Author Topic: SM:P VM Q's 052811  (Read 5591 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM:P VM Q's 052811
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:58:25 AM »
Some questions about construction of starships using SM:P VM:

1) On special materials for hull construction, what is the correct answer below:
 a) Can you select one of the two types of special alloy options but not the other?
 b) Can you select both alloy options with a max number of 5 picks?
 c) Can you select both alloy options to a max of 5 picks each?

2) How would you price out amphibious or water resistant hull for non marine based craft? ie I want to make my starship be able to float and not have problems afterward.

THX
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM:P VM Q's 052811
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
Hmm no remarks yet?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »
I assume spacecraft can float, at least at the privateers level of technology.  Unless they are cramped, of course.  I'm drawing a blank on what you are referring to in the first question and can't come up with an answer off the top of my head.  Reply to this so I have a notification e-mail to remind me to look at my books.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
I assume spacecraft can float, at least at the privateers level of technology.  Unless they are cramped, of course.  I'm drawing a blank on what you are referring to in the first question and can't come up with an answer off the top of my head.  Reply to this so I have a notification e-mail to remind me to look at my books.

Thanks Defendi;
 The first question has arose as I am testing a program for ship construction and the creator had option 1 for the program; ie you can select superior alloy increased DB or superior alloy reduced acceleration % but not both.
 When I have been creating ships from scratch and from my Excel sheet helper (just a math helper no data) I have been selecting both options when constructing some ships.

The flotation comment came from watching Cowboy BeBop and their fishing vessel starship.

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Evening MarkC,

SM:P VM p. 98 Select Hull (3) Superior Alloy

It’s possible to use superior alloys to increase the strength of the hull and superstructure. If a superior alloy is purchased, it can either increase the vehicle’s Defensive Bonus or increase the minimum tonnage for the material (See Hull Reinforcement for Acceleration Table (@#$) for the maximum tonnage per CAT).

Effect                                             Superior Alloy Cost Multiplier
+5 DB or +10% to hull maximum ................. 2.0
+10 DB or +20% to hull maximum ............... 4.0
+15 DB or +30% to hull maximum ............... 8.0
+20 DB or +40% to hull maximum ............. 16.0
+25 DB or +50% to hull maximum ............. 32.0

My understanding is that I can either increase DB or increase the minimum tonnage for the hull reinforcement per the Hull Reinforcement For Acceleration Chart on p. 99.

The above step has been slightly modified from SM2 Star Strike 9.2 Step 3 p. 52.

All CAT hulls may be constructed of superior alloys, as opposed to the standards above. Superior alloys, when purchased, will have one of two effects. The will either increase the DB of the vessel OR decrease the volume occupied by the hull.

IIRC, before I knew about SM:P, I asked about the Superior Alloy Note on p. 52 that showed both DB and Hull Volume decrease at the same time. The answer came back the I could use one or the other but not both at the same time.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Evening MarkC,

SM:P VM p. 98 Select Hull (3) Superior Alloy

It’s possible to use superior alloys to increase the strength of the hull and superstructure. If a superior alloy is purchased, it can either increase the vehicle’s Defensive Bonus or increase the minimum tonnage for the material (See Hull Reinforcement for Acceleration Table (@#$) for the maximum tonnage per CAT).

Effect                                             Superior Alloy Cost Multiplier
+5 DB or +10% to hull maximum ................. 2.0
+10 DB or +20% to hull maximum ............... 4.0
+15 DB or +30% to hull maximum ............... 8.0
+20 DB or +40% to hull maximum ............. 16.0
+25 DB or +50% to hull maximum ............. 32.0

My understanding is that I can either increase DB or increase the minimum tonnage for the hull reinforcement per the Hull Reinforcement For Acceleration Chart on p. 99.

The above step has been slightly modified from SM2 Star Strike 9.2 Step 3 p. 52.

All CAT hulls may be constructed of superior alloys, as opposed to the standards above. Superior alloys, when purchased, will have one of two effects. The will either increase the DB of the vessel OR decrease the volume occupied by the hull.

IIRC, before I knew about SM:P, I asked about the Superior Alloy Note on p. 52 that showed both DB and Hull Volume decrease at the same time. The answer came back the I could use one or the other but not both at the same time.

Thanks very much. It seems I fell into the trap the same as someone else did as I have created vessels that had both options maxed out in the same craft.

Now I wonder if you can have a total alloy modifier of 32 such as x16 for one option and x16 for another option ie +20 DB and -40% or if you can have a total of 5 picks from the two options on the same craft.

I can also see why you could have one or the other or a partial set of the two also though.

