Author Topic: Rolemaster for Dummies  (Read 9233 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Rolemaster for Dummies
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
Towns and cities and villages should have different vibes and offer different opportunities to the players.  Not every community will sell weapons or armor, some won't have herbs or potions, others may not have wagons or horses.

One of the biggest benefits I got from using Earth as my game map was being able to look up distribution of resources. The country that takes up most of the central Rockies of the US has lots of copper, gold and silver... but as much copper as the have available, they can't make decent bronze because they have no tin. Lots of zinc, so lots of brass... but no bronze except for "arsenic bronze." They trade for tin with the country to the west of them, which is mostly dwarves. The dwarves have just about everything you could ask for to make some truly awesome steel (chromium, vanadium, etc.), as in tool steel and such. So what does the country in the Rockies have to trade with them? Well it just so happens that in central Colorado is one of the only decent sources of metallurgical quality coal west of the Great Plains. The dwarves have lots of coal to use as fuel... but nothing at all to carbonize iron and make good steel. Therefore it's a given that there will either be a trade deal.... or a war.

Please understand, I'm not saying you should use Earth as your game map... but laying out where resources are (and just as important, where they are not) in many ways does more to define international relationships than anything else.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Yep, always thought RM needed a "Trade Law" book, a good supplementary to making characters in a commerce environment as opposed to your normal get the gold dungeon crawl etc.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
So, if you want a character with a little bit more depth but still aimed at a "starter" audience, what about 2-3 background tables included in the book? I think there were already some of those in a RM Companion (I can't check at the moment). People could pick one "background item" per table or roll dice. I was thinking of something like around 15 items per table.

The said items could be something like adjectives/personality traits (impatient, courageous, noble, etc.), or linked to a childhood event/situation (abandoned by relatives, has a (NPC) twin, has a fear of something, etc).

It doesn't need to cover every situation, only give a good idea of what elements could be added to a character background.

I don't think it should be bought with DP either as my intent is to give flavour, not any bonus/malus. It looks like talents and flaws, but without the advantages/drawbacks.

It has to work with RMU, so some of this is a non-starter until that's done and delivered.

That said, I was planning on including some of that stuff in the two starting sections (In the Beginning and Learning to Crawl). Part of stat allocation SHOULD take into account how you view your character and what you want to accomplish. The whole thing would take place in a notional "typical wilderness village" type setting.

It's always good to involve as many people as possible, but if this does move forward I would caution against casting that net TOO wide. I would think a free intro product should be available soon after (or timed to come out with) the final RMU stuff, and broad collaborations are by their nature slow. I for one wouldn't want to do the magic section...it doesn't interest me as much. Character creation and GM-type stuff is more my area.

GoF, locations of ores, cropland and the like was a major part of my world. I've got maps for trade routes, ore locations, major producers of grain, and so on. But that's not stuff for a free intro product...
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
GoF, locations of ores, cropland and the like was a major part of my world. I've got maps for trade routes, ore locations, major producers of grain, and so on. But that's not stuff for a free intro product...

True in one sense, not in another. The nuts and bolts of it are for GM Law or whatever label it eventually wears. But if the free intro product is aimed at both new players and new GMs, it should contain a few broad notes on how the maximum possible depth of the characters' personalities and backstories is limited by the depth of the setting in which they are being placed.

An idyllic, heavily forest high mountain environment sounds like a wonderful place to start a ranger character.... until you find out it's in the heart of the coal district, and most of the game is gone because of the people, the noise and the smoke. A ranger character starting there isn't impossible, but you can guarantee that his experience in the woods growing up was not quite the same as that of a stereotypical "ranger." Little details like that are where depth comes from, you're simply not going to achieve the depth without the details.

The new GM needs to know to have as much of his detail work thought out as he can (for the immediate adventuring area at least) before he starts generating characters if he wants those characters to be conceptually well-rounded. The new player needs to expect to hear the GM's "local details," and if he doesn't hear them, to know he should ask for them.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
 For me it comes in 3 parts; region, culture and social status with another division along gender lines.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
...if the free intro product is aimed at both new players and new GMs, it should contain a few broad notes on how...

...and a reference to how the issue is addressed in greater depth in (ICE product #_____). If it's going to be a free publication, you might as well make sure you can write off the production costs as advertising.

Of course, that puts the burden on ICE to make the thing referred to useful enough to justify luring an ignorant newbie into spending money to get it, but hey, that comes with the territory in any business, no?

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
... with another division along gender lines.

Or not, depending on the world and races. :)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
...if the free intro product is aimed at both new players and new GMs, it should contain a few broad notes on how...

...and a reference to how the issue is addressed in greater depth in (ICE product #_____). If it's going to be a free publication, you might as well make sure you can write off the production costs as advertising.

Of course, that puts the burden on ICE to make the thing referred to useful enough to justify luring an ignorant newbie into spending money to get it, but hey, that comes with the territory in any business, no?

Quite a bit of it also depends on length. I agree that having some notes about trade routes and the like are quite useful, but if we're working with 40 pages it might not fit. My planning take is to figure out what the absolute minimum is, get that charted out, and then have the "if there's room" list for stuff that can (and should) be added if there's more room. I'd also plan on cross-referencing the product with the RMU rules (both specific sections and the product number idea for more extended stuff). Keeping it a somewhat short PDF would also allow people to print it easily, cutting down on publishing costs on the ICE side.

Any dual-use, short, and free product is a balancing act. We'd want to keep it useful enough to get them hooked but not so detailed that they don't need to buy the full versions.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
I don't think it should be bought with DP either as my intent is to give flavour, not any bonus/malus. It looks like talents and flaws, but without the advantages/drawbacks.

It has to work with RMU, so some of this is a non-starter until that's done and delivered.

I'm not I understand what you're meaning here... From my point of view, those background elements could fit other RPG systems and you can make them generic enough to fit into SF too.

Am I mistaken or are there two products discussed in this thread?
1. A book mostly for GMs to help them learn the system;
2. A starter adventure with tips and simple rules for both beginner players and GMs.

I would rather cheer for #2 as it looks like an efficient way to learn the rules while playing compared to a set of examples.

Your thoughts?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »

I'm not I understand what you're meaning here... From my point of view, those background elements could fit other RPG systems and you can make them generic enough to fit into SF too.

Am I mistaken or are there two products discussed in this thread?
1. A book mostly for GMs to help them learn the system;
2. A starter adventure with tips and simple rules for both beginner players and GMs.

I would rather cheer for #2 as it looks like an efficient way to learn the rules while playing compared to a set of examples.

Your thoughts?

To be clear, I'm mainly discussing #2. The talk has strayed from time to time into a larger GM book, but I think the main focus should be a short, free starter product (with an adventure or something similar in it) that is tooled specifically for RMU. That's why I say it has to be accurately cross-referenced. For example, if section 1 talks about character creation, you'd have "See Section X of Character Law for more detailed information." To me, it should give them enough to get started and make a couple of basic characters (Arms and Magic, likely) and then go on a simple adventure near a village. The GM section would have pointers and the like, although some of this also depends on length. If space is an issue, we need to focus on showing how RMU works for someone who's never played it, or run it, before.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
...and then go on a simple adventure near a village.

Nirbai City, on the edge of the Nirbai Forest.   ::)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

Depends on your audience. If you're going to relative newcomers, why not? Especially if it's a short product. If it's longer, you can get into more detail and show GMs how to work that side of it using RMU as their stage. Keep in mind, if it's going to be free (and come in a print version) it needs to be short. PDF gives you more room to operate, obviously.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

Depends on your audience. If you're going to relative newcomers, why not?

Exactly. They're newbies, they may not be fully aware of the degree of punniness they'll likely have to put up with from a typical gaming group. If the premise of the document is "teach the newbies"... may as well warn 'em in advance.

;)

On a note related to the discussion of resources earlier... I found a new (to me anyway) site/page devoted to fantasy demographics. Like most, it is in the format of X number of people in a settlement will generate Y numbers of profession Z. And like most such listings, the number of people in listed professions nowhere near equals the total of the population it is taken from, the rest being presumably "peasant laborers." But even peasant laborers do something.

One of the reasons the whole thing with resources is important is because it defines what that "peasant laborer" does. In most cases, he'll be a small farmer and/or be attempting to raise livestock of some kind. In most settings, the individual peasant family will not have enough land to support large animals, or large numbers of small ones. A goat, a pig and a few chickens are a serious strain on the carrying capacity of their land.

But in a town in heavy forest upstream from a major city, he'll probably be a woodcutter or a boatman. In a little mining camp of 20 or 30 people, he'll almost certainly be a miner. The point is that even using the same random fantasy demographics to add in the butcher the baker and the candlestick maker, the entire character of a settlement changes according to who the peasants are. Pick the miner's pocket, you may find gold dust. Pick the boatman's pocket, you may find a frog. You're much less likely to find a frog in the miner's pocket or gold dust in the boatman's, however.

What's in their pocketses is different, what's for sale in the local store is different, what kind of food they serve at the inn is different, what kind of horse is considered especially valuable is different, the makeup and priorities of local law enforcement is different, what kind of weather makes them abandon the settlement and save themselves is different.

The culture is a reaction to the character of the peasants, much more so than the other way around. Pawns are the soul of chess.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 07:56:37 AM »
On a note related to the discussion of resources earlier... I found a new (to me anyway) site/page devoted to fantasy demographics. Like most, it is in the format of X number of people in a settlement will generate Y numbers of profession Z. And like most such listings, the number of people in listed professions nowhere near equals the total of the population it is taken from, the rest being presumably "peasant laborers." But even peasant laborers do something.

Link please!

By the way, in that vein, I recommend the HARN Manor supplement from Columbia Games (I do not know if it is still in print) - https://www.google.com/search?q=Harn+manor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a - (1st link blocked here at work :( ) as it also goes into goodly detail at the peasant scale.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
This is the fantasy demographics:

http://www.batintheattic.com/downloads/Fantasy%20Demographics%20Version%201.pdf

A couple of other things that were fun.... random alchemy ingredients:

http://www.wizardawn.com/rpg/files/alchemy_ingredients.pdf

Random results for successfully picking pockets:

http://www.wizardawn.com/rpg/files/pick_pocket.pdf

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: [b]Rolemaster [/b] for Dummies
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
Here are couple I have used in the past.

http://www.rpglibrary.org/utils/meddemog/

http://www.welshpiper.com/medieval-demographics-online/

Both the above are based on this article: Medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. John Ross in 1993.  It is still largely used for many other such generators.

I have been thinking of designing one specifically for each major locale on my world of Onaviu.  Too much other stuff need to do to get around doing such.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.