Author Topic: New version of Spell Mastery  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
New version of Spell Mastery
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
After much use of this skill, I see some problems that can be pointed as:

1) Very powerfull.
2) Slowdown the game.

Then this new version try to solve these points and make a more usable skill.

-----------
- The rule -
-----------

- The skill is used automatically with no maneuver.

- For parameters we use the ranks as % of improvement, each rank is a 5%. So 10 ranks are 50%, 20 100%, 40 200%, etc.

- For other effects we use the bonus, computes like this: 111-50-mod., that is, 61-mod, as mod is negative we add it. Examples, +1 target 61+30=91 (we need a bonus of 91+ to use this option).
As you can see this supposes a roll of 50, but uses the 111 as success with no possibility to use near success (90) that get 80-90% (I don't remember exactly) of desired effect, to compensate.

- If used, roll a SCSM adding the ranks in skill to your spell bonus.

- For faster play, we have some possibilities:

1) Don't require a SCSM, if you think now is enough limited, as it costs good DPs, you could reward character for buying ranks in the skill (see that for other effects we need a great bonus) simply allowing him to use spells with more power.

2) Join all the spell rolls into 1, a good example is the next:
I want to cast a spell with improved range, I have enough ranks to hit the target if I use SM, then I do an unique roll, I roll a 05, that is an open-roll to substract for SCSM, then I roll again and substract for check SCSM success, imagine that is a success (adding all the bonuses for spell), anyway I use the 05 for the attack instead roll again (as spell attacks are not down open-ended).
For up open-ended attacks (like bolts) you could use the same open-ended result used in SCSM, if any.

3) A mix, require only a SCSM for other options but not for parameter improvement, that are more used.

--------------
- End of rule -
--------------

I think is balanced, as the skill is not so cheap it must be usefull, but at the same time must be under game balance.

Now is work for each one to tune it, as choose the "parameters", at first I didn't use damage as one.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New version of Spell Mastery
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
1) Very powerfull.
How so? RM2 skill? RMSS, RMFRP?
In RM2, "each individual spell requires separate skill development", which is way than enough not to make the use of the skill widespread, thus powerful.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »
RMFRP, playing RM2 yet? change to RMFRP that is better ;)

Offline solmead

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
It's the same in RM FRP you have to develop Spell Mastery individually for each list you want to use it for. I've never seen a character develop it for more then one or two list, it would be way to much cost.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »
I really like the  "one Spell Mastery covers the entire List" rule of RMFRP. But that's not putting down the other versions...

And the "5% per Rank" bonus for Parameters is something I could use. :)

Anything to reduce rolls! Except for crit rolls.. I could add those all day and no one would complain, but the minute you add one more roll to something else..... :'(
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
In the case of crits. we are opposite, we like it!  :D, the tension before the roll is great.