Author Topic: Kickstarter: Custom music, SFX, VO for Tabletop RPGS  (Read 2823 times)

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kickstarter: Custom music, SFX, VO for Tabletop RPGS
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:44:43 AM »
Not sure if anyone else does this, but our gaming group loves to use ambient audio while we play to set the mood.  And to my surprise I found an article on Geek Native http://www.geeknative.com/40454/the-realmsound-project-making-the-pitch-for-rpg-audio/ that mentioned a Kickstarter campaign http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/the-realmsound-project to create custom music, sound effects, and voice overs for Tabletop RPGers!  They even have some guy who did voice work on Diablo 3 working with them.

I'm backing this sucker at $75 to get the Soundboard and all audio they create as it's finished but you can get all the basic audio for a $15 pledge. I'm spreading the news cause I love it and they clearly need a boost to get to their funding goal.  Maybe some of you guys (or gals like
me) would find it useful.

Name: The Realmsound Project
By: The Orange County Gaming Group
Goal: $10,000
Ends: Tuesday, July 23, 3:23pm EDT
What: Professional Custom Music, Sound Effects, and Voice over for Tabletop RPG gamers
Pledges: $5 Wristband, $15 $2000 worth of their audio, $25 CD + All Previous,  $35 All Previous, $50 Soundboard + All Previous, $75 Get Audio as it's Created + All Previous, $100 Voting Rights for SFX + All Previous, $150 Thank You + All Previous, $250 Voting on Monster Sounds + All Previous, $500 Voting Rights on Racial Music + All Previous, $750 Voting Rights on New Language + All Previous, $1000 Use Your Character's Name in VO + All Previous, $1500 Create Own Custom Character Music + All Previous

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Kickstarter: Custom music, SFX, VO for Tabletop RPGS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.
I'll probably look at the $50 level since I don't need the stuff above that, and I think this would be a good add-on for tabletop and pbp gaming.  Just curious if I can use it concurrently with FG.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:49 AM »
More than happy to share :)

We haven't started using FG yet, but I'm hoping you'd be able to queue up the audio with the Sound Board and then stream it through? 

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:44:12 AM »
Woh, I noticed that Stefan Pokorny, founder of Dwarven Forge has backed this project and he is publicly trying to push their KS through DF and other forums, so I thought I'd share since I obviously love this project too. :D

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
I'll have to look into it.  We've always used heavier classic music.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:44:33 AM »
We use a lot of fantasy tunes and started a library of sound effects to go with.  It really does add to the overall feel of the experience :)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/moontribestudios/ambient-environments-soundtracks-for-rpg-settings is also interesting. Different style - more like soundtracks than sound effects.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »
Coincidentally I actually met the guys behind the Realmsound project yesterday at a meet up.  Didn't even know it was them till a Convo on Kickstarter Projects happened.  And now I'm going to start gaming with them next week here in the OC! :))

So my final shameless plug for them as a celebration. Got 24 hours left on their campaign! Let's rally the troops and reach their funding goals!  :)

Link:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/the-realmsound-project

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
Although the Realmsound project didn't make their goal the first time, they started again with a lower goal and this time have hit it (and possibly will hit the original goal now too). Ends October 8th.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/realmsound-project-20?ref=category
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:45:03 PM by Thom @ ICE »

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
I made your link an active hyperlink.... hope you don't mind.  :D
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »
Hey Guys,

Orange County Gaming Group (OCGG) is on it's last day of funding v2.0 of it's Kickstarter campaign to create custom music, sound effects, and voice overs for Tabletop Gamers, called the Realmsound Project 2.0. They're funded too!!  And working through their stretch goals.  :))  So I'm again trying to blast a message for these guys. 

Anyway, just reiterating the details that jdale also stated below.

Quote from their KS:
"Often using an OST from Lord of the Rings or other great movies just doesn’t quite set the particular setting that the GM is striving for. It’s not easy finding a sorrowful howl of an undead or the ground shaking thunder of a charging orc hoard. Trying to change your voice just a little bit or adding an accent to try to bring some life to those non-player characters gets tiring and falls a bit flat. Everything changes now! We are the Orange County Gaming Group and we are bringing tabletop gaming to the next level by composing a library of custom made, high quality music, voice overs, and sound effects, made by rockstar talent.  What we have sourced has been unbelievable and has transformed the way we game, but don’t take our word for it….."

Name: The Realmsound Project 2.0
URL: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/realmsound-project-20
By: The Orange County Gaming Group
Goal: $5,000 (FUNDED!)
Ends: October 8th, 12:57am EDT
What: Professional Custom Music, Sound Effects, and Voice over for Tabletop RPG gamers
Pledges: $5 Thank You, $15 Iron Pack: 9 SFX, $25 Steel Pack: 18 new SFX + All Previous, $30 Copper Pack: 4 Merchant Scripts and 6 Infernal Language VO scripts + All Previous, $40 Bronze Pack: 3 new VO scripts + All Previous, $50 Silver Pack: 4 Music tracks + All Previous, $60 Gold Pack: 2 New Music tracks + All Previous, $75 Platinum Pack: The Soundboard w/ SFX Stretch Goals 1 + All Previous, $90 Diamond Pack Early Bird: Music and FX Stretch Goals 1 + All Previous, $95 Mithral Early Bird: All Stretch Goals + Previous, $100 Adamantium Pack Early Bird: All Stretch Goals + All Previous, $250+ Party Member: Sponsor your own audio track + All Previous

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Another similar one is ending soon (3 days), from the Ambient Environments group (not Realmsound). It's for a Cthulhu soundtrack. But also it's a chance to get their other soundtracks if you didn't before. I am pretty pleased with the original set, have been using them...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/moontribestudios/cthulhu-rises-a-soundtrack-for-rpg-larp-and-table