Author Topic: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 1.0RC2 **UPDATE**  (Read 13574 times)

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 1.0RC2 **UPDATE**
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:05:44 AM »
A New Rolemaster Gets a new Character Generator
With the new version of Rolemaster Classic, comes a character generator spreadsheet.
It supports most but not all options at this point.  More information on customizing the sheet is available in the documentation

System Requirements:
  • Any platform that can run OpenOffice.org version 2.x  This includes Mac, Windows and Linux.
  • OpenOffice.org 2.0x  available from http://www.openoffice.org for free.

Question: Why not do this in MS Excel
Answer:   Because OpenOffice.org is free and available to most everyone with a computer, MS Excel would only be available to some of the RMC fan base and would exclude others.

How do I get it?
The spread sheet is attached to this post and periodically it will be updated.  Download the zip file and extract it.
  • It contains a blank character sheet PDF made from the sheet by OpenOffice
  • An open document file version for your use (RMC_Chargen.ods)
  • A template file (RMC_Chargen.ots)
  • A PDF document explaining the basics of how to work with and customize the sheet.
What does it do?
The spreadsheet walks you through the character creation process from RMC and helps you quickly generate stats, buy skills, and equipment.  It has many controls for  the options presented in RM.  It also has many of the races from the upcoming Creatures and Treasures. Some of the other features at a glance:
  • XML export... A quick(er) way to get the character data into another program, it also exports to kLoOge Werks for on-line gaming
  • PDF Creation thanks to OpenOffice
  • Version tracking and comparison
  • An equipment management system
  • other goodies too...

What does it look like
Output

Page one

Skills pages

Last page

Screenshots

First Screen

Character Creation
Race / Proffesion/ Realm

Purchasing Skills

Purchasing Equipment

Moved the Sheet to the Downloads area: (Click Here)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:46:03 AM by allenrmaher »
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.15 Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
...Moved to included documentation...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:48:54 PM by allenrmaher »
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
... moved to included documentation ...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:48:28 PM by allenrmaher »

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.12 Beta
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:18:08 PM »
I am happy to see another attempt at RM2 software. Will this be an offical ICE product? Do you know what the cost will be?

I wish you good luck in this endevor.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:26:47 PM »
Insofar as I am aware, the answers to your questions are:

ICE supported the creation of this sheet, adding Allen to the RMC team to do it. So it's official in that sense.

It's free, will be free, and depends on the support of fans for bug hunting and improvement.

Last, it's free for one reason, Allen is doing it for free. So, thanks directed towards Allen would be most cool.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
Thank you LM, that is good news! Since I just started a character for a RM2 game at rpgrm.com I'll download the program and give it a try.

Hhmm, could have difficulties with RoCo1 smoothed stat and background options though :(

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:47:39 PM »
Feel free to offer up suggestions of improvements. As it's semi official, I'm not sure if allen will be adding options not in currently published books (He's got a LOT on his plate incorporating the options from the RMC books as they get completed and released.) then again, Allen can do exactly as much work on this as he chooses to, you can try and talk him into putting such rules into the sheet. (Or try to convince ICE to add certain option choices or concepts into future books.)

Not offering any promises on either front, as neither is under my control.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
I will probably not add anything non-canonical to the main sheet... (like the RoCo books)  I don't mind other versions that are customized to peoples uses floating around.  There are several options that may be added to the sheet from the core book that are not there now.

Flipping through a RoCo 1....  You need only change a few formulae to make smoothed stats work... and there is a hidden page called numbers I believe that has the current distributions, if you modify that in a custom sheet it should work fine but would not allow you to switch between, unless you made additional versions of the tables and put in options to switch between. As for background options, there is a page that is hidden with the current ones, if you insert the additional rows you can modify them, you can also create additional ones.  As well the Background options part of the sheet is hand editable so you  can just add them in as needed by hand.  Likewise the special bonus stat column for the additional stat bonuses is modifiable.

If the RoCo is republished for RMC these will be added.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 02:34:18 PM »
Thanks allen, your work is appreciated. I take a look.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »
If I ever get around to the software I keep meaning to write* I'd like to have the XSD file for any RM xml format that is created, for compatibility.

So far, I haven't done much at all, just created the SQL DB. But I will do it one day, honest injun.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 05:35:08 PM »
So far so good. I'm modifying for smoothed stat from RoCo1. I can manually add in stat bonuses from Skill at Arms/Magic and note them in the background section of the Create Page.

A few notes:

1. There is a shadow bold "S" that shows up occasionally in cell G155 on Create sheet. It went away when I manually saved the file. Related to autosave?

2. I manaually entered temp and potential stats in Section 2.4 and clicked Accept. It is updated correctly on the Character sheet but Section 2.6.2 stat gain table does not use the updated stat info. It is showing negative differences which gives some very interesting results. :)

3. Development Points show correctly on the Create sheet, but the decimals cause problems for the Character sheet. Could change the formula here to include the Round function to round off the sum. It would not hurt the basic program and would help if someone modifies the Numbers sheet with smoothed stat info. You could do the same with PP.

About it for now.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 05:45:46 PM »
1. There is a shadow bold "S" that shows up occasionally in cell G155 on Create sheet. It went away when I manually saved the file. Related to autosave?

2. I manaually entered temp and potential stats in Section 2.4 and clicked Accept. It is updated correctly on the Character sheet but Section 2.6.2 stat gain table does not use the updated stat info. It is showing negative differences which gives some very interesting results. :)

Can you email me the sheet you did so I can see where it went wrong... allenmaher@accesscomm.ca

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »
Its on its way. A few more notes.

Purchase Skills sheet

Cell F4 is cut off and doesn't show correctly.

I am assuming I can enter manually in the white spaces here. For example, I can remove the underline portion of weapon class and input say broadsword. This may not be intuitive for some users.

Not sure what I'm supposed to enter in the "Prim." field. Do I do "P" for primary and "S" for secondary? Ah, now I see. This is where I buy the skill ranks. This could use some written direction to make that clear.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »
Another one. The Purchase Skills sheet calculates spent DPs correctly, but I was at 0 and it displayed red -1. This was purchasing only primary skills.

Hhmm, now that I think about it this is also probably related to the decimals from the smoothed stat distribution.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:36:07 PM by Grafton »

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »
When buying equipment, it would be nice to be able to put items in multiple places. For example, I might want to carry 1 oil flask and keep 2 in my backpack.

Overall very good start. I was a bit confused on what buttons to push to level the character and get the skills but eventually figured it out.

I should try another one (spell user) and not use the smooth stat distribution. I think this would help trouble shoot your program. I apologize for the confusion, but its how I would use it so...

Good Luck, Grafton

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:35:41 AM »
There is an error in the 0.9.15 version that calculates DB with Qux2 rather than just Qu.  To fix this you need only:

- Unprotect the page
- Edit the cell to =Qu
- Reprotect the page

A version with that and a few other fixes is on the way shortly.

Edit... New version is now posted....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:51:09 PM by allenrmaher »

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Character Generator Spread Sheet Version 0.9.16 *Updated*
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »
the corrected DB calculation is now in the sheet?

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »
Yes 0.9.16 has that correction.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 11:17:09 PM »
Has the sheet been added to the Downloads section?

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
In the play testing section, since I have not had many bug reports on it this version seems stable enough to put in the main repository.