Author Topic: Rules for survive!  (Read 2620 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rules for survive!
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:11:08 AM »
I think that rules about survival (swimming, hold breath, starving, no water to drink, hot temperatures or cold...) will be welcome in a future supplement!
What do You think about that?
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rules for survive!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:35:34 AM »
I think that somebody should write them and submit them. Either for a Express Additions issue, or as part of a larger project.

You volunteering?  ;D

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »
I must to think about...
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
I think of: (very inspired by HARP)
Starvation & thirst
- by day without meal: - 5 to the total of exhaustion points
- by day without water: - 5 to the total of exhaustion points
These points can be recovered only with water and a good meal.
Thus a character with 90 in Co (90 exhaustion points) after 1 day without meal and water will be with 80 exhaustion.
When the sum of exhaustion points will at 0 the character will be coma state and He'll be dead in 1D10+Co bonus in hours.
Swimming
The speed of the movement his at half the base movement of the character.
For the difficulty of swimming, see the table 07-07 page 81 of Character Law.
For current:
- light stream: add one difficulty (thus very hard for Soft Leather or impossible in Plate...)
- strong stream: add two difficulties
- very strong: add three difficulties
Hold his breath
Holding his breath is very tiring: a character lost 2 exhaustion points per round without moving. If the character want moving use the "rough terrain" thus x2 exhaustion points.
With the head under water, a character with 0 exhaustion point will be in a coma state and will die in 1D10 rounds.
One example: a character with 90 Co can stay under water (without moving) 45 rounds (90 exhaustion points /2 points per round;450 seconds or  7.5 minutes). If he moves on, the time will be 22,5 rounds (3.75 minutes...).
Heat & Cold
a) Heat
Use the exhaustion rules but over 130? F the character will take a A Heat Critical all the 10 minutes (B with metal armour).
If the character is wearing heavy clothes or armours change the category by one: at temperature 120?F with an armour the character will be at 130?F for the effects of the temperatures...
b) Cold
Use the exhaustion rules but under -50?F the character will take a A Cold Critical (B with metal armour) all the 10 minutes. With heavy clothes the category of cold will be one level up (for example if the temperature is -50?F a character with heavy clothes will be in the -30?F category).

Excuse me for my low ranks in the English langage... ;D

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:50:38 AM by black flag »
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »

My only thought is that a person can only survive 2 days without any water, however they can go much longer without food.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
Yes but maybe You can apply the temperatures rules (see p81 from Arms Law).
On day without water at 130?F is at x8...
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
Maybe even have it -5 per hour after the first day without water.  Might be a little too much, but should be more detrimental than lack of food IMO.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 01:31:34 AM »
Little errata for the lack of water:

I think of: (very inspired by HARP)
Starvation & thirst
- by day without meal: - 5 to the total of exhaustion points
These points can be recovered only with water and a good meal.
Thus a character with 90 in Co (90 exhaustion points) after 1 day without meal and water will be with 80 exhaustion.
When the sum of exhaustion points will at 0 the character will be coma state and He'll be dead in 1D10+Co bonus in hours.
You must apply the temperatures rules (see p81 from Arms Law) for the lack of water.
On day without water at 130?F is at x8...
Swimming
The speed of the movement his at half the base movement of the character.
For the difficulty of swimming, see the table 07-07 page 81 of Character Law.
For current:
- light stream: add one difficulty (thus very hard for Soft Leather or impossible in Plate...)
- strong stream: add two difficulties
- very strong: add three difficulties
Hold his breath
Holding his breath is very tiring: a character lost 2 exhaustion points per round without moving. If the character want moving use the "rough terrain" thus x2 exhaustion points.
With the head under water, a character with 0 exhaustion point will be in a coma state and will die in 1D10 rounds.
One example: a character with 90 Co can stay under water (without moving) 45 rounds (90 exhaustion points /2 points per round;450 seconds or  7.5 minutes). If he moves on, the time will be 22,5 rounds (3.75 minutes...).
Heat & Cold
a) Heat
Use the exhaustion rules but over 130? F the character will take a A Heat Critical all the 10 minutes (B with metal armour).
If the character is wearing heavy clothes or armours change the category by one: at temperature 120?F with an armour the character will be at 130?F for the effects of the temperatures...
b) Cold
Use the exhaustion rules but under -50?F the character will take a A Cold Critical (B with metal armour) all the 10 minutes. With heavy clothes the category of cold will be one level up (for example if the temperature is -50?F a character with heavy clothes will be in the -30?F category).

Excuse me for my low ranks in the English langage... ;D

Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:47:20 AM »
Without water 5 days, maybe as much as 7 days before death due to dehydration?
Of course you will be unconsious for  while before dying...
Without food, almost a month before death due to starvation.

Exhaustion points seams like a reasonable mechanics to use.
Maybe some permanent damage as well if dehydration/starvation is really serious. Perhaps something like con stat loss?