Author Topic: HARP SF future projects  (Read 23101 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
HARP SF future projects
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
There has been discussion on and off as to what might be next for HARP SF.

At some point, there will be the SysOp's Guide (this is a reserved book in that I get to write it).

However, there are many other possible opportunities:

In rule books, possibilities:
  •    a vehicles supplement
  •    space battle rules
  •    planetary mass combat rules
  •    a technology guide.

In sourcebooks:
  • a book on aliens races and alien creatures
  • sector books for portions of the Tintamar setting

Or as has been recently suggested, Tintamar sourcebooks that support styles of play, adding appropriate rules material, setting material - relevant worlds etc, etc:
  • military
  • covert/espionage/"underworld"
  • exploration
  • mercantile
  • science/tech
  • psionic

Let us know your preferences and in due course, I will issue formal calls for proposals.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: HARP SF future projects
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Oh man,  I don't even know where to begin on a wish list like this.

I guess the highest value ideas for me would be:
A technology guide
A creature catalog (sentient races are well covered for my needs largely but face eating aliens for the PCs to shoot up would be really useful - so far I am modifying the critters from HARP Fantasy for this)
A Vehicle supplement

Next down my list would be:
Sector books for Tintamar
An exploration setting guide
A merchantile setting guide
A military setting guide
and a covert operations setting guide

I suspect others would rate an expanded psionics book much higher than myself.  But so far the psionics just haven't played into my games too much.

Not on this list at all but one that could be very useful is a Modern or Near Modern setting conversion book.  The rules are all there for a Modern game, but the skills, talents, and equipment are all aimed much more futuristic.  For example I am getting the itch to run a game set in Charles Stross' Merchent Princes world.  I would really like to do so with a Harp Sci-Fi rules set in a modern setting.

Just thinking about these ideas has gotten me all fired up to buy them!
-Pyrotech

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »
On my list of wishes:
  • Exploration splat book
  • "Underworld"/Fringe splat book
  • Vehicle supplement
  • Tech guide
  • Sector books - tintamar
  • Mercantile splat book

It would be awesome with any of these really :)
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:29:14 AM »
 I would say a Vehicle Guide as vehicles are used quite a bit in most Space Games and player and GM's like to tinker with them. After that a TECH book to flesh out the rest of the equipment the players might need and to give me an example the Universes tech culture. But at the same time a splat guide book for the U would go well with the Tech book and a Military (Navy) splat book would go well with the Vehicle book.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
Re: HARP SF future projects" super's book?"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »
i know you guys from Ice have made pulp and other setting how about something unique for HARP - how about a super's book ? the powers can be layed out like psion and magic as field- with something like Magnetic control or Radiation control starting low and working up to more powerful levels , just like magic or psion .
on your sector books there could be isolated worlds because of their strange setting like goth. and Super where colonist move ther now have super abilities or even setting world like Dragon riders and World where colonist all belonged to a medieval re enactment groups and want to recreate or make a low tech paranormal world?
or a world that has a strange spice that causes or allows mutation to its users to gain the minds of computers and psychic powers and some of them could be natural space astrogators ?
get it , the serial numbers can be filed off - but I hope you get it> even a pulp world where there stuck in the 1930 level of tech but there psion or magic - < World can be called Kutulu world- ((((((Maniacal LAUGH INSERTED)))))) >
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:32:34 AM »
Maybe I'm a little slow this morning...  ???

Much of what you are asking for could be done with the current HARP and HARP SF rules with only minor adjustments.  It would be difficult to use the existing resources to focus on a different setting as it would negatively impact an already very stretched product development effort.  If someone were interested in doing a product (or product line) like this, then contact Nicholas and he'll be able to review your proposal.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dob85y

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:46:33 AM »
A few years ago i started down the path of writing a future supp for D20, before 100 other people got there. The main driver for this was, at the time there was a specific genre that was only represented in a specific game that starts with cyber and finishes with, well you can guess.
A lot of the work I did could conceivably be converted for use with HARP SF as a expanded Cyber type of supplement, as it is a favorite genre of mine. I would be happy so share what i have done.

Offline Cyanide Baby

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
This, for sure:

"Tintamar sourcebooks that support styles of play, adding appropriate rules material, setting material - relevant worlds." Rules-only publications are way too dry for me. I want a lot of succulent flesh on my bones.

I'd like sourcebooks that inspire me, and make me dream of stories and adventures ... with extra details on tech, vehicles, etc. for that particular part of the galaxy.

