Author Topic: Middle Earth campaign near the end of the Second Age  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Middle Earth campaign near the end of the Second Age
« on: March 08, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
So, I've been toying with an idea for a campaign story-line over the years and, while I don't plan on running it soon, I'd like to see some open discussion about it's potential.  I have a decent idea of how I want it to go, which I'll explain, but some feedback and bouncing ideas around is always a good thing.

So the year will be around 3319 in the Second Age.  This is when Numenor sinks.  In the traditional story-line Sauron reforms in his incorporeal form already possessing the One Ring.  Ten years from that point Sauron attacks Gondor, conquers Minas Ithil and burns the White Tree.  Isildur flees to Arnor while Anárion defends Osgiliath and Minas Anor.

In my story-line Sauron will go down with Numenor as normal, but when he reforms in his incorporeal form he will not automatically possess the One Ring.  It will still be at the bottom of the sea with Numenor itself.  This basically gives me ten years to play around with the story before anything super important happens that would logically include the One Ring by default.  The reason for doing this is it lets me play around with the Middle Earth setting with the various Rings of Power in play in such a manner that the PC's could actually possess one and not immediately be 'found' by Sauron.

The basic jist of the story is that the PC's will be helping, in minor ways to start with - ramping up as the campaign progresses, to try and hinder the powers of evil in general and, eventually, stop the potential retrieval or reforging of the One Ring in the long run.

So, I'm not sure how many of you are super familiar with Middle Earth, particularly in this time frame... but what do ya'll think?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Middle Earth campaign near the end of the Second Age
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »
 I like it and do not forget the minor rings of power as they may be of help to the PC's.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »
Yep, precisely.  With the One Ring out of play (starting in 3419 2nd Age) all the various Rings of Power could be put into play without immediately exposing the wearer.  Somewhere around 3434 and 3441 Sauron gathers up the Nine (Human) and the Seven (Dwarven) rings (he's not able to retrieve the Elven ones though).  That means, for the purpose of the campaign, I've got until somewhere between 3429 and 3441 to fairly freely mess around with the details.

So the Elven rings would be with the Elves obviously.  The Nine and the Seven would both potentially be with those they were given to originally, but what happens from there can be altered.  After he gathers those rings back up from wherever I decide they go (somewhere between 3429 and 3441 - before he is defeated in the wars at the end of the 2nd age), he 'corrupts' them and re-distributes them (much later) I believe.  So the Nazgul don't even exist yet at that point.  Now, I will have something akin to the Nazgul.  Human individuals who had already been corrupted.  I'll call them "Dark Riders".  They will give the same feel, but not be as powerful as the Nazgul (you did NOT want to mess with them in MERP) and not quite undead.

There are some bits and pieces of Middle Earth that have been talked about that work well within some of my mythos... for example, my idea that Liches are really Elves who have made themselves fully immune to age.  They are not always evil, but tend towards it more due to the very nature of what they are doing.  This relates to some of the backstory about the rings of power created by the elves.  Vampires are the human version of this, the idea being that powerful elven undead are more able to retain their new state, while human ones need to 'feed' in order to retain their new state.  This explains the Tolkien part of it that relates...

"Tolkien’s essay concerning Elvish spirits seems to explain the reason for why the Elves made the Rings in the first place. They were trying to forestall the inevitable fading to which they were doomed (if they remained in Middle-earth). By delaying the effects of Time the Elves slowed their natural aging to about 1/10th of the normal rate. Hence, a thousand years for an Elf under the influence of the Great Rings was really more like 100 years — and Elves hardly aged at all in the course of 100 years, so they would not have to worry about fading for a long time.
     But some Elves may already have faded by the time the Gwaith-i-Mirdain made the Rings. Or, it may be that they desired to converse with the spirits of Elves who had died in Middle-earth and who had rejected the summons of Mandos. When Melkor (Morgoth) was still self-incarnated during the First Age, according to Tolkien, he could force any elvish spirit to reside with him in Angband if the dead Elf refused Mandos’ summons. But what became of those trapped spirits after Melkor was defeated?
     And in the Second Age, what happened to the Elvish spirits who refused the summons? Tolkien implies they would have become “haunts” (ghosts), perilous for Men to interact with, but desiring (eventually) to return to their own bodies or to seize the bodies of others. Hence, necromancy would have become a dangerous form of sorcery for Men but might actually have been one of the goals of the Ring-makers."

To be blunt, doing this allows me to take a very familiar, pre-designed (ready to go) setting and story that the players love, but not have to worry about following a set storyline.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
 I have in my own game up'd the power of the "greater rings" and increased the power of the lesser ring, this deviates somewhat from JRRT but my players and I had lots of fun with it.
 I basically have rings of power for every profession that increase your abilities or if you are of another profession they give you some abilities of the other profession. Once I had the various "profession" rings give the full profession bonuses of the profession of the ring and another time I agave 1/2 profession bonus's and the third time I have it give 1/2 then full bonuses after a specific level or great event happened to the PC.
 In my game the greater rings abilities that are listed in the various MERP products also have access to most if not all of the specific realms spell lists and profession lists. This along with other powers makes their wielders truly frighting in terms of power and abilities.
 I love rings of power and use them in almost every fantasy game and some sci fi game as well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »
I like the idea and would love to play in that campaign. I once toyed with the idea of a counter 4th age assuming Sauron got the one ring back.

What freedom to ad lib!

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:39:24 AM »
The idea is pretty neat, but I think it will be too subtle for my players.

I played a campaign in the second age leading up from the founding of Eregion to the destruction of it by Sauron and his forces. Though we never came to the end point, it became my longest running campaign: 7 years!

The most memorable for my players and the most evokative for the new players hearing about it was the First Age campaign. I allowed all kinds of strange races, such as Fey and animal races (Faun, Centaur, etc) and I had a pretty straightforward plot: almost railroaded, but still the epic gameplay possibilities were great fun.
Game On!

Offline Weald Walker

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
My apologies for the late post....I'm always a day late & $ short :)

I like the time frame chosen for your ME setting. The PC's can be around grand, sweeping epic events (reformation of Sauron, corruption of the 9 kings, gathering of rings, etc), while still having a lot of storyline flexibility. Kinda what every GM and player wants.
Suggestion: Why not set the campaign around one of the 9 human kings who has a lesser RoP? Believe only Khamul (and maybe 1 other?) are actually named. This gives great flexibility to create a name, place, and kingdom setting to start off the PC's with. They could start on the premise of working in/near the king's keep/town at a very low level and gradually get more involved as the plot gradually unfolds. Think starting positions as a fletcher, Knight's squire/stable person, cook, librarian, local thief, whatever. As the PC's all vaguely know of each other, the eventual coming together and interacting on a grand adventure (or staying put in their various roles and solo advebturing as the GM sees fit) would be very logical. As the rumors of problems with the king/in the kingdom grow....so much storyline gold!?!!
- The king has disappeared and while soldiers are scouring the countryside, one of the PC's saw/knows some clue as to his actual whereabouts. Because they want to gain favor and/or reward, the PC's set out to follow the clue themselves and retrieve their king.
- The king's seer/advisor has been arrested for "using wizardry" on the king (blaming the innocent is always fun...burn witch!). The PC's get involved in proving or disproving his innocence. Kinda getting "Game of  Thronesy" here. Testify to his guilt and gain favor? Defend his honor and create enemies....eventually fleeing and hunted as traitors (to a king becoming a Nazgul....a good time to be a traitor).
- I could keep going. Given JRR's vagueness about the who, what, where, when, and how's of the 9 becoming Nazgul; think you could really have your PC's create their own epic tales within his literary framework.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."--- Mark Twain

Offline Weald Walker

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
More info on the naming of the Nazgul and backgrounds. Use what's already there, or create your own and run with it....
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/faq/nazgul.html
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."--- Mark Twain

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:46:14 AM »
You could say that it required the One Ring ("one ring to bind them") to fully corrupt the wearers of the Nine. Make the players Sons and Daughters of the current wearers. The Valar gave them a vision and thus the quest to stop the enemy reforging or finding the ring.

I love it :)

Hmmm, you could go as far as saying the Valar actually destroyed Numenor to take out the ring and that is the only reason.
Talkos: Hey Mellie babe, think you can pop a volcano up under Souron's apprarment?
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Barwickian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:01:37 AM »
I once did a fair bit of prep for a campaign with a similar premise. The Nine weren't fully corrupted, and the PCs would initially be working for one of them, but be faced with a decision as evil took hold.

I'm the end I never ran it, but this thread makes me want to see if I can find my notes.

I like the idea of Sauron having to regain the One Ring.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Hmmm. I stopped getting notifications from this thread for some reason.

I actually already had a plot somewhat similar to what a couple of you talk about.  That the PC's would initially be indirectly working for the 'bad guys' and eventually discover they are on the wrong side of things and have to figure out how to extract themselves from the situation.

No idea if I'll ever run this.  I've got two other ideas for campaigns.

One is basically just my own custom setting, medieval in nature but with some fledgling gun-power (some cannon and very early hand-held firearms) and low tech air-ships (basically somewhat hazardous zeppelins) technologies.  Low level magic is technically somewhat common, but the truth of that isn't realized by most the population.  It gets rarer as it gets more powerful, resulting in high level pure spell users being looked upon with awe by most.

The other is a pretty straightforward Sci-Fi game in the Star Wars universe (but not tied to any of the existing story lines).  It'll let us mix the usual Sci-Fi RPG with some ship to ship combat scenarios. (We're a bit more on the war-game side than the actual 'role-play' side of things).
- Cory Magel