Author Topic: Something Wicked: name change?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Something Wicked: name change?
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:28:07 AM »
Following up from the Briefing, Something Wicked has lost some material to Bestiary but will gain new material. Should we change the name?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Something Wicked: name change?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:45:15 AM »
I guess that depends on whether you think the focus has changed or not.  Based on the name I would expect to see lots of potential Rules/Creatures/Spells to use in creating Evil or at least tainted that way obstacles for my characters to overcome and possibly some options to play an Evil character.  If that isn't really what the supplement is doing at this point, then even though the name is cool, it should be changed.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »
Can you give us a hint at the primary content for the book? This may help us decide if a new name is needed or the original is still effective.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Cyanide Baby

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05:57 AM »
I vote to keep Something Wicked.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
Can you give us a hint at the primary content for the book? This may help us decide if a new name is needed or the original is still effective.

The Briefing provides some information. Will provide some more when back from vacation.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
I guess that depends on whether you think the focus has changed or not.  Based on the name I would expect to see lots of potential Rules/Creatures/Spells to use in creating Evil or at least tainted that way obstacles for my characters to overcome and possibly some options to play an Evil character.  If that isn't really what the supplement is doing at this point, then even though the name is cool, it should be changed.

There are demon summoning magics, mind domination magics, cantrips to rust metal and spoil food, rituals to blight the land and create Undead (including a HARP version of the Ritual of Black Eternity), new mana sources such as red mana (magic powered by blood), etc. But all the creatures have emigrated to Bestiary. And then there will be the new support for the Mentalist/Seer and divination magic

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I would stay with the name, as this name already has quite a HARP history, over the last 10 (or even more) years.
In addition I still see the main focus on evil magic, so for me the name is still fine (even with Mentalists and Divione stuff).

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
So far Something Wicked seems to fit well. But IMHO Something Wicked sounds more of a name for a book on demons/devils and/or items that summon and control them. With that in mind other suggestions might be:
The Darker Side
Dark Arcana
Hidden Arcana
Unnatural Magic
Secrets of the Darker Arts

You can mix and match the names to find something better or maybe these will inspire better names from others.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »
How about "Magic for the Morally Ambiguous"  ;D
More seriously how about "Wicked Ways"  its close to the original but points it more towards spells, items and professions than monsters.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
I like the title as is!  Something Wicked just sounds cool.   :)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 04:33:35 AM »
In the "Rivers of London" series its ethically-challenged, I think, but nevermind that, DO NOT change the name.  :D
I posted this more or less elsewhere but this is probably the better place for it.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline assur

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
Dark Side sound good, Something Wicked look too generalist, I do not like it.