Author Topic: The cost to make an item  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The cost to make an item
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
I have tried to find out the cost of the following item:
An item that have the same properties as the Magic staff list, Staff Spell I (Spell nr. 3).

What would that cost? Is it correct that you don't need an SCSM when you cast the spell in the staff? Could the spell be stored in something small, like a wristband or a ring?

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: The cost to make an item
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »
Well I don't seem to own any book with either that Spell or Spell List in it. So sorry I can't help you!

But I would suggest taking a look in Treasure Companion since that book have pretty detailed rules on how to create an item and how much it will cost.

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Hmm, I have tried to understand the complex intructions for finding a price on an item in the Treasure Comp., but I don't really understand it.
I'm not sure if it should be allowed to use this spell in another item than a staff.
It might be another spell somewhere that allows someone to store a spell and cast them without an SCSM.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
Hmm, I have tried to understand the complex intructions for finding a price on an item in the Treasure Comp., but I don't really understand it.
I'm not sure if it should be allowed to use this spell in another item than a staff.
It might be another spell somewhere that allows someone to store a spell and cast them without an SCSM.

I am not at the RMSS Essence Comp right now but there is at least 1 thread in the achieves with my discussion about other weapons that I allow the list with.
 Cost? Very very expensive as it will have every spell on it. Or maybe it might be better to have some sort of spirit that can do that in an item. No matter what it might be considered an artifact by most people.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
I read some of the treads and did not think they fit what I had in mind. They where mostly about using the spell list on other weapons than a staff.

What if you have an item that is an artifact or intelligent, with the possibility of the spell nr. 3 on the staff list. I was thinking that you should go through some kind of ritual before it is attuned to you and then you invest some of your power into it. You would then have the same drawback that you have with a staff, -20 to SCSM without it.

Would you allow something like that?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
Why not just enchant an item that lets you cast Spell Store off the Spell Reins list? It's only a first level spell, so it'd be fairly cheap.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
Why not just enchant an item that lets you cast Spell Store off the Spell Reins list? It's only a first level spell, so it'd be fairly cheap.
Well, I'm thinking that then you would cast the spell on yourself, so you would not be able to cast any other spell as long as it is stored. Also then you would have to cast it as an instantaneous spell, so you would still have a SCSM.
The tought behind the item is making overcasting easier  ::)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
I have tried to find out the cost of the following item:
An item that have the same properties as the Magic staff list, Staff Spell I (Spell nr. 3).

Basically, you'll have to research a new spell to do that, since Staff Spell only lets a user store spell specifically in his personal staff. So you'll have to create a new version of the spell (probably higher in level) that let you store the spell in any item. Then you'll haven to imbed the spell into the object and make the power constant.
Hmm... sounds pretty expensive and time-consuming!
For a cheaper and simpler alternative, you could simply create a daily item of Staff Spell I (but then you'll still need a personal staff to store your spell into).

Is it correct that you don't need an SCSM when you cast the spell in the staff?

No, you'll still have to cast the spell normally to store it in the staff. Actually, you'll have to cast it within one minute (6 rounds) after casting Spell Staff I. Later, you'll be able to "release" the spell without casting it again.
Spell Staff is already broken as it is, no need of making it even more powerful  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
Well, I'm thinking that then you would cast the spell on yourself, so you would not be able to cast any other spell as long as it is stored. Also then you would have to cast it as an instantaneous spell, so you would still have a SCSM.
The tought behind the item is making overcasting easier  ::)

Note that spell store works just like Spell Staff (the only difference is that spell staff lets you cast others spell when you have a spell stored): you have to cast the spell normally within one minute after casting spell store. Then you'll be able to release the spell as an istant (= using just 10% of action), without having to make a SCSM again.

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
Note that spell store works just like Spell Staff (the only difference is that spell staff lets you cast others spell when you have a spell stored): you have to cast the spell normally within one minute after casting spell store. Then you'll be able to release the spell as an istant (= using just 10% of action), without having to make a SCSM again.
Are you sure about this? If so, we have used spell store quite wrong... The wording for the spell is "The stored spell may then be cast as en instantaneous spell." So we figured that when you released the spell, you should make a new SCSM, but use the modifiers like it was an inst. spell.

This changes thing  ;D Then I don't need the spell staff spell...
Then i need an item that gives me a constant Bypass spell stored from the Wizards Spell Coordination List  :P

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:31:27 PM »
BTW as a house rule I do not allow overcasting for spell stored items.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
I would still require a SCSM if the caster did not qualify for automatic casting at the time a Spell Stored spell was cast. Also, you still have the normal 2% failure. It allows you to cast the spell as if it was an instantaneous spell; there's nothing about circumventing other casting restrictions.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
Are you sure about this? If so, we have used spell store quite wrong... The wording for the spell is "The stored spell may then be cast as en instantaneous spell." So we figured that when you released the spell, you should make a new SCSM, but use the modifiers like it was an inst. spell.

Well I have always handled Spell Store as you cast the spell normally when you Store it with a SCSM if needed. Then you just release it (as a 10% action like with an Instant casting) without any roll at all since you have already made the necessary rolls ahead of time when you stored it.
It's one of the reasons why I think Spell Store is useful. Don't really see the usefulness of Spell Store otherwise except making the spell Instant. But what if you wanted to store a spell that is already Instant?

Either way. My interpretation gives a spellcaster the ability to put in the maximum effort to minimize the penalties of SCSM since you do it ahead of time and not in a tense situation.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »
Storing an instant spell is not advantageous, no. But if you want to have a combat spell ready to go fast, Spell Store is very handy. It's only a first level spell (or second level on Rune Mastery), however, and even as written it is a pretty powerful one. I'd make a "release later" instead of "cast later" version considerably higher in level.

Even if you want to overcast, you can spend extra time when storing and then have the advantage of fast-casting it later as if it were an Instantaneous spell.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:28:30 AM by rdanhenry »

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 02:17:11 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.
We will have to discuss how to interpret the store spell in our group, but I think the best way is to cast a new SCSM when you cast the spell. I think rdanhenry is correct when he says that a release version should be a higher level spell.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 04:46:51 AM »

Well, that's an interesting point of view (and would make the magic staff spell list much more balanced!). I'll open a new thread to see if we can get an official interpretation, or at least see what's the more common!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
  I think that would be a good addition to the list. Ability to store spells cast with SCSM of a specific penalty. But I think I would keep the 1 min limit no matter what and no matter what not allow any method to extend the 1 min time limit.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.