Author Topic: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?  (Read 15281 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:13:06 PM »
What version of Rolemaster do you play?

I've combined RM2 and RMC since they are essentially the same.   Likewise for RMSS and RMFRP.   RMX I kept separate to see how many are playing it instead of (or in addition to) RMC.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:33 AM »
RMFRP here  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »
RMSS/FRP predominantly but some RM2 classes might creep in - someone is running an alchemist variant at the moment.  I don't believe anyone in my group has purchased any of the new RMC/X material.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
I own nearly all non-world-setting RM2 books, and that's all I run. If I had gads of money sitting around, I might do RMC, but I don't.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »
As soon as RMC came out we switched the system! Finally, RM2 in a better version again! What a relief and enrichment! :)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
Well, I am running a back to basics RMC game w/five newbies to RMC and one old timer and myself the oldest timer in the groupe. 

The five newbies have mostly played on D&D and old World of Darkness.
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
Seton,

How is that game going? That is the same scenario that I will have within a week with RMX, probably one old hat from the RM2 days and new folks who's only gaming exposure is DnD and WoD

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »
I'm sticking with RM2, and now i have RMC, it is now a supported product once more, excellent...

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Der Graumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »
FRP/SS
it solves the problems I had with RM2 (and creates so many new ones:)
GM does not stand for Gentleman

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:41:52 PM »
I play RM2, but bought all the RMC releases both PDF and Hard copy. Cant wait to get them home :D
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Pit Ote

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
RM2 this one and all the years before, I haven't played RMSS/FRP for years and I haven't RMX.
.....unbalanced ......overpowered ......chaotic ......

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
Seton,

How is that game going? That is the same scenario that I will have within a week with RMX, probably one old hat from the RM2 days and new folks who's only gaming exposure is DnD and WoD

Well, the game is just getting started, but all of the veteran ”newbies” seem to be going fine.  One is very excited and looks like he may end up as the leader of the group.  One RM2/C newbie is really married to White Wolf and is really having some trouble getting into the feel of the game.  He seems not to like that I made the world up and he cann’t go look things up online or read them in a history text.  My veteran RM2 guy feels confined with the newer RMC system, but I love it.  I always wanted a smaller game than my players did and we compromised more to their favor.  Now with RMC and newbies I get to.     
Rev. Scott

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »
I voted for both RMC and RMSS but to be honest I don?t really play either of them (well, I played RM2 ages ago).  The reason being I can?t decide which one.  I?ve been comparing and reading them both for quite some time now and I keep bouncing back and forth.  Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

For instance, RMC is a bit more user friendly in many ways, though its skill list is a bit ?adventurer-centric? (with a focus on only the skills an adventurer would need) than I usually enjoy?unless you adopt various optional rules.  On the other hand, I like RMSS?s development of spell lists better than RMC (the concept of the Spell Gain Roll is rather goofy to me and, IMO, inconsistent with other skills).  I like the completeness of RMSS?s skill list, but I have very mixed feelings about the skill category system.  It?s a good system and far more logical, but too overwhelming unless you have digital assistance (i.e. a spreadsheet).  I also appreciate RMSS?s adolescent skill development being based on culture rather than RMC?s development points (which is more a function of profession).

So, in the end, I guess the ONLY thing that really puts me back to RMC is the lack of the skill category system?which I can see positive points about anyway.  I?d have to say that, point for point, every change in the ?What?s New in the RMSS? article in RMSR was a positive change with the conditional exception of the skill development system.

As a side note, HARP, I think, bridges the gap quite well.  It has a good, complete list of skills, and avoids a lot of the mess of the skill category system, though it doesn?t have the detail of Arms Law that I like.  However, the only thing I would really change about HARP is its organization which falls more along the lines of RMFRP than RMC and RMSS.

In fact, the single most attractive point that draws me to any form of RM (other than RMFRP) is its organization which I think is slightly better in RMSS than RMC (I like the full page descriptions of the races and professions as it is conducive to having a cool little character book when you?re all done).  It eliminates greatly on repeated information or information scattered across several books.  It was something unique to ICE and something that should be emulated by other companies?not the other way around.  I really wish they would adopt it for all their lines in the future.  I understand the need for a game-in-one-book concept, but I would MUCH rather have the basic concepts (Characters, Campaigns, Combat, and Casting?the four ?C?s? of RPGing) split entirely into their own books and, if possible, compiled into a box set. 

That?s, of course, my very humble opinion.  Okay?I?m done rambling now. ;)
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 09:39:01 AM »
I?d have to say that, point for point, every change in the ?What?s New in the RMSS? article in RMSR was a positive change with the conditional exception of the skill development system.

I fully agree. The only reason that I could live quite well with the new skill categories is that we used the Similar Skills concept from RM2 Companion 2 before - and that was even worse  ;).

Offline Blakkrall

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • HARP GM
    • Les Chevaliers du Littoral
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Playing RM2 in Dragonlance Setting.
Should I master RM, I would use RMSS/RMFRP.
But still mastering HARP  ;D
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
--------------------
Iceland, The French Fan Site For I.C.E.
LRP store
[img]http://cdl76.com/images/Images_contenu/

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
I find these numbers very interesting and, I have to admit, not what I expected at all.  But it raises another question in my mind.  I think a companion poll added to this would "did you ever play RMSS or did you go from RM2 right to RMC?"  I'd be very interested to hear how many people never liked or played RMSS/FRP in comparison to how many people played it when it was released simply because it was the only supported version, then switched back to RMC once it was released.  Does that make sense?  I'm trying to think of a more eloquent way of stating that so that it would fit into a poll.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Well, I started in RM2.  I played a little MERP.  Then when RMSS came out, I tried it enthusiastically, but moved to FL and no one here liked it.  Then I tried to get my old group down here to try RM2, but they were burned by the RMSS game that I had attempted.  I never tried RMFRP, but did get many of the books.  My newer group has no experience (excepting an old friend from back home who just appeared on the scene) with RM2, RMSS/FRP and are starting out new with RMC. 
Rev. Scott

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »
 I stared in RM2 and switched to RMSS. I do not think I will play RMC eventough it has a lot of fixes to the problems I saw in RM2.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zachary The First

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
RMSS/FRP here, and with all the books I've invested in for it (and having houseruled most of my gripes with it), that'll probably stay that way for a good while.  ;D

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 07:20:42 AM »
I?d have to say that, point for point, every change in the ?What?s New in the RMSS? article in RMSR was a positive change with the conditional exception of the skill development system.

I fully agree. The only reason that I could live quite well with the new skill categories is that we used the Similar Skills concept from RM2 Companion 2 before - and that was even worse  ;).

The funny thing about it is, once you get past character creation (which, with the assistance of the spreadsheet, only takes about 10 minutes when compared to 2 hours without it) my thoughts are really "why not RMSS?"  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I would much rather not need to rely on digital assistance.  I use RPGs as a way to unplug so lashing myself to a computer for a large part of the game is a bit frustrating.  But if that's the only concesion I need to make for an otherwise kick butt game...well...I'm okay with that.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain