Author Topic: What is Arcane?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What is Arcane?
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
 I know someone asked this Q a while ago and I wanted to think about it before I answered. But my search-fu is not as powerful as I thought it was and I cannot find the thread anymore. So here is it anyway.

IMO Arcane magic is primal and more powerful in nature in most ways than refined magic [ie the three realms]. Arcane can tap into the elements, weather, earth nodes and other abilities that are beyond the refined spell caster. For example in my game all summoning requires a ritual and I would let an Arcane caster summon low level things without a ritual. 
 Now is this more powerful? In some ways yes and in others no. As I would have increased spell failure, increased PP cost as well as the only way to learn would be to have a teacher or trying to self teach. Also the Arcane realm would not have access to the refined spells of the three realms. So no shield or blur spell's as IMO they are refined spells and are not primal enough. I can see an Arcane caster having a wind wall that did the same thing as shield but how they got there is different and it would not be a second rank spell more like a 4-7th with extra abilities like a higher deflecting missiles bonus besides the +25 to DB.
 1) As for increased PP that is do to the inexact nature of the spells they just cost more to get the effect you want. They leak so to speak.
 2) Also we have all heard the phrase "You can not get there from here!". Or at least I hope you have. That is what is going on with the Arcane realm some spells can be found in the three realms at higher rank [maybe lower PP cost though] but many cannot be refined enough for the 3 realms to cast safely. I might x5 or more the spell failure for a refined caster trying to cast an Arcane spell. I would do the same for the Arcane caster trying to cast a three realms spell but maybe x3 or so instead of the x5, or maybe x1.5 to x3 PP cost for three realms spells.

Well more later but I wanted to get those thoughts down before I slept tonight.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What is Arcane?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »
Perhaps one of these were the thread that you were looking for:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=4246.0

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=1667.0

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=3110.0

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »
 The first one was the thread I was thinking of. Since they are in the archives I guess I will leave this one and see if any more thoughts come to me.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:52:24 AM »
I agree with your take on what the arcane is - Primal and unrefined. I.e. No Arcane professions. (Archmage or Arcanists are not arcane professions IMO even though they can learn arcane spells cheaper than everyone else)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »
I agree with your take on what the arcane is - Primal and unrefined. I.e. No Arcane professions. (Archmage or Arcanists are not arcane professions IMO even though they can learn arcane spells cheaper than everyone else)

I think that is a very good idea. No professions at all just other professions using powerful magic from the past that "people" have evolved beyond using safely. This also allows various daemons, devils and other powerful creatures to use arcane magic with out as much of a problem.

Maybe there should be a level requirement to use arcane without as much danger. Say 20th level for a 20% spell failure rate and a 15% spell fumble rate. If lower level 50% spell failure and spell fumble rate.
 But maybe I am too harsh.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
Somewhat harsh I would say :D

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
It's not harsh IF you don't want people to use it. :)

IIRC, the Arcane fumbles are pretty mean. With a penalty that big, it wouldn't take long before most people give it up.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
A) I would also not have any subtle spells available to Arcane casters like charm and such.

B) also all arcane spells would have physical manifestations even if the effects were not that noticeable. For example the wind wall spell above everyone/almost everyone would see blue-white air rushing in and forming the wall. Once again this goes for my suggestion of no subtle spells or all spell effects visible.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.