Author Topic: Some artworks  (Read 22280 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Some artworks
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Please draw up jaiman in details.. i would donate some cash to that project.. what you say ICE guys!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
Please draw up jaiman in details.. i would donate some cash to that project.. what you say ICE guys!
I'm pleased you like it.
Could you by chance lead my eye to an image of Jaiman? What's been done so far?

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
And I take this opportunity to show the last project.
Enjoy!
HD version

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
It's a gorgeous style! Another fav of mine. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
A thread hijack question, "How many years do you think it will be before we are playing in a 3D environment or using advanced 3D equipment to let players really see a room/area?"
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
A thread hijack question, "How many years do you think it will be before we are playing in a 3D environment or using advanced 3D equipment to let players really see a room/area?"
MDC
Well I hope never!
The good part with imagination is that your can play the same game but envision events in a different way. With 3D environment, it will become a video game more than anything else, where there's no more room for imagination.
don't you think?

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
Just now seeing these - the art is Gorgeous, well done.
"How many years do you think it will be before we are playing in a 3D environment or using advanced 3D equipment to let players really see a room/area?"
We are already there. Tools get more advanced every day. I have to agree with Dain though:  A 3D environment implies an artist outside of your own head working laboriously to beforehand create what you see, and robbing your brain of the pleasure of visualizing that for yourself.
When the day comes where I can project what I see in my mind, well, OK that'll be a game changing.
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
 Yes I have seen the possible shift coming since the Occulas Rift and other devices get closer to public launch. I can see both sides of the argument and I agree with both, I also hope the any 3D environment would be able to be edited by the GM.

The main reason I ask was I thought "boy it would be cool if I could zoom into you artwork above and get a view from inside that castle courtyard. How much sun would there be in the courtyard during summer vs winter? How many people could fit in there?"
 I think you can see the advantages of such questions being able to be answered, but again I think that is a ways off as it would take some powerful software and computers to transform you picture above directly into a 3D Environment.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
You could already use 3D rendering software to do that. Zoom around in it, move or change the light sources, render from different angles. E.g. Daz Studio is free. But then you need 3D models of the structures, and if you want to actually construct those models it's quite a bit of work. I constantly want to do more of this, but the time requirement is not really justifiable in terms of what it adds to the game. Writing up material is more productive.

At some point of advancement, you're just playing a computer game that happens to have a human AI.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
MDC
Well I hope never!
The good part with imagination is that your can play the same game but envision events in a different way. With 3D environment, it will become a video game more than anything else, where there's no more room for imagination.
don't you think?

I tend to agree. Part of the fun of tabletop is creating that shared illusion and collaborating to bring something "to life." Once you take that part out, it's almost the GM marching the lab mice through his vision of the play. It also takes the narrative portion out, and since a good GM can use voice as part of the setting you're losing that as well.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
You could already use 3D rendering software to do that. Zoom around in it, move or change the light sources, render from different angles. E.g. Daz Studio is free. But then you need 3D models of the structures, and if you want to actually construct those models it's quite a bit of work.

Sketchup is also free, and VERY easy to use.

As an example, when discussing plans to build a new house in the place where the last one burned down last winter, I made it as easy as I could on the contractor. I did a 3D rendering of the house we wanted in Sketchup, went into Google Earth and grabbed imagery of the land, placed it in the proper position, added some trees from the 3D Warehouse (basically a HUGE collection of free Sketchup models), added a few "textures" (color patterns on surfaces), and took sceenshots to send to him to illustrate any points we were discussing.

A 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1920 sq. ft. house, on its proper footprint, with nearby trees that had to be chopped down or avoided, along with location of the well, the driveway, various outbuildings, etc..... maybe an hour and a half. Granted, I have been using it for a few years, and like anything else it gets faster and easier with practice, but still...

A castle is a huge and complex collection of structures, so that would take a while. But getting the sight lines right for the bar fight that's about to happen? You can build and furnish the local bar in under an hour, with practice.

Note: I SUCK CANAL WATER as an artist. Yes, it's *that* easy.

To be sure, it's probably not worth the trouble except in cases of:

1. Very simple structures, and/or
2. Places the party will return to over and over.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
I'm pleased you like it.
Could you by chance lead my eye to an image of Jaiman? What's been done so far?

Here are some maps of Jaiman at Terry's site, eidolonstudios.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
So I have been watching Scarecrow & Mrs King (while still a lot of fun, it doesn't age very well) and the maps they have in the "Agency" offices are the kind of maps I like; lots of color and raised (the mountains stick up higher than the plains, etc...). I would love some game maps like that. If I am not mistaken, they are old Rand McNally made maps, does anyone know for sure? These would be the maps that would be in classrooms across America (and possibly other countries) in the 80's.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
If I am not mistaken, they are old Rand McNally made maps, does anyone know for sure? These would be the maps that would be in classrooms across America (and possibly other countries) in the 80's.

I think Rand McNally stopped making them, but there are others you can purchase.  Here are a couple to get you started.  Just do a search for "3D relief maps" or "raised relief maps" and you should find enough to your hearts content.

http://www.metskers.com/23181/Raised-Relief-Maps.html

http://www.raised-relief-maps.com/

As far as having one made for a fictional world, I know of none.  Perhaps a 3D printer?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
Yeah, I found those, I was just hoping I could find a place where I could send in a fantasy world map (say.... Kulthea) and they could make a relief map of it. Wishful thinking.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
Yeah, I found those, I was just hoping I could find a place where I could send in a fantasy world map (say.... Kulthea) and they could make a relief map of it. Wishful thinking.

The internet is large and contains many unexpected things.

http://www.summitmaps.com/departments/custom-raised-relief-maps.aspx
Just $4000-6000 for 20-30" map. A bargain.  :o

http://www.howardmodels.com/Topography/index.html
You can order an unpainted map, with just the relief. Prices from $25-545 per square foot, minimum five square feet. Top price includes complex layout, painting, roads, walkways, and model buildings and trees.

You could also just print multiple copies of your map on thick paper or cardstock. Cut along contour lines with a craft knife. Glue layers on with spray glue. Not as cool, more work, save $1000's.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
I was afraid it would have those kinds of costs.... sigh.... why ain't I independently wealthy? Aaaarrggghhh!

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »
Hi,
There is the final version of the project. Hope you'll like it.
HD version:

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Again... just awesome!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
Hi guys,
This time, a different illustration. Hope you'll enjoy
You may have seen the initial sketch, here the final version ;)

HD Version