually, but since I haven?t played it in so long I?d like to play it again for a while before attempting to run it.  So if you wish to run, that works for me.  I don?t have a problem with whatever version you want to use, or with anything you wish to exclude.  I?ve been reading both RMFRP and RMC (I wasn?t sure which version I was going to end up playing), so I might get them a little confused.

The two people I know are the husband and son of a woman I work with.  They seem to play mostly D&D but are open to anything.  I briefly described the RM system, and the father said ?Oh, that sounds like Iron Crown.  I?ve played Iron Crown before.?  So he has at least some familiarity with the concepts.  I doubt his son is familiar with the system, but still he?s a veteran gamer.

As for location, I live about two minutes from my coworker and her family, so car pooling isn?t a problem if you want to play in Alexandria or Woodbridge.  I wouldn?t mind hosting, either, but it might be a little cramped here.  The coworker just moved into a condo with lots of room for gaming, and they expressed a willingness to host when I last spoke with them about it.  Or there?s always The Game Parlor, which is a more central a location, but probably less comfortable and more full of distractions than someone?s home, and I don?t know what scheduling a regular game there would involve.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
     I live in a condo with my sister, and have room for several at the table. The dining table has extensions and I can also pull in a table from the sun room. (I generally paint in the sun room.)

Time

I am an artist. My schedule is flexible. I will contact the other player and see if or when he can play.

Campaign

I am willing to run an RMFRP game. I will post additional information about house rules if I referee. My setting will be homebrew. I generally pregenerate a few characters for new players, but allow playersto make up their own if they already know the rules.  ;)

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:39:14 AM »
Shiny.  The next time I see my coworker (tomorrow at the earliest?I don?t know her schedule, but I don?t work today) I?ll talk to her about it.

I?d like to find out what the other players want to play before making my character.  When I do make my character, I?ll use the 660 option for temporary stat points if that?s okay with you. (And if you don?t like my character for some reason, I have no problem taking one of your pre-gens.)

Is there anything we need to know about your world that we should know about before considering what kind of character we want to play?

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
Is there anything we need to know about your world that we should know about before considering what kind of character we want to play?

Plenty. The group will be a collection of young nobles. There is a civil war going on in the only advanced society on the planet. A group of families is debating which side to take. Plenty of intrigue and some seafaring are involved.

The nobles are highmen or mixed men mariner. Other races are either servants (if human) or slaves (if not human) of the noble families.

The campaign is called Youngbloods for a reason. Twenty one years is considered the age of majority for men. Highmen start at age twenty, and should not take training packages. Mariners start at age sixteen, and should only take training packages with a total time of 48 months or less. Any adults would have a vote in the family decision, and would probably not be out adventuring...

Magic is very common, most citizens know one or two minor spells. Magic skills and spell lists are available for the suggested races. I will have a set of rules for magic rituals, not from any companion. Divination is more important, as I use it as the "detect magical traps" skill. Magic ritual is the "set and remove magical traps skill".

I am using the RMFRP rulebook as the "top of the food chain". I use it in favor of various versions of spell law when resolving rules disputes. For example, Magicians only have two everyman skills listed: Time Sense and Meditation. I add Divination as an everyman skill in this setting, as magicians are those most in touch with "reading magical fields".

Three magical skills are affected in availablilty. Illusionists are the only class with Spell Mastery as an everyman skill. Mentalists are the only class with Magic Ritual as everyman. This is in addition to Magicians having Divination as an everyman skill.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
     The player from Woodbridge is OUT. He only wants to play RM2, which I am tired of.

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
That's too bad.

I just spoke with my co-worker's husband.  He said he and his son are both still interested, but they both have new jobs and don't know their work schedules yet.  He did say that weekends will be bad for him, which doesn't conflict with me at all since I work the afternoon/evening shift on weekends.  He said he'll find out more about his schedule on Thursday, but I'll be out of town so I won't get to talk to him again until next week.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »
     I can handle weeknights, unless there is a good football game on. I am a Steelers fan.

Offline Xyskalla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »
Ack!

I'm originally from the Cleveland area :P

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
     It looks like I have two other players from another site.

What do you think of a biweekly game?

I am tentatively planning for Friday nights.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
Would 11 July be a suitable date to kick off a campaign?

Offline Charles

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • AIRBORNE!!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
Kind of an old topic.  Anyway I just recently moved the the NOVA Area.  South end of Alexandria.  I haven't gamed in many years am interested in scratching that itch. 

Hopefully I will hear from you.
Thanks
charles
"We will either find a way, or make one."
Hannibal

Offline dranthor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
I am also interested. Have GM'd all varietis but harp. Would love to get into a game, Hubby and I both play. I have my own world. WOuld be willing to travel to no va to play. live in fredericksburg, va.