Author Topic: Wasn't there a module....  (Read 6450 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Wasn't there a module....
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
I've been surfing the ICE webring for days trying to answer this question (and bugging Rasyr), so I thought I would try asking here.  Does anyone remember an old shadow world module that details the area west of Rhakhaan?  I seem to remember an old adventure entitled Cynar:  The Cursed Oasis, but I can't find info about it anywhere.

(If you google cynar, you get websites relating to some alcoholic beverage made from artichoke hearts  :confused:)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Wasn't there a module....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
All I can find is the bit on this page that says it's an upcoming module: http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/RM1/RM1_1800_Rolemaster_Box.php

And it's Cynor apparently.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
On this page of Brent's webring -- http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/RM1/RM1_1800_Rolemaster_Box.php -- near the bottom of the back cover text, there is the following:

The LOREMASTER Series
This series of campaign & adventure modules are designed specifically for use with the ROLEMASTER fantasy role playing game system. The world of LOREMASTER is dotted with clusters of islands and small continents. Myriad cultures and peoples lie separated by sheer mountains, treacherous reefs, and the powerful but invisible Flows of Essence. Churning like ocean tides under the Five Moons, the Essence ebbs and flows, its eddys and currents dictating unseen barriers and centers of power. Some have learned to tap into that power. Travel across the world is perilous, though some have made it an art: the aloof navigators will transport anyone anywhere — for a fee. And of course, there are the mysterious, saged Loremasters, keepers of the old knowledge and consummate wielders of the Essence. It is they who lead the ongoing fight against the Unlife and its twisted servants. The LOREMASTER Series: THE CLOUDLORDS OF TANARA, THE SHADE OF THE SINKING PLAIN, THE IRON WIND, and VOG MUR. Upcoming Modules: CYNOR: the Cursed Oasis; and THE GATES OF GEHAENNA.

Look at the section in bold maroon. Perhaps that is what made you think that there was such a module. According to a list of old ICE products that I have (which does NOT include MERP stuff), the old ICE never produced such a module.

Most likely, the first edition of Shadow World was created and produced instead...

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
It was never produced. You'll have to dig in the old forum archives to find some informations.In a SW thread Terry stated that Gates was a Pre-SW book and hinted it is Gethaena by stating Gethanea is not considered Canon. But he didn't extend on Cynor.

The thread is here : http://www.ironcrown.com/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=807
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:32:22 PM by Guillaume »
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »
Another one to add to the "Never Released" part of my list. Although, I need to check that, I might have lost that section in the database version of the list.  I'll have to make sure I keep that page going somewhere.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
Ahh, I did include the "Never Released" items in the database, I'll make sure I get that one added.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
Not the result I wanted, but thanks for letting me know I'm not imagining things.  >:(

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
I wonder if anyone still has any work that had been towards writing this module. As it was a planned release, I would have thought some stuff would have been written for it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
This is what software designers refer to as "vaporware".  It was planned, but never materialized.  :-\

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
I wonder if anyone still has any work that had been towards writing this module. As it was a planned release, I would have thought some stuff would have been written for it.

This is harder than the search for the RM authors:
You are looking for an author, you even don't have a name of.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:10:09 AM »
I suspect that in fact it might be easier... As it's an old old old module the choice is limited, they were just starting to hire external authors at that time.

Maybe Terry can give an insight, on who, what, where, how and why.  ;)
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
Hi all.

It's been a very long time, but I don't think anything was ever written for it, or if it was, it was something generic that wasn't really related to Shadow World from the get-go, so I don't think you're missing much by not having it...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.