Author Topic: Dn Demon's have souls ....  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Legion

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Dn Demon's have souls ....
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
Do Demons have souls  and if not does absolution have any effect on them?. Traditionally angels and demons do not have souls hence their jealousy of man. 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dn Demon's have souls ....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
I think it can depend a lot on your game world and the GM's interpretations of what are Angles, Daemons, Devils, etc.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
If they are just a hostile race from another plane, they could have souls and be affected normally.

If they have no souls, or the nature of their souls is too different, they could be immune, or the whole demon (body and all) could be sent to wherever Absolution sends the soul. Effectively, it might a form of banishment.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
Their bodies are embodiments of their innate/soul strength.  The are forced to assume a physical form in our universe (many may hate it as limiting).  When absolved, not much will be left of their form and they return to their own dimension for 100 years...or something like that.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »
<joke>
Of course not.  Thus the reason they are hostile towards those beings who do have souls. ;)
</joke>

Seriously, I would use jdale's thoughts.  It would depend upon whether you define demons/devils as an alien species or just some form of evil manifested into physical form.  If the former, then Absolution would work on them.  If the later, then some form of banishment.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't assume a game system is automatically following the beliefs of one or more specific religions.  I'd say just make the call as GM, but if you disallow Absolution based on the idea that something doesn't have a soul there should probably (imo) be an alternative process, like Banishment.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
Based on game mechanics only, I would say that Absolution would not work:

Demons have a line of banish spells
Undead have repulsions
Livies have Absolution...

IMHO.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Based on game mechanics only, I would say that Absolution would not work:

Demons have a line of banish spells
Undead have repulsions
Livies have Absolution...

IMHO.
Yep, and if you're evil banishment works the same way on the 'good' 'souless' critters like Angels (if you work them that way).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
Another race of embodied souls: elves.  They blow up when they get absolved!  Best way to kill an elf by far, cuz he ain't coming back.

8)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
Do Demons have souls  and if not does absolution have any effect on them?. Traditionally angels and demons do not have souls hence their jealousy of man. 

I would say no.  They've already been sent to hell.  What more could you possibly do to them?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline brandivil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:54:17 AM »
I don't normally pass comment in this area of the forums but somehoe my phone link brought me right to this topic (I'm usually on the Shadow world role master area)...

I happen to know from a real world RC theological position that demons (angels that chose self over God) are all spirit and therefore immortal.  Every living thing (body) on earth has its soul.  Man is unique in nature, as he possesses both a soul that inhabits his body and spirit which is immortal.  Angels and demons can appear as humans but they remain angels and only spirit.  Humankind alone in creation is gifted with both, and they are for humans, exclusively one and the same thing.

Offline farseer22

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 06:28:12 PM »
I would say that Demons and Angels are souls. They can only manifest a physical body if the exert power to do so. I think I would probably also rule that an Absolution type spell wouldn't work on them as they are designed to separate a mortal soul from it's body.