Author Topic: Horse encumbrance  (Read 1699 times)

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Horse encumbrance
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
In the "Riding and Draft Animals" section of Creatures & Monsters, various Horses, Donkeys, and Mules have, among their stats, a Carrying Capacity listed. The Note at the bottom of the chart states that that this is the amount that the animal can normally carry before incurring penalties.

What penalties are those, exactly?  I cannot find the answer in Creatures & Monsters nor in the Rolemaster rulebook.

For example, a Pony has a Carrying Capacity of 180 lbs.  I assume that from 0-180lbs, the Pony moves its' full Base Movement rate of 70'.  What happens after that weight?  Is there some weight-multiple that it goes down to half-rate?  One-third?  What is the maximum weight that it can carry and still move?

I was thinking of using the Character's Encumbrance chart in the main rules (or making one based off of it just for steeds), but that doesn't seem to be right.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Horse encumbrance
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
 I think the info is listed in the RMSS/FRP GM Law or an article on the Guild Companion. If I have some free time later I will do some checking but I am working on a couple of brutal computer problems at the moment and trying to to have people re-install from backups, myself being one of those people.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Yes, in Gamemaster Law, there is a section on Horse Quality, Traits, and Height & Weights, but I didn't see anything on their Encumbered Movement.

Thanks in advance.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:59:30 PM »
I would assume the average pony is 900lbs and has a total+8 st mod.  So every 90 lbs over 180 results in a -8mm penalty.  Use the pace chart accordingly.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
Sections 18.16 and 18.17 in RMFRP (page 56) gives the Encumbrance rules, these seem to read across to animals as well as characters.

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
I don't have the RMFRP book, but the Encumbrance section (22.2, page 85 in the RMSS) mentions that

"each character has a weight allowance equal to 10% of his own weight....a character's encumbrance penalty is equal to -8 times the number of increments of weight penalty....(and that) three times a character's Strength state bonus may cancel some or all of his encumbrance penalty."

It keeps mentioning "character" and doesn't seem to infer that the Encumbrance Penalty Chart can be used for animals, as well.  And, if that chart supposes that for every multiple of a Humanoid's weight, that it incurs a -8 penalty, then I don't know if that would work for mounts & draft animals, as you would think these animals should probably handle more weight before being encumbered than our own "10% of our weight"; they probably should have their own penalty to weight ratio."

Can anyone clarify?

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
While one can argue that, then, you'll need an encumbrance formula for various animals (ants can carry a LOT), horses, ponies, and such are really what PC's really need to find this information out for.

But if nothing, else (like yammahoper suggests) I guess I'll just go ahead and use the chart anyway.

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
The problem I have with this approach is that pack animals aren't humanoid and should have very different encumbrance rules. For example, overloading a Mule will not make it noticeably slower but will ruin its feet or ankles in no time. You effectively kill it within a few days. (Or so I've been told.)