Author Topic: SM:P VM Q's 052811  (Read 5590 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM:P VM Q's 052811
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
Thanks MarkC for 1) confirming the CAT levels in SM: P and SM2 and 2) digging for the source of the +50 DB for CAT 30 hulls.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
 The quote I have for Ordium II Double Hull which provides a DB bonus of +25 is from Armored Reserves page 62 under General Notes. It does not have any info about doubleing hits bit I do not think that it does based on the info given, Mass= 90,000 armor belt +25 so 90,000x1.25= 112500, which is the value in the book for Concussion Hits on page 93 under the Hull Section.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
Thanks MarkC for looking up the information. Unless there is a similar official SM: P supplemental rule or the Powers That Be state otherwise the Ordium II Double Hull +25 DB and arakish's 2x to hit points are house rules.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »
 I do not know of a SM:P rule that states XXX double hull provides +25 DB but it is an official SM2 rule.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
Morning MarkC,

SM: P is not, at least from the material I have, backward compatible with the official SM2 construction rules, which is why I consider them as house rules. Here are some examples:

SM: P has changed the CAT class notation and changed the names of the last two materials from those in SM2.

SM2 Missile Launchers have a Mark Number that is clearly defined, but is not as used in the same manner in SM: P, at least that is what I got, among other things, from the discussion held between March 22 - 25, 2011.

Payload Pallets in SM: P VM are only for delivering torpedoes while SM2 has 3 types of torpedoes, 3 types of mines, 5 explosive warhead missile packs, and 4 types of pods.

Calculating power, crew, control area, and several other items are different between SM2 and SM2.

The Translight FTL drive of SM2 is not a valid choice in SM: P per VM p. 105.

Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
  Just to be sure I understand you the rules from SM2 are house rules as concerned in SM:P? If so then yes I agree with you as some of them were tied to the universe.

I also think you could wedge the old SM2 rules for drives in the SM:P system as well as the mines, torps, etc. The only problem that I see not being able to adjust is the rules for missiles as they are very different in scope.

MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
You could probably use the payload pallet stuff from SM2.  I dropped them because I didn't think anyone would use them enough to spend page count on them.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
Hello MarkC,

Yes, your understanding is correct that I feel SM2 construction rules when imported into SM: P are a form of house rules.

I need to make a correction or at least state more clearly about the SM2 Translight Drive as the item relates to SM: P.

The SM2 Translight drive was ported into SM: P as the Hyperdrive. A SM2 Translight drive volume con be directly ported into SM: P as a TL 25 Hyperdrive. Unfortunately, the base cost is different SM2 = 100k and SM: P = 110k.

Not a big issue except for the opening text on SM: P VM p. 105

SELECT FTL DRIVE (7)
There are several possible faster than light drives that might be used in Spacemaster. Depending on the universe, one or more of these methods might be possible. For instance, in the Privateers universe, only the flux drive and the quantum drive are valid choices.

The SM2 Translight Drive/SM: P Hyperdrive is not valid in the Privateers universe and using the drive is basically a house rule.
Tom R

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
Afternoon Defendi,

Thank-you for the reply and the probability of importing the payload pallets from SM2 into SM: P.

While working on the SM: P payload pallet rule I tried my hand at adding the SM2 payload pallets to Step 10. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how the SM2 torps relate to the ones in SM: P. I've put the addition of mines, explosive warhead missiles, and pods on the back burner to continue working my way through the design sequence.

Tom R
Tom R

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
Evening arakish,

Could you please cite the source that was used to conclude that a double hull has double the hit points?

This is a house rule.  I looked it up, and it is actually not a doubling of hits.  It is a doubling of the HATs reduction of critical hull penetrations.  Sorry for the confusion.  I knew it was a double something.

Haven't done much ship construction since we use the standard ship types we already constructed.

Hello arakish,

Answering MarkC's reply  my brain finally noted that in the reply to Defendi on superior alloys the material code was CAT XXX.

SM: P CAT material codes go from XI to XX, while SM2 codes are the CAT 21 (XXI) to CAT 30 (XXX).

Is the CAT XXX really CAT XX?

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any mention of doubling hit points for a double hull of the best CAT material in either SM: P or SM: 2.

I also seem to have a different idea of double hull construction and hit points.

To me a double hull is a modified single hull that splits the designs total mass between outer and inner plating.

Here is my understanding of hit points per SM: P VM p.100. a design's base hit points is equal to the mass of the construct regardless of the CAT Material code used. A 100-ton construct using a single, reinforced, or double hull CAT has a base hit points of 100. To increase the hit points you need to add an armor belt, which also increases the DB per SM: P VM p. 99. The maximum DB and hit points the 100-ton design can have is +25 DB and an additional 25 hit points for a total of 125 hit points regardless of CAT type.

In the reply to Defendi

We have always allowed persons to apply a double hull, even HAT XXX can be doubled up if the person is willing to spend for the mass and volume.  We just rule that this will double the ship's hits.  But this is usually only done for the true battlewagons such as Monitor Battleships, etc, since their maneuverability simply makes them sitting targets.  Thus, they need the extra armoring to withstand the extra attention.

I'm getting the impression from the above quote that a double hull is two complete hulls joined together which would double the hit points by doubling the mass of the design. Of course I'm probably totally lost in space in my understanding. ;-)

Tom R

First, I need to point out that although our VCG (vehicle construction guidelines) system is very similar to those in the SMPVM, it is slightly different.  Our system incorporates CAF (construction armor framing) and HAT (hull armor type).  The CAF is the ship's framework on which everything else is built.  The HAT is the protective "skin" of the ship.  Both of these systems are purchased separately in respect to mass and volume.  However, both are required to even have a ship.  Can't have a ship without a hull.  Can't have a hull without a framework to build it on.

Also, I have no idea what CAT stands for in the new SMP system.  Unless it is the same as in the original SM system: Construction Armor Type.

In our system, HATs run from XXI to XXXV, or if arabic numerals are preferred, 21 to 35.  We decided on this so as to differentiate ship armors from personnel armors.  Although one could say "CAT 18", we sometimes just say the number.  Thus, 28 cannot be confused with 18 as in the current SMP system (18 could mean CAT 18 or AT 18).

In our system, we have no Superior Alloying, since such techniques are automatically incorporated into the HATs as additional cost factors which allows one to apply a DB, additional hits, and critical hull penetration reduction (CHPR).  In other words, if you want just one, you can apply only a DB, only additional hits, or only CHPR.  But if you want all three and have the money, you can purchase them.  Also, we call this Superior Construction Techniques instead of Superior Alloying.

Also, we do not have such things as CAT XVIII = doubled up CAT XIV.  However, there are some "reinforced" versions.  In other words, each HAT is a single hull.  And each HAT, if mass and volume are paid for, can be doubled, tripled, etc.  However, even TIWs rarely more than double their hulls, and usually only with the big boys (heavy cruisers, dreadnoughts, battleships, etc.).

Thus, I apologize for any confusion.

Sorry.

Furthermore, I will pull the HAT table data out and post it here in a separate topic.  That way everyone can use it, trash it, or offer addtional ideas.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 10:25:10 PM »
Evening arakish,

Thanks for the clarification that the construction system being discussed is different from the one I'm using. For a minute there I thought I was more confused than normal.

Yes, SM: P CAT is the same as in SM2. In fact many of the systems use the same naming conventions, however the main difference is that one or more of the formulas are different.

The system you are using sounds very interesting, hopefully I'll be able to look at the system after I'm done with SM: P VM.

Tom R
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:30:11 PM by snrdg051306 »
Tom R