Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 281784 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »
Is it possible to vote for "all of the above"?

Seriously, I've really been looking forward to Wuliris. I'd like to see you eventually finish off regional books for all of Jaiman and Emer in as much detail as you've done for Xa'ar and Emer III.

That said, quality adventures wouldn't ever be received poorly.

Wuliris, with its Frost Elves and Snow Wolves and Zor ruins and Taranian tech is still definitely in progress. I just got a little sidetracked... speaking of which... adventures for Haalkitaine? I know I need to do at least a basic sewers and catacombs map, though there is a description of Randae sneaking through the sewers, with an explanation of their layout in Loremaster Legacy (yes it can also be a useful GM campaign aid!)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline geh4th

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
Re: Haalkitaine...I'd definitely like to see some sort of significant catacombs adventure/quest. The city is what, 11,200 years old? Imagine the incredible history buried beneath it.

That's something that I think gets lost in translation. This is possibly the oldest (human, at least) constantly-inhabited city on the planet. Initially founded c.1600 Second Era, and while it's been partially (or entirely?) destroyed at times, a city of the same name has existed at the same location for nearly 12 millenia. That's simply inconceivable by Terran standards.

Something about this particular location seems almost mystical, considering the longevity of not only the city of Haalkitaine but also the people and nation of Rhakhaan (beyond the influence of the Crowns, considering that we have ample evidence that crown-kingdoms can and did fail, some spectactularly). Present day European nations pride themselves on having 1,000 to 1,500+ year histories - how would the people of Rhakhaan regard their own history?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:59 AM »
I'm curious why Emer II is being revised before Emer I. The revisions of those (and other modules) are important for the setting as a whole for attracting new people, but less appealing for existing ones.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #323 on: February 23, 2014, 02:02:35 AM »
I'm curious why Emer II is being revised before Emer I. The revisions of those (and other modules) are important for the setting as a whole for attracting new people, but less appealing for existing ones.

I guess the choice of Emer II was somewhat arbitrary on my part. I thought it needed a major overhaul, and also is Emer III adjacent. I am also working on Emer I, and in some ways it is closer to being ready. I guess I am obsessed with getting everything as 'right' as possible, and 'in a world' (queue that movie preview voice over guy, Don LaFontaine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjWKE-IJ4R8) that has become so complex, I am maybe tweaking everything a lot. Hence this little diversion. I give myself till the end of Feb to finish that, then back to Wuliris/etc.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #324 on: February 23, 2014, 02:09:35 AM »
Present day European nations pride themselves on having 1,000 to 1,500+ year histories - how would the people of Rhakhaan regard their own history?
Considering they are along side the immortal elves, whose history (and many individual lives) stretches back even further, probably not all that highly.

Beneath Haalkitaine, could be very cool.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
Present day European nations pride themselves on having 1,000 to 1,500+ year histories - how would the people of Rhakhaan regard their own history?
Considering they are along side the immortal elves, whose history (and many individual lives) stretches back even further, probably not all that highly.

Beneath Haalkitaine, could be very cool.

True, there are places in Kulthea which are staggeringly old. And Haalkitaine is one of them, but remember that the Haalkitaine today is nothing like what it was long ago. Like ancient places here, most of it is rebuilt or buried. And the Flows (and Crowns) do preserve; the realms that fell abandoned the crowns or lost them.

That said, yes I was criticized for not detailing the sewers and catacombs of Haalkitaine so that won't happen this time, and there will be at least a few adventures.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #326 on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
BTW, my adventure module idea, 'Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn' centers around a town in Rhakhaan next to an ancient Earthwarden bridge with mystical warding and portal powers. Not to mention the town is at a crossroads, next to a moor, and populated by all number of questionable people. I think you might like it.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #327 on: February 23, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
BTW, my adventure module idea, 'Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn' centers around a town in Rhakhaan next to an ancient Earthwarden bridge with mystical warding and portal powers. Not to mention the town is at a crossroads, next to a moor, and populated by all number of questionable people. I think you might like it.
Could you do one favor for me: Put a dang wall around the town and don't have the swamp and/or forest grow right up and into the town, please.

I really do not understand the concept that a settlement would not have basic defensive features in a fantasy world filled with all manner of ickiness. Not to mention, that half of the villages are not only unwalled/defended, but they are comprised of a bunch of houses like on The Little House on the Prairie and have the woods growing right up and into them! Even our world's Middle-Aged villages did not have that, for the simple fact that the land needed to be cleared for crops. But to have woodlands go through the village is just asking to be eaten while you sleep, or do anything at any time of day. The only time I could see the "typical" unwalled/defended village is if it is within the most central part of a civilized region, which probably means they see 2-3 guard sweeps per day, minimum of 1, but multiple per week, and they are not far from a much larger settlement with all sorts of high-level back up. (Of course, another reason would be it is inhabited by extremely high-level & powerful individuals, so if you are traveling in the wildlands and happen upon a small village, unwalled, seeming very idyllic, be afraid and treat everyone there with great respect because they are powerful enough to deal with all the monsters that would come around - until they learned better, of course - just about every day. Can you say Shadowdale?)

Sorry, but that has become a serious pet-peeve of mine. Sure the woods look all cool drawn on the map, and it gives them a reason to use "Forest Green", but it makes absolutely no practical sense whatsoever from a "I want to live past 3" sense.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
Could you do one favor for me: Put a dang wall around the town and don't have the swamp and/or forest grow right up and into the town, please.

I really do not understand the concept that a settlement would not have basic defensive features in a fantasy world filled with all manner of ickiness. Not to mention, that half of the villages are not only unwalled/defended, but they are comprised of a bunch of houses like on The Little House on the Prairie and have the woods growing right up and into them! Even our world's Middle-Aged villages did not have that, for the simple fact that the land needed to be cleared for crops. But to have woodlands go through the village is just asking to be eaten while you sleep, or do anything at any time of day. The only time I could see the "typical" unwalled/defended village is if it is within the most central part of a civilized region, which probably means they see 2-3 guard sweeps per day, minimum of 1, but multiple per week, and they are not far from a much larger settlement with all sorts of high-level back up. (Of course, another reason would be it is inhabited by extremely high-level & powerful individuals, so if you are traveling in the wildlands and happen upon a small village, unwalled, seeming very idyllic, be afraid and treat everyone there with great respect because they are powerful enough to deal with all the monsters that would come around - until they learned better, of course - just about every day. Can you say Shadowdale?)

Sorry, but that has become a serious pet-peeve of mine. Sure the woods look all cool drawn on the map, and it gives them a reason to use "Forest Green", but it makes absolutely no practical sense whatsoever from a "I want to live past 3" sense.

LOL!!!   :D   I had to go back to Emer III to make sure, but the village of Misty Vale does indeed have a wall, and no pretty trees nearby. Whew!  And yes, Gryphonburgh will be a 'practical' town. The moor does not butt up right against the town, but it's just south of the highway, and in any case, to have a crossroads of two major paved roads and a major river all meeting up, along with the last bridge west of the capital, you'd live there too.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2014, 03:11:17 AM »
I'm drawing out Gryphonburgh now, but I have to moderate my coffee: a few cups and I get just shaky enough so that the structures are okay; too many more and I'm only good for doing the jagged trees and shrubs.

Also, I am keeping this low level! There is only one person above 10th level, and he is the drunk, expelled ex-Loremaster. (There is the Count also, but he doesn't really come in to the adventure play.) Most people are lower level, and the adventures focus on role playing, exploring and investigating.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Terry,
 You have found the secret. Strait lines in the am and messy jumble stuff after lunch and more coffee.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
LOL!!!   :D   I had to go back to Emer III to make sure, but the village of Misty Vale does indeed have a wall, and no pretty trees nearby. Whew!  And yes, Gryphonburgh will be a 'practical' town. The moor does not butt up right against the town, but it's just south of the highway, and in any case, to have a crossroads of two major paved roads and a major river all meeting up, along with the last bridge west of the capital, you'd live there too.
Thanks. Sorry to sound like a map freak, but I guess I am that - both in that I love maps (all sorts) and want them to make sense (more than I do, anyway  :o).

Thanks and keep up the great work; I'll keep buying.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »
Thanks. Sorry to sound like a map freak, but I guess I am that - both in that I love maps (all sorts) and want them to make sense (more than I do, anyway  :o).

Thanks and keep up the great work; I'll keep buying.

NP. If anything, I find myself being too practical in places where I should let my imagination run free, especially when designing important places in SW. I have a degree in architectural design, and my father was an engineer, who beat me down (he was a frustrated architect) every chance he got when I tried something impractical, so sometimes I wish my designs were more fanciful. Namar-Tol is my steampunk/quasi-agrarian paradise, like England at the beginning of the industrial revolution, but with few of the negatives.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2014, 04:31:36 AM »
Ever played Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim? Now those are societies that would have trouble surviving. Most minor settlements are completely undefended, built on roads so dangerous it's surprising anyone gets through, and often built within spitting range of monster-infested ruins.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
Ever played Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim? Now those are societies that would have trouble surviving. Most minor settlements are completely undefended, built on roads so dangerous it's surprising anyone gets through, and often built within spitting range of monster-infested ruins.
Yeah, in Skyrim I didn't even try to take on a single giant (and his mammoth, of course - they can't go anywhere without one of those) until I was at least 15th level. Up until then I just ran away. In more than a few places the giants were within a few moments* walk of a settlement.

*Meaning less than a minute real-time, probably an hour-or-two in game time. So real close.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »
Flipping back and forth between the Gryphon Inn layout and the adventure text. Ugh, writing adventures is hard!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #336 on: March 06, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
2 monitors or devices that can see the files at the same time, or even split screen is a huge help.

I know when I jumped way back when to my old 26" Sony Pro Monitor (cost me tons of $) it was worth every penny just to be able to do split screen. Now a days with monitors so cheap I would defiantly have 2-4 as the need arose.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zGNoKtAIU4

"I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper..."
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
How about a guide to the dwarven city of Ton-Bor at some point? There's almost nothing about dwarves in any of the existing stuff - a few references to Ton-Bor and a description of the Nomari. Elves, yes, but no dwarves.

I'd have problems personally not making it look like a dwemer city.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #339 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
Emer III is available in hardcopy now as well as PDF!

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125297/Shadow-World-Emer-III
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.