IMHO I like having the option to pick five of the two options for a craft. But then again I liked the option to max out both of them for a craft also. As they say it is only money and it does not do much good to you if you are dead. But then again you have to find someone to loan you all the money in the first place for starcraft construction.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:58 PM »
2) How would you price out amphibious or water resistant hull for non marine based craft? ie I want to make my starship be able to float and not have problems afterward.

My 2 credits is that a starship should be able to float just like any surface ship. The starship hull is sealed to prevent internal atmosphere and fluids for leaking into space, which should prevent water from leaking into the hull. Bill Baldwin wrote a series called the Helmsman back in 1985 the starships land and take off from liquid surfaces. David Drake's RCN (Royal Cinnabar Navy with Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy leading the fight) series also has the ships landing on water.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
Thanks very much. It seems I fell into the trap the same as someone else did as I have created vessels that had both options maxed out in the same craft.

Now I wonder if you can have a total alloy modifier of 32 such as x16 for one option and x16 for another option ie +20 DB and -40% or if you can have a total of 5 picks from the two options on the same craft.

I can also see why you could have one or the other or a partial set of the two also though.

IMHO I like having the option to pick five of the two options for a craft. But then again I liked the option to max out both of them for a craft also. As they say it is only money and it does not do much good to you if you are dead. But then again you have to find someone to loan you all the money in the first place for starcraft construction.

No problem MarkC, the least I can do with all the help you have provided me. Personally I'd like to have the option to select both, which is what the SM2 Note on p. 52 showed.

Thus, a Crysteel Double hull which was +5 to DB and -40% from hull volume would have a total Cost Multiplier of 136 (8.5 [Crysteel Double hull] x 2.0 [+5 DB] x 8.0 [Hull Volume])

In the case of the Superior alloy rule I went with, what I felt was the literal meaning not to mention the logical statement of either/or.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »
  I my self was also thinking of allowing superior ally to reduce the base hull volume % by some amount in addition to the G rating stress superior ally reduction. But that would be a house rule unless others took up arms and demanded it for their game.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 01:59:43 AM »
Okay.  I was able to look over the rules.  Officially, it's either or.  I don't see an actual problem with splitting it out with a maximum of five picks however.  I think that's a perfectly balanced house rule.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:56:59 AM »
And another question.

Can it purchased separately to do both?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:04:24 AM »
No.  The ideas are sort of mutually exclusive.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:17 AM »
And why not?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
Morning arakish and Defendi,

And another question.

rmfr

And why not?

rmfr

In the real world an alloy is created by mixing different percentages of materials during the manufacturing process. SM: P special alloys, at least in my mind and as written currently in the construction rules, use different mixed materials to provide enhanced DB or better hull acceleration reinforcement.

If I'm understanding the rule modification proposed by MarkC correctly the CAT can be mixed to provide both DB and acceleration reinforcement at the same time. Which is how the Note example in SM2 Superior Alloy suggested could be done except for the either/or requirement in the main rules.

To me the question
seems to mean creating a DB Alloy, then a Hull acceleration reinforcement Alloy, and combining them together somehow. If I got the question right then I have two separate alloys laminated together instead of a single alloy combined at the molecular level. In the real world the laminated alloy is weaker than the single mixed alloy. Also the laminated alloy is probably thicker and heavier than the mixed alloy. Of course I could be totally out in a field somewhere;-).

Tom R
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
Defemdi and Thom R;
 Thanks for the info and help and it is nice to know that I have been doing ti wrong for a time.  ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
MarkC you are not wrong you just have a different perspective of reality. Also note that Defendi likes the idea as a house rule. Who knows this might make the next revision as a supplemental rule.

Cheers ;-)
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
 As to amphibious I am not as worried about water leaking in as I am about stuff getting wet on the outside such as the drives ... then again if stuff inside gets wet inside that can be bad also.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Evening MarkC,

If a drive unit can operate in vacuum and provide propulsion in an atmosphere then I would guess liquid like water wouldn't be a problem. Of course a plot device could be that due to age, a manufacturing flaw, damage, or anything the GM can think of could cause a failure. I think that Chris Bunch in the Last Legion series allowed starships to operate on the water without any problems. Okay, being hit with ordnance did have some negative consequences. I also think that the ships could submerge as well, guess I'll have to read the books again.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
Morning arakish and Defendi,

And another question.

rmfr

And why not?

rmfr

In the real world an alloy is created by mixing different percentages of materials during the manufacturing process. SM: P special alloys, at least in my mind and as written currently in the construction rules, use different mixed materials to provide enhanced DB or better hull acceleration reinforcement.

If I'm understanding the rule modification proposed by MarkC correctly the CAT can be mixed to provide both DB and acceleration reinforcement at the same time. Which is how the Note example in SM2 Superior Alloy suggested could be done except for the either/or requirement in the main rules.