One of my all-time favorite sourcebooks, for any game, is Dark Space for Spacemaster/Rolemaster. I'm not saying that I would want a sourcebook where magic and tech mix, I really am talking about the way that sourcebook mixes information on the setting, with extra details on tech, new alien species, bio-tech rules, equipment, adventure ideas, etc.
It makes for very exciting reading.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:45:46 AM »
This, for sure:

"Tintamar sourcebooks that support styles of play, adding appropriate rules material, setting material - relevant worlds." Rules-only publications are way too dry for me. I want a lot of succulent flesh on my bones.

I'd like sourcebooks that inspire me, and make me dream of stories and adventures ... with extra details on tech, vehicles, etc. for that particular part of the galaxy.

[...] I really am talking about the way that sourcebook mixes information on the setting, with extra details on tech, new alien species, bio-tech rules, equipment, adventure ideas, etc.
It makes for very exciting reading.

You, Sir, just won my vote.  :)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
A few years ago i started down the path of writing a future supp for D20, before 100 other people got there. The main driver for this was, at the time there was a specific genre that was only represented in a specific game that starts with cyber and finishes with, well you can guess.
A lot of the work I did could conceivably be converted for use with HARP SF as a expanded Cyber type of supplement, as it is a favorite genre of mine. I would be happy so share what i have done.

errrmmm HELL YEAH!
please do this..
please..wait..

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
I want to play CyberHARP
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline ccav2001

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Space battle rules would be especially good for me.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
I'm all for an alien creatures and races book! :)
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
Space battles & starship construction would be good for me as well. I have really been toying with running a Star Trek game via Harp Sci-fi over Spacemaster: Privateers rule set.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline joel.lovell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Author
    • Machinimagine
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
Space battles & starship construction would be good for me as well. I have really been toying with running a Star Trek game via Harp Sci-fi over Spacemaster: Privateers rule set.

I'd certainly second this, having ships construction rules, space combat, trade rules, exploration rules, dual stat it for space master and HarpSF - imagine silent death type fast space combat rules with RpG hooks...

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
The 2015 plans of the Director's Briefing - January 2015 states that completion of Harp Bestiary is holding up several projects, but not specifically future HARP SF projects. Does the same apply to HARP SF?

Is the plan to include bestiary information specific to Tintamar or SM's Imperium in HARP Bestiary?

Are there creature creation rules in HARP Fantasy which would also be used for creatures in HARP SF?

Is there some future product(s) that I should wait to be released prior to attempting to finalize some small, or perhaps even larger projects, for SM's Imperium setting for use with HARP SF rules?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions!

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
I seem to remember that the Bestiary will not include the creature creation rules but the GM book would (although I could be wrong).  I also got the impression that the Bestiary will be intended for HARP Fantasy only (and I would be surprised if it wasn't).  I strongly suspect the creature creation rules would work on sci-fi critters with little modification but I haven't seen them myself.

I have taken some of the creatures from the core book and Monsters: A Field Guide and used them in my Bughunters 2155 game.  They are built on the old critter creation standard but are close enough. 

From the core book:
(click to show/hide)
And from MaFG
(click to show/hide)
As for waiting for books I would probably advice against it.  With the current project load I don't expect to see much new HARP Sci-Fi in the next year or so (but if TGC proves me wrong I would be very happy). 

I'm really looking forward to more HARP SF materials and can't wait for more of them!

Regards,

Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. My impressions matched yours, but I do not follow some of the discussions here as I am not a big rules debater or modifier. it would have been easy to miss something in the discussions.

Any thoughts on how generic would you want something to be to make it easily modifiable into your Bughunters 2155 game?  Stats can be done fairly easily, but background and setting seems to be a little more difficult. How much "fluff" specifc to the Imperium campaign might prove to be too much?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »
HARP Bestiary is not a prerequisite for any HARP SF products.

A HARP SF alien creatures would use broadly the same creature creation rules.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
A Harp SF Xenologists Guide would be pretty useful to me.  Mostly because the only creatures covered by the core book are sentient.  To some extent this makes sense because as my Bughunters game has proven time and again - even really tough monsters fall pretty easy in a HARP SF game if they don't have a ranged attack.  Lasers and machine guns really chew up Level 10 dinosaurs fast if they don't strike from ambush.  So the real threats in HARP SF are really the other sentients that also carry lasers and machine guns.  But having some dumb monsters to shoot up is pretty handy for my game.

For my Bughunters game I used/modified both the generic descriptions from the core book and the more detailed descriptions from M:aFG with about the same difficulty.  The Gorger for example is an almost drop in monster for a Sci-Fi game (and its armor piercing attack really helps against the high tech armor once it gets close enough to use it).  Whereas below you can see what I did with the more generic core book write-ups:

(click to show/hide)

I omitted some of the data in the above because it was basically a straight copy of what is in the core book.

So both worked for me
-Pyrotech

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »
A GM screen. Landscape format.  8)
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff