Author Topic: How would you run these tournaments?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How would you run these tournaments?
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
In my campaign the player characters will soon be involved in a large festival with these 4 tournaments:
1) Armed combat - single combat, single eliminations, no magic weapons or magic allowed (120 participants)
2) Unarmed combat - single combat, single eliminations, martial arts or brawling skills will be used (60 participants)
3) Horse race - 3 laps around a set course which runs through the city (20 participants)
4) Foot race - 1 lap, same course as the horse race (40 participants)

Combats are not to the death. Combatants are expected to yield should they sustain serious injury and are removed from the event if they are judged to be unfit to continue by the governor’s senior cleric.
Healing is allowed by clerics or priests who will be on hand at the event to attend the wounded. Healing between bouts is not allowed unless you withdraw from the tournament. The use of any magic during any battle is outlawed. This includes magical items and weapons.

How would you run these events in terms of roleplaying? player characters will be entered in each event.
For the two races i was thinking id get each runner to make 4 manouvre rolls per lap, adding their riding or Ag stat bonus. There will be some other factors influencing rolls such as horse quality and 'cheaters' trying to trip or knock runners/riders.

The combats will obviously not be played out per NPC unless they involve a major NPC or the players state they want to watch a specific match.
I am just looking for a way to generate some results quickly without making too many dice rolls. IM thinking I will 'fudge' a few results that dont involve the players to ensure the favourites make it through to the final rounds and just narrate a bit of a summary for each round of combat.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How would you run these tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:34:39 AM »
I guess im looking for a quick combat result method requiring only a few rolls.

Something like this...

Combat modifiers:
quicker than opponent +10
Longer weapon than your opponent +5
Higher OB  by 1-10, +5
Higher OB  by 11-30, +10
Higher OB  by 31-50, +30
Higher OB  by 51+, +50
Adrenal Move speed or Strength or +10
Shield +20
Superior Armour +10
Half Parry -20 (reduces all damage by 20%)
Full Parry -50 (reduces all damage by 50%)
Wounded -10 to -30 (previous crits may also incur additional penalties)

Each combatant rolls 1d100+ each combatants OB + modifiers (see above) minus each combatants DB apply the difference between both to find the winner and loser (see COMBAT RESULTS TABLE below)

Open-ended 96+ results in a crit as well as applying results from table below (both winner and loser can inflict a crit on one another potentially causing a deep cut/bleeding injury which will cause problems in future combats until healed)
A fumble results in an auto loss (GM's disgression) or a reroll with a penalty, depending on the actual fumble.

COMBAT RESULTS TABLE (highest subtract from lowest)
0-20 difference (declared a draw or won on a technicality/weapon breakage/first blood/lucky crit, lasts 2d6 rounds, evenly matched, both suffer 75% hits)
21-50 difference (You win a close fight, lasts 2d6 rounds, evenly matched, both suffer 50% hits)
51-75 difference (You win quickly and sustain minimal damage, lasts 1d6 rounds, winner suffers 25% hits, loser suffers 50% hits)
66 difference (an upset come from behind victory, lasts 6 rounds, winner suffers 50% hits, loser suffers 25% hits)
76-100 difference (You win quickly and make it look easy, lasts 1-3 rounds, winner suffers 10% hits, loser suffers 75% hits)
100+ difference (Very one sided victory, lasts 1-2 rounds, winner takes no damage, loser suffers 100% hits)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 03:56:19 AM »
REVISED COMBAT RESULTS TABLE (highest total subtracted from lowest total)
0-20 difference (A very even match, both sustain heavy damage, he match is won on a technicality/weapon breakage/lucky crit, lasts 6 rounds, both suffer 75% hits)
21-50 difference (Win a close fight, lasts 5 rounds, evenly matched, both suffer 50% hits)
51-75 difference (Win quickly and sustain minimal damage, lasts 4 rounds, winner suffers 25% hits, loser suffers an A critical and suffers 50% hits and yields)
66 difference (an upset come from behind victory, lasts 3 rounds, winner suffers 50% hits, loser suffers 25% hits)
76-100 difference (A quick win, quite a mismatch, lasts 3 rounds, winner suffers 10% hits, loser suffers 75% hits, loser suffers a C critical and the fight is stopped, a TKO)
100+ difference (Very one sided victory, lasts 1-2 rounds, winner takes no damage, loser suffers 100% hits, loser takes an E critical, a KO)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:08 AM »
REVISED COMBAT RESULTS TABLE (highest total subtracted from lowest total)
0-20 difference (A very even match, both sustain heavy damage, he match is won on a technicality/weapon breakage/lucky crit, lasts 6 rounds, both suffer 75% hits)
21-50 difference (Win a close fight, lasts 5 rounds, evenly matched, both suffer 50% hits)
51-75 difference (Win quickly and sustain minimal damage, lasts 4 rounds, winner suffers 25% hits, loser suffers an A critical and suffers 50% hits and yields)
66 difference (an upset come from behind victory, lasts 3 rounds, winner suffers 50% hits, loser suffers 25% hits)
76-100 difference (A quick win, quite a mismatch, lasts 3 rounds, winner suffers 10% hits, loser suffers 75% hits, loser suffers a C critical and the fight is stopped, a TKO)
100+ difference (Very one sided victory, lasts 1-2 rounds, winner takes no damage, loser suffers 100% hits, loser takes an E critical, a KO)

***Critical results can be rolled as normal or selected by GM (GMs disgression)***

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
The Horse Race (3 laps)

Manouvre roll + Riding Bonus
Riders choose to attempt medium (-1 to -20), hard (-1 to 20) or hard (-1 to-20) for straight parts of the course
These are increased by one severity if the riders do not slow down for corners (the course is rectangular)
The -1 to -20 modifier is for obstacles such as bystanders or other riders they need to negotiate along the course.
Each rider must make 4 manouvre rolls.
The number cross-referrenced on the manouvre table is the percentage of total movement achieved.
These distances can then be compared with the other riders to rank them in order from 1st to 20th

Additional factors influencing the race
Dirty tactic from other riders
Dirty tactics from bystanders
Avoiding another rider that has fallen
Temperament of your horse
Speed of your horse
Race tactics/positioning/overtaking

Dirty Tactics Table
01-30 Cut off (reduce your max distance by 20%)
31-60 Shoved or elbowed by someone next to you (-20 to next manouvre check)
61-80 Someone whips your horse with their riding crop causing it to veer away (-20% distance and -20 to next check)
81-95 Someone attempts to whip you with their riding crop and you must veer away to the outside (+50 whip attack, if this hits apply and damage/crit and reduce max distance by 20% and -30 to next check)
96+ A bystander throws something at you attempting to unhorse you (hard check to avoid being hit, If you fail you must make an extremely hard check or fall from your horse and take a C crush crit with 20% chance another horse tramples you (+50 trample attack)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
The Horse Race (3 laps)

Manouvre roll + Riding Bonus
Riders choose to attempt medium (-1 to -20), hard (-1 to 20) or hard (-1 to-20) for straight parts of the course
These are increased by one severity if the riders do not slow down for corners (the course is rectangular)
The -1 to -20 modifier is for obstacles such as bystanders or other riders they need to negotiate along the course.
Each rider must make 4 manouvre rolls.
The number cross-referrenced on the manouvre table is the percentage of total movement achieved.
These distances can then be compared with the other riders to rank them in order from 1st to 20th

Additional factors influencing the race
Dirty tactic from other riders
Dirty tactics from bystanders
Avoiding another rider that has fallen
Temperament of your horse
Speed of your horse
Race tactics/positioning/overtaking

Dirty Tactics Table
01-30 Cut off (reduce your max distance by 20%)
31-60 Shoved or elbowed by someone next to you (-20 to next manouvre check)
61-80 Someone whips your horse with their riding crop causing it to veer away (-20% distance and -20 to next check)
81-95 Someone attempts to whip you with their riding crop and you must veer away to the outside (+50 whip attack, if this hits apply and damage/crit and reduce max distance by 20% and -30 to next check)
96+ A bystander throws something at you attempting to unhorse you (hard check to avoid being hit, If you fail you must make an extremely hard check or fall from your horse and take a C crush crit with 20% chance another horse tramples you (+50 trample attack)