To me the question
seems to mean creating a DB Alloy, then a Hull acceleration reinforcement Alloy, and combining them together somehow. If I got the question right then I have two separate alloys laminated together instead of a single alloy combined at the molecular level. In the real world the laminated alloy is weaker than the single mixed alloy. Also the laminated alloy is probably thicker and heavier than the mixed alloy. Of course I could be totally out in a field somewhere;-).

Tom R

Sorry.  In actuality, I was only asking questions others may want answered.  However, laminated materials have been proven to be much stronger than single layer materials.

To me the question
seems to mean creating a DB Alloy,

Actually, this was in reference to lamination technologies.

A very good example exists in the woods (I am a carpenter hobbyist).  Plyboard, more commonly known as plywood sheets, is much stronger than a single sheet of wood of the same dimensions of the same type of wood.  A single plyboard sheet 4' x 8' x 0.5" will support much more weight than a board of a single piece of wood the same size.  This is why plyboard is used to make roofs on a house.  Then again, the only wood you will ever be able to make a single sheet that is 4' x 8' x 0.5" in size is redwood or sequoia.  This is the reason why plyboard is manufactured.

The same holds true for metals, ceramics, and metaliceramic alloys.  Several sheets laminated together will resist more force and heat and energy than a sheet of a single material of the same thickness.  This makes one wonder why our ships and tanks are not constructed from laminated materials.  Then again, they are.  Our tanks have steel plate armor as the base.  On top of this is ceramic alloys, then on top of that is reactive armor.  Our naval ships have double and triple hulls.  The more layers means less chance of a single force or energy being able to punch through.

Thus, my question stands.  Why couldn't they be purchased separately in laminated layers?

Then again, as said, this is a house rule.  In my house rules, such things can be purchased multiple times, separately, and then laminated into a single system.  Of course, this can consume a huge amount of mass and volume of the vessel, but if the person is willing to sacrifice other systems...

Even my father, God Rest His Soul, who had doctorates in both Mechanical and Construction Engineering said it was feasible.  Notice I said that he said it was feasible.  He earned his doctorates in 1958 (Mechanical) and 1963 (Construction).  He also told me that it was not possible in our current engineering possibilities (in 1973).

However, he also said, "But who is to say what we may be able to do in the next 50 years.  Look at the engineering we have been able to overcome in just time when I joined the USAF (in 1953) and since landing men on the moon."  And that was said back in 1978.

Thus, I say, think about it.  Why could we not engineer interstellar vessels that are capable of having a laminated superior set of alloys that can both withstand acceleration and decreasing the chances of hull penetration due to combat activities?

Think about it.  If had not been for the double hull system (in a sense lamination) of the USS Cole, that destroyer would have normally sunk.  Especially if it was constructed using World War Two technology instead of the construction technology we learned while in the Vietnam War.  The USS Cole would possibly even broke in half while sinking.

I do not care what anyone else says, laminated systems will always be much stronger than single layer systems.  If you think different, then prove me wrong.

Evening MarkC,

If a drive unit can operate in vacuum and provide propulsion in an atmosphere then I would guess liquid like water wouldn't be a problem. Of course a plot device could be that due to age, a manufacturing flaw, damage, or anything the GM can think of could cause a failure. I think that Chris Bunch in the Last Legion series allowed starships to operate on the water without any problems. Okay, being hit with ordnance did have some negative consequences. I also think that the ships could submerge as well, guess I'll have to read the books again.

Tom R

Sorry, but drive units that operate in space cannot operate in an atmosphere.  The two mediums are too different in their densities.  Space has literally no density.  Compared to space, an atmosphere is infinitely denser.  That is why you have the phenomena known as Re-entry.  Compared to the atmosphere, liquid water is infinitely denser.  That is why you can free fall from 25,000 feet and hit water with almost the same impact force as hitting ground.  Provided there is no parachute used.

Here is a question for you.  Can a ship also move across the land?  No.  Because the land is so much denser than water the propellor will not work.

Or am I getting this wrong?  It seems to me that you are saying that a single drive system could operate in space, an atmosphere, and underwater?  If so, then that would be impossible.  In this case, the drive systems are mutually exclusive and must be purchased separately.  Unless it is some form of hyper-gravitic drive system.

rmfr

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
 For my drives in water question it was in reference to Reactionless Drives when landing in water and the effect water would have on any exterior drive systems.

I do not think that todays Space Shuttle (or should I say yesterdays) should operate well in the water or if it was partially submerged. Which is also why the question formed in my mind.
 Maybe the a TL should just allow for a crafts drives to not be affected by submerging. So lets say TL 20 craft do not have to buy amphibious and their drive systems are not affected by submerging in water or other fluids. But under TL 20 you should buy amphibious like you would atmospheric entry and when bought also assume it protects drive parts that can be damaged otherwise.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.