Author Topic: Hybrid Casting  (Read 1650 times)

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hybrid Casting
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »
In the beginning of a new game.  One player is playing an ESS/Ment hybrid and wants to know if he can learn spells on the base list of a Chan/Ment hybrid caster.  I know how I would answer, but I am just another player.  Looked through all the topics in this foerum for RMSS/RMFRP and the rules site, but did not see anything.  Opinions please would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hybrid Casting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »

Note: I think this may have come up before so you may want to do a search of the archives.
Note: This is just off the top of my head but it may be explained in one of the books such as the Arcane Companion. 
Note: IMHO, The final ruling always is with the GM as it is there game.  There are rules and DP costs for learning base lists outside of your realm. But in this case a hybrid trying to learn a base list of another hybrid I would rule that it should follow the other realm 1 rules.
MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »
Personally, I would treat hybrid lists as Other Realm for anyone who didn't have both realms. Because otherwise it lets casters get spells that are effectively not from their own realm(s).

I probably would not allow them to start with the list at all, unless there is a good explanation that is central to the character concept (unlikely). If they want to learn it from another PC at the high cost, ok. It would be difficult to get taught in game, any teacher would quickly decide the character "does not have the aptitude" to learn it, and is unlikely to want to waste their time on this difficult student.

I do believe in fairly strong separation between realms. You might rule differently if you see all magic as the same and the realms just as three styles of casting.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Found a ruling: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10602.msg134402#msg134402
A single realm spell user learning a hybrid list learns the list as Own Realm Other Base, as long as the hybrid shares a realm with the single realm user. [2, 12/13/99]

Not what I would rule for my game (as already stated), but there you go.

It's still up to the GM to decide whether characters have free access to learn any spell list, or if they want to apply restrictions. That's setting-dependent.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
What jdale said as far as official rules.  However...

If a player wants to learn another Channeler's base lists that's a slightly different matter depending on the GM.  IMO, the caster would need to be fairly strongly tied to the source of those spell lists (Religion, Deity, Ideal, whatever).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
 I agree that I also have restrictions placed on Chann spell lists and you have to worship the Deity in question to use the list or have a deity that will agree to provide you "power" for the spell list.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.