Revised Dirty Tactic Table (make one roll per lap, per pc)
01- 20  None
21-40  A random spectator runs out in front of your horse (-20 Medium manouvre to avoid hitting them, reduce max distance by 20% if you hit them)
41-55  Cut off by another rider (reduce your max distance by 20%)
56-70 Shoved or elbowed by someone next to you (+30 MA Rank 1 attack, -20 to next manouvre check)
71-85 A nearby rider whips your horse with their riding crop causing it to veer away (-20% distance and -20 to next check)
86-95 A nearby rider attempts to whip you with their riding crop and you must veer away to the outside (+50 whip attack, if this hits apply and damage/crit and reduce max distance by 20% and -30 to next check)

Positioning tactics
After the first lap, riders in the top5 places may position themselves on the inside of the course, making overtaking from other riders more difficult and forcing them to slow down or take a wider line at some places on the course. Increase the severity of the manouvre by one when overtaking a rider in the top5 places. Failure to overtake a top5 rider means they hold their current place/position but they can still be overtaken themselves if they are in 1st-5th.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
Very impressive undertaking! :)  Very cool ideas.  I've done something similar, but far far simpler.  I've only read through once and I'll go back to read again to absorb it better, but the first thing that pops into my head is the mention of the critical rolls.  You can use some really nice crit tables from RM2 and the Companions to represent "blunted" or "non-lethal/padded weapons."

* - I don't have the books in front of me, but I'll give as much detail and copyright info as I can from the tables I have in front of me.

RMC-VII           p. 125: Sparring/Practice Critical Strike Table
Companion-?    p. 110 Table 12.7: Stun Critical Strike Table
Companion-??   p. 116 Table 12.2.2: Pummeling Critical Strike Table

Table #2 and #3 are not from the same book as the Page number and font are different.  I can get those Companions for you once I sift through the books.

Those tables allow for a good, non-lethal beating, unless of course you hit 66 or very well on an E-crit.  Accidents DO happen. :)  My PC was in a tournament with wooden swords and I rolled 97 E-Crit.  The poor guy died on the tourney field...... then sadly, he tried to eat him as my PC was cursed with an 11% chance to Cannibalism on recently killed targets.  I rolled poorly :(  So while I did win the tournament, I ended up losing.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:25:03 PM »
Very impressive undertaking! :)  Very cool ideas.  I've done something similar, but far far simpler.  I've only read through once and I'll go back to read again to absorb it better, but the first thing that pops into my head is the mention of the critical rolls.  You can use some really nice crit tables from RM2 and the Companions to represent "blunted" or "non-lethal/padded weapons."

* - I don't have the books in front of me, but I'll give as much detail and copyright info as I can from the tables I have in front of me.

RMC-VII           p. 125: Sparring/Practice Critical Strike Table
Companion-?    p. 110 Table 12.7: Stun Critical Strike Table
Companion-??   p. 116 Table 12.2.2: Pummeling Critical Strike Table

Table #2 and #3 are not from the same book as the Page number and font are different.  I can get those Companions for you once I sift through the books.

Those tables allow for a good, non-lethal beating, unless of course you hit 66 or very well on an E-crit.  Accidents DO happen. :)  My PC was in a tournament with wooden swords and I rolled 97 E-Crit.  The poor guy died on the tourney field...... then sadly, he tried to eat him as my PC was cursed with an 11% chance to Cannibalism on recently killed targets.  I rolled poorly :(  So while I did win the tournament, I ended up losing.

thanks for the input. much appreciated. trying not to create the wheel unless i need to :)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »
armed combat will now be limited to 64 participants.
this makes it easier to do each round. it could be assumed there were preliminary rounds prior to the tournament starting?

day one (3 rounds)
round 1 = 64 fighters
round 2 = 32
round 3 = 16
day two (3 rounds)
round 4 = 8 (quarter finals)
round 5 = 4 (semi finals)
round 6 = finals (3rd and 4th battle for 3rd